[Denied] Kats' Head of Staff Whitelist Application

BYOND key: Kats

Character names: Kaitlyn Sinclair

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: Off and on for probably 6-8 months, though I've played on probably half a dozen Baystation servers overall.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: Mainly because of CMO. I used to play as Chief Medical Officer on a couple early Baystation RP servers.

Why did you come to Aurora?: Very solid userbase with good uptime, relatively low latency for the most part and is a good RP server, things I always enjoy.

Have you read the BS12 wiki on the head roles you plan on playing?: Many, many, many times.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:

In its simplest definition, roleplay is about facilitating a group story to allow everyone participating to have fun. It's not about creating a fantasy power trip where your character is, for all intents and purposes, God. Good roleplay starts with good character design and revolves around characters who are both interesting to play as, as well as interesting to play with. SS13 makes introducing new characters easy since, like at many workplaces, you know little about people when they first start working, only what their job entails (and sometimes not even that). This allows characters to organically dive deeper into their personality and backstory by allowing their occupation to facilitate meaningful relationships with the rest of the crew.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?:

Heads of Staff are intended to facilitate roleplay within a given department. They assign jobs, force interaction and try to make every character beneath them feel like they're part of a story. It doesn't have to be a grand adventure or anything, just making sure that they don't leave anyone out. If a subordinate of a department ever feels like their job is boring, it's probably because the head of staff hasn't been interactive enough to have them doing anything worthwhile.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:

Helping people understand and learn the game, first of all. While most information about jobs or things can be pulled from the wiki, there's a lot of small stuff that's more easily explained immediately, such as chat channels and all of that. Secondly, whitelisted members are often people who are respected in OOC. People who have been on the server a while and everyone knows. If these people behave poorly, new people may end up correlating experienced players with griefers or whatnot, setting a false precedence for how the rules of the server actually are. Since players the more people know are typically given warnings about behavior rather than someone new, who might just be seen as a troll and be instantly banned, new players can see these guys get away with antics and think that's acceptable behavior, when it's not.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name: Kaitlyn Sinclair

Character age: 30

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs):

Kaitlyn originally did not start out here career in the medical field. She actually graduated the Steel Falls University of Technology on Mars in 2448 with a major in Robotics Software Engineering and a minor in Psychology. Her first job after college was as a Software Developer for Halworks R&D programming medical devices. In 2450, Halworks was bought and absorbed by NanoTrasen. Kaitlyn's application for transfer to NT R&D was denied, regardless of her previous employment. Requiring work, Kaitlyn put in an application as a Psychology Intern for NT, to much her surprise, she was hired.

She received her NTC-M07 Psychiatric Certification 6 months later and her contract would station her aboard the NSX Valdoste, a mobile communications relay cruiser. Over her 3 year station, she continued her education, receiving her M01, M02 and M04 Medical certifications to begin moving her training from psychology, to the medical field as a whole. She would serve as the Medical Officer aboard for only 3 months before the eventful tragedy of the Valdoste. Due to an explosive decompression event aboard the ship, the crew was picked up by the medical frigate, the Spirit of Vanguard and her entire right arm was amputated. She was implanted with cybernetic prosthetics for her new arm.

Kaitlyn would stay in rehabilitation for a year before being released for duty again. Her contract with NT was closed and paid out, but she ended up signing a 6-year extension. This time, she would be stationed aboard Baystation 12 as the lead psychologist. Within 5 years, she had attained the position of Chief Medical Officer, working hard through many complications the station has had. In early 2459, NanoTrasen had begun renegotiating her contract. Kaitlyn would be moved, this last time, from Station 12 to the Aurora. While they agreed not to cut her pay, this move forced Kaitlyn to demote from CMO to Psychologist again, unwilling to move the station's current CMO.

Kaitlyn felt a bit cheated and a bit bitter, but ended up reapplying for Chief Medical Officer soon after her arrival aboard the Aurora, prepared for whatever clown fiesta had in store for her next.

What do you like about this character?: She's a relatively well-developed character, historically speaking. She has interesting moments in her background of both her ups and downs. It shows off her persevere character, but also that she's not opposed to throwing away her work to move to something with more prospects. She respects loyalty, but won't overlook other opportunities, should they be better for her in the short term.

What do you dislike about this character?: She's a bit directionless and overall a bit unfulfilled from a personality standpoint. Her motivations are clear, but who she is and how she acts is not something set in stone.

What do you think makes this character fit to be a head of staff?: She's a strong character with experience as a leader. She's good at getting people to communicate as well as keeping things moving forward. In an antagonist situation, she likes to move quickly, but quietly. She understands when time is against her and how to carry out her plans with the most efficiency.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: I'm not going to boast like I'm the best RPer to have ever graced the server or anything like that, but I've written guides on the subjects of character design and creation and I think I should really let those speak for my experience with both writing and storytelling. One facet of a good roleplayer is knowing how to be a good NPC, and I think I've hit that balance well.

https://forums.massivecraft.com/threads/unique-character-design.40515/ - Very well received character design guide by the MassiveCraft community.

Extra notes:

• 4 weeks later...