Oldark's Whitelist Application

BYOND key:

Oldark

Character names:

Emanual Rowley, randoms

How long have you been playing on Aurora?:

nearly 2 weeks

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?:

There are a lack of heads available during the hours I play. Particulary missing are those of Captain, HoP,

and Chief Engineer

Why did you come to Aurora?:

The often longer shifts and the reputation for good roleplayers. When my primary server was down I asked for recommendation for an

alternate and was directed here. I'm sticking around because I realized that the quality of the regulars on Aurora is excellent

after I met and got to know a little of some of the other players and intend on playing here primarily.

Have you read the BS12 wiki on the head roles you plan on playing?:

Yes

Please provide well articulated and argumented answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:

Roleplay is assuming a fictional role for yourself and acting in the interests and mannerisms of said role. It should be

about having fun but a key part of it is to not destroy the fun of others. Good roleplay is like communicating in a

relationship, you each must respect and build off of the other's actions and statements.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?:

Just to set a good example to other players. Play your role, have fun, be respectful. If a member of your department has questions about

how things work that they should know IC, then help them out. No one wants to be the mechanic that can't figure out how to open his

toolbox until someone embarrasses him IC.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:

Similar to the above. Whitelisted players in general should be members of the community that are held to a higher standard in both

attitude and roleplay. Related to that, just because someone is whitelisted doesn't mean they should try every job. If all you've ever

played is medical, then you shouldn't jump into a game as Chief Engineer. Its your responsibility to make sure that you can play the

role you choose to play.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name:Emanual Rowley

Character age:38

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs):

Emanual "Manny" Rowley is a 38 year old nanotrans mechanic. He served his apprenticeship on Aurora Station

and was promoted to Station Engineer by Captain Avery with commendations for keeping his head during emergencies.

His highest ratings are in singularity operation, particle accelerator operation, solars operation and overall

electrical grid maintenance but he displayed adequate knowledge of all of engineering before Captain Avery

approved his promotion to Station Engineer at the age of 29.

He's spent the last several years acting as a mechanic and engine technician on various nano-trans stations but

mostly Aurora. Manny tries to keep a quiet shift for the most part, preping the station to be as stable as possible and has a

talent for organizing his fellow engineers when necessary. When he has multiple off shifts he has been known to

use his father's connection to get a flight to and pursue an apprenticeship on Urist McStation where he is

attempting to learn to operate supermatter engines as well.

What do you like about this character?:

He focuses on his job, doesn't think of himself as a hero but will put himself in danger if its his job to do so.

What do you dislike about this character?:

Trying to play him as always helpful and determined to do his job can get in the way of trying out new things. I make it a priority to

give assistance when it is required of him in even minor ways. Makes him a little of a pushover at times.

Do you think this character is fit to be a Head of Staff? (Please note that Head characters must be over 30, unless given special clearance):

Yes

Why?:

Manny is devoted to his job and part of that job as a station engineer is to protect the station and its crew from the hazards it

encounters. His quick thinking lends itself well to distruting the required work among others, especially in emergency situations (which

seem to arise all too often for engineering). He's friendly to everyone and would take a particular interest in the well being of the

crew in his department.

Please provide well articulated and argumented answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?:

Above average. I've been roleplaying both online and in person for nearly 2 decades and I love it. Its always exciting to come up with

a new character concept and take his or her mindset into an uncontrolled environment to see what comes out of it, and there's always

your comfortable old favorites you can come back to and enjoy time and time again.

Extra notes:

I haven't been on Aurora as long as most of you but I've loved the time I've spent here. There seems to always be a shortage of heads

available and I would make a good candidate for whitelisting because I'm not only willing to play them, but I would enjoy it. I'm

primarily interested in Chief Engineer and Head of Personnel at the moment but eventually I would like to make consistant characters

to start learning other departments.

• 2 weeks later...

First, sorry for the late reply. We've been restructuring our staff and applications have sort of been in limbo for a while due to it.

Giving your application a look, it seems fairly solid. CEs aren't generally the most troublesome kind of head, but you've demonstrated you have a good grasp of what head roles should be about (yes, setting example and ensuring everybody's fun first and foremost). The backstory is also solid, with a very believable and balanced character to make a CE.

I haven't seen you in-game, so I'll try to keep an eye out if I can, but if not, one thing I'd ask is that you try to ask a few people you know to come here and provide feedback on your app. If you can get a positive endorsement or two, I'll have no qualms with approving this.

• 3 weeks later...