Dwarf Fortress Succession Game

Guest Bokaza

Once again, I'm very sorry for deading the last succession game. Atop of slow FPS the game crashed and I lost two months worth of progress. Then I tried again and it crashed again. Figures. Then I changed PC and lost the save. Shame and all, it was a great save.

We can continue it, it's just that no one's shown interest to kick it off. I honestly don't have patience to try mine for the third time. So, let's start a new one, but this time, use the 0.34 ☼Masterwork☼ version instead. For those who are new to it, I wouldn't be surprised if they found even more daunting than regular Dwarf Fortress. Aside from being the largest, most advanced mod for DF, it also allows you to play other races and actually reduces lag by a significant count.

Masterwork download link (It comes with a "decent" manual. Download for more details.)

So, the mod offers you to play as:

• Dwarves - Self-explanatory. Mod offers extended options such as rune magic or some shit, religious buildings, some more advanced tech, guilds and extended metal industry.
  • Humans - Peasants, traders, knights, surface dwellers. They are a more mundane, surface version of Dwarves. Average. No advanced metallurgy past steel and some other. Guilds, cannons, firearms, some magic (I think).
  • Kobolds - Tribal scum. Wooden and bone weapons, shitty metallurgy. Also some other stuff. Guaranteed humor and !!fun!!
  • Succubi - My favorite. A race of filthy ERPers lust demons that specialize in dark magic, minions and whips. I've seen a combat log where one of them erases a gnome invasion from existence. She dodged bolts and lobbed several heads off in turn using an orachulum blade-whip, and she wasn't even highly trained. Not a whip, a blade-whip. But yes, high agility fighters. Evil, so you'll get attacked by the "good guys", whose prisoners you can turn to your sides as part of a servant cast.
  • Gnomes - A druid - tech combo. Have some advanced tech like electricity and steam. Generally weak in combat and have to use machines and animals. Should be fun for those of you who are engineering oriented.
  • Orcs - Warrior culture. Has semi-complex castes. You can raid other civilizations for slaves and resources (probably done through a workshop with no actual on screen raid).
  • Warlocks - Basically, necromancers. You have your evil mages and you support them with hordes of undead and summoned creatures. Supposedly has a complex caste system that's bound to make your head spin. You can, however, turn your mages into one-man armies.

You can turn off many of these features like magic and guilds through the inbuilt launcher. Once enough folks sign up, I might ask folks to make a poll to see which of these you boys and girls want to play or see.

Well DF and Masterwork is nice and all but I can't imagine finding much fun in dealing with someone else's stuff with no idea where everything is.

I doubt other players would appreciate my habit of assigning almost every Dwarf/Orc/Humie/etc as "worker's" who do everything with priority paid to having something done when I queue it rather then getting ultra speshul high quality.

Well DF and Masterwork is nice and all but I can't imagine finding much fun in dealing with someone else's stuff with no idea where everything is.

I doubt other players would appreciate my habit of assigning almost every Dwarf/Orc/Humie/etc as "worker's" who do everything with priority paid to having something done when I queue it rather then getting ultra speshul high quality.

I do the exact same thing, leaving a few specialized dwarves now and then. It wouldn't be an issue, at least for me. It's actually easily fixed by reassigning the dwarves, if they player wants to minmax. Not everyone does.

As for the issues with succession forts, the whole point of them is the chaos that ensues when multiple people design the same thing, not to mention megalomaniac projects that are extremely expansive and leave annoying consequences. Not sure if you ever tried.

At any rate, I currently have one potential player and he opted for Dwarves. What do you say? If anything, which race would you like to see played?

At any rate, I currently have one potential player and he opted for Dwarves. What do you say? If anything, which race would you like to see played?

I'm experienced with orcs but I can most likely do Dorfs too, the only things I wouldn't want to do are Kobolds and Warlocks.

Do Dwarves have anything for mass wood burning? I have a huuuuuuge issue with finding fuel bearing ores (as in, none actually existing on the map.) and tend to have to make do with mass charcoal production.

Do note that I've never brought anything past year two (mostly due to getting bored though.).

I am also utterly terrible at properly training military so you may have !!FUN!! depending on what points it's my turn.

I've always had issues with finding lignite and bituminous coal, which is why Elves are best friends. As for dwarves, not sure, haven't played Dwarves in Masterwork, yet. As far as I've seen there is an option for the pottery to collect peat and compress it (if you can't mine compressed to begin with), then turn it into 1-3 fuel + ash (which is surpringly useful) + slag (for making concrete). As you know, ore is less valuable and needs refinement, but dwarves have that covered.

As for trading, it can be useful if you buy actual ore. Like, you can buy almost all types of stone from the dwarven traders, resulting in cheap rare metals. Other than that, you can save thread by buying actual cloth as opposed to waving your own, thread being more valuable of a material. Also, anvils, all the anvils. They are your primary source of iron if you lack iron-bearing rocks.

Military, again, same. The last succession fort we (one I fucked up) somehow had two units full of master and legendary warriors before my turn came. The count literally ran around just one-shotting everything with a spear to the face. Whoever did that can probably explain how, but in retrospect, it's probably simple as assigning a squad to train constantly for two years.

I'll put you on the list, Xander, but you'll probably get lost in a semi-functioning fortress. I suggest you run a fortress first and try to figure out the basics if you've never played, you are currently 5th in order of succession, so you'll have time.

I'm going to make a post about it once I'm done planning. Suggestions are still open, but the current order is.

Me, Chaz (who's banned and probably won't post), Wer6, you, Xander (if he wants).

Bokaza, babe. I definitely want in on this.

No. Get fucked.

On a sidenote, the new patch just came out. Not sure if we should try it instead, but there is always that issue of lag. I swear to god, the game always goes super slow during the first few years.

Bokaza, babe. I definitely want in on this.

No. Get fucked.

On a sidenote, the new patch just came out. Not sure if we should try it instead, but there is always that issue of lag. I swear to god, the game always goes super slow during the first few years.

Whether we're using the old version (the one that has been around for years) or the new version (with bigger trees, 'it was inevitable', climbing, etc) would affect whether or not I'll participate, I have yet to motivate myself to get used to the new version.