[Denied] Ender Octanus Head Whitelist Application

BYOND key:

Octanus

Character names:

Outis, RAMPANCY, Ender Octanus, Helena Octanus

How long have you been playing on Aurora?:

2-3 months, previously played on my other account, SPARTAN-113. Lost the password for it.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?:

To have more fun with more roles that I am experienced with.

Why did you come to Aurora?:

I like roleplay, and I like Aurora's lore and consistent playerbase.

Have you read the BS12 wiki on the head roles you plan on playing?:

Hundreds of times.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:

Roleplay is the ability to portray a person or setting that does not exist in reality. It requires a vivid imagination, and good communication skills. It does little good to experience roleplay if you can't convey those experiences to those around you.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?:

To ensure that the crew have a sense of guidance for their departments, as well as establishing an in-game chain of command. They should also help show players how to properly perform their roles, and how to use the game mechanics. Last but not least, spice things up and make the round fun for your department!

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:

Whitelisted players should be knowledgeable about the roles they are whitelisted for. They should also be helpful to other players OOCly, and should be held to a high standard to provide a positive impression of the server as a whole.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name:

Ender Octanus

Character age:

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs):

Ender Octanus had a pretty boring childhood. He went to school and did things that kids do, like play online games and kick soccer balls. He became a leader in his community at a young age however, and so NanoTrasen had their eyes upon him for quite some time due to his exceptional grades and high capacity to learn.

He quickly became the Chief Engineer on an emergency response vessel that did work in the Sol System. Countless stations and ships were saved, though in one incident, Ender's left hand was lost when a derelict slammed into the ship he was boarding.

Given the choice between his left hand in an airlock, or his life, he was forced to take a welding torch to the limb and remove it. In recognition of his services and the nature of his resolve, NanoTrasen has since sent him to many sectors and he has ultimately ended up aboard the NSS Aurora.

What do you like about this character?:

He is fun and quirky, but pressure always brings the best out in him. He is rational and methodical, and even when he doesn't know what to do, he can manage to inspire his fellow crewmembers.

What do you dislike about this character?:

He dislikes when someone else knows more than he does, especially when he feels that he has seniority. Ender has a habit of flirting excessively while on the job, and can be very messy and slobbish. Those who do not know him might easily be put off by his bold and down-to-business nature, meaning he has many acquaintances but few friends.

What do you think makes this character fit to be a head of staff?:

Ender puts his life on the line everyday along with those around him, and when a life-or-death decision comes up, he is always the first to act. Though this could be a bad thing in some situations, his quick responses often tip the scale of disasters.

He has a quick wit and often has very unorthodox solutions to problems, which also comes with lots of skepticism from his peers. His job comes before everything else.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: Very good. Extremely experienced, but naturally always learning! I have been roleplaying for just under ten years, in many different settings and atmospheres.

Extra notes:

Been playing SS13 since early 2010.

I don't like his backstory. You don't get a high-ranking position as an apology or a condolence-gift because you got hurt, and absent the whole thing about hand cutting, it's just "Ender Octanus got the job as a young man because he was so smart and good at stuff."

I disagree, it wasn't due to an injury at all. He had a lot of experience doing what he did, and then when the odds were against him and his crew, he still managed to survive, if barely. That's the sort of quick thinking that NanoTrasen would value in an engineer, one that can readily adapt to many different situations and still make it out alive, WHILE doing their jobs.

But as a quick edit, is that a reason you wouldn't like to see me in Head of Staff positions, specifically? Or is there another reason? I've always played as a competent engineer.

I don't like his backstory. You don't get a high-ranking position as an apology or a condolence-gift because you got hurt, and absent the whole thing about hand cutting, it's just "Ender Octanus got the job as a young man because he was so smart and good at stuff."

I disagree, it wasn't due to an injury at all. He had a lot of experience doing what he did, and then when the odds were against him and his crew, he still managed to survive, if barely. That's the sort of quick thinking that NanoTrasen would value in an engineer, one that can readily adapt to many different situations and still make it out alive, WHILE doing their jobs.

But as a quick edit, is that a reason you wouldn't like to see me in Head of Staff positions, specifically? Or is there another reason? I've always played as a competent engineer.

I actually have never seen you play, or at least, never seen you do anything notable. I'm just responding to the app as written.

I actually have never seen you play, or at least, never seen you do anything notable. I'm just responding to the app as written.

I am almost always playing as a station engineer though sometimes I am RAMPANCY the AI. I guess it's normally a good thing if you don't hear an engineer screaming a lot over comms though... Tends to go with bad things.

• 2 weeks later...
I've had interactions with Ender and everything was fine. I read through your responses and I think it will work! +1

I agree with this. However, I find your backstory a bit too short for my liking, so I'm going to have to stay neutral leaning towards a +1