Elizabeth Solari's Trusty Vacuum Flask

Bsmiffy78

BYOND Key: Smifboy78

Character name: Elizabeth Solari

Item name: Insulated Coffee Mug

Why is your character carrying said item to work?

Solari runs a very busy lifestyle, due to running dual contracts with both the Sol Alliance Army Engineering Corps (Reserves) and Nanotrasen. She tailors a custom sleep-schedule, ignoring Biesel's regular day-night cycle, waking up around 6 or 7 hours before her shifts start on the Aurora in her downtown Mendell apartment. She starts her day exercising and is quickly rushed out the door to the Nanotrasen Spaceport to get to work on time, conjoined with this, she is a (undiagnosed) mild insomniac, averaging about 5 hours of sleep each cycle. She, in all seriousness, runs on coffee. It's annoying to have to pay credits for a tiny cup of coffee at work, when one could easily bring their own flask from home. Above all else, this simply seems like an overall economic and logical item.

Item function(s):

Lid Opening Check

Used to determine whether or not the lid is open or closed, and do the opposite.

Initialize a boolean variable 'lidopen' to know whether or not the lid is open or closed.

If activated in hand && lidopen = False: Local message: "[Player name] pops open the flask's lid."

If activated in hand && lidopen = True: Local message: "[Player name] closes the flask's lid."

"Drinking" Check

Used to simulate character taking a sip from the coffee mug, no actual drinking functionality necessary.

If user clicks on own sprite with object in hand && lidopen = True: Local message: "[Player name] takes a sip from the [item name]."

If user clicks on own sprite with object in hand && lidopen = False: Player message: "You need to open the lid first!"

Additional Checks

If user clicks on a local PC sprite with object in hand && lidopen = True: "[Player name] shows off the [item name] to [Player2 Name]. What a selfish bastard."

If user clicks on other sprite with object in hand && lidopen = False: Nothing.

The above is to make sure that the item is not used as a weapon. Though throwing it may give the recipient a knot on the head.

Item description:

"Caffeine is my shepherd;

I shall not doze.

It maketh me to wake in green pastures;

it leadeth me beyond the sleeping masses.

It restoreth my buzz;

it leadeth me in the paths of consciousness for its name's sake..."

And if the above is not acceptable: Oooh! Coffee!

Item appearance: A retextured Vacuum Flask sprite with a matte black finish, and a silver strip across the middle that looks like it has some sort of logo on it in black lettering.

Additional comments: :D

Edited by Guest

I'd find this to be interesting. Especially if Elizabeth lays it laying on tables like a real engineer so that people can actually interact with it.

But regardless, just having a message that she's drinking from it (maybe have a % chance of happening to avoid spam) could spark some interesting RP.

But regardless, just having a message that she's drinking from it (maybe have a % chance of happening to avoid spam) could spark some interesting RP.

Precisely the intended point. I wouldn't plan on it being an actual drink receptor, and I'm going to edit that into my OP. I just want it to be an item with the appearance of a vacuum flask to ease the integration process. No drinking glass functionality needed or anything, just a message that pops up.

Edit: Edited the item functionality to be a bit more specific using my three years of Computer Programming class to the best of my ability. Not exactly aware of how the coding stuff works, especially not in Dreammaker, or whatever its called, but hope I helped ease the process a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...
What RP value does this have? What are you expecting to make out of it in-game?

Not snowflakey enough for ya?

Jokes.

I just figure that it would make sense for someone to bring their own coffee flask to work as a way to avoid paying for a Styrofoam cup half-full of some caffeine-substitute. Plus, I often highlight during rounds Liz's lack of sleep as a way to express that she carries a busy lifestyle.

Am I trying to use this as a way to express some sort of huge backstory?

No.

It is simply an object used to increase the immersion-level for myself and those around me. I understand that other people have custom items that help explain some of their character's backstories in-game, and I recognize that this item might seem less important due to that fact, and that's fine.

@KillerHz: Looks gr8 m8, dank'e :D

• 8 months later...