[ACCEPTED] Granodd's Whitelist Application For: IPC

BYOND Key: Granodd

Character Names: Eacles Menzer, Victor Clarke, T.H.E.R.O.S (AI)

Species you are applying to play: IPC (Baseline)

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt):

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: Robotic or synthetic races have always been of great interest to me in any sort of game I play, and often prove to be some of my favorite characters. This love of fictional races is dwarfed only by races which exist almost solely in fantasy settings, though I do love automatons in those settings as well. Synthetics and robots provide an interesting trait to a character which isn't easily possible with many others, that being the fact that they are artificially created, and thus easily a subject of controversy. While synthetics can emulate organics to a degree that they're nearly indistinguishable, they cannot eliminate the fact that they are manufactured, not born, and that they are not "natural" in any way. Subjective matters like emotions or whether or not these artificial beings possess souls or not are also of hot debate, in addition to whether or not they actually deserve to be treated equally to organics. It's this inherent nature of artificial beings that interests me, that their mere existence somehow makes them not worthy in some regard simply because they are not natural, and forces them to either accept that fact, or struggle to find an identity in a world that does not fully accept them.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: As mentioned before, primarily the fact that IPCs are manufactured and not born. They are synthetic beings who are vastly different from organics in many ways, and similar only in their intelligence, as well as their mostly humanoid forms. IPCs to my knowledge do not possess the same basic rights as many of the organic crew either simply due to their robotic nature. While the humans and other organics of the station need to worry about whether or not they have enough food to eat, air to breathe, and whether or not something is toxic/radioactive/infectious to them, IPCs dismiss this. Though while they possess such vast immunity to these elements which would otherwise endanger organics, they are the only ones among the crew who must fear for EMPs, which arguably can prove to be more deadly and unpredictable than many of the dangers that are present to the crew simply due to their rare nature and large radii. A synthetic member of the crew must also cope with the stigmatization that is likely to come from fellow coworkers who disagree with the idea of AI as a whole, or unlawed synthetic beings.

Character Name: Jeriko

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

(If this is too long, please let me know and I'll see what I can do to revise it into something shorter, though that might be a bit difficult without gutting too much information)

Manufactured on Io, Jeriko's shell, at the time labeled with the designation "33309873", was one of the many synthetic frames mass produced and later distributed to warehouses, and to be bought en masse by any corporation able to provide the appropriate credits. While none of the corporations purchasing from the manufacturer that made Jeriko truly owned it, it proved to be a cheaper alternative to them, rather than having to build, operate, and maintain their own plants. This was due to the fact that the materials that the manufacturer used were cheap and easy to obtain. Jeriko's frame in particular was constructed from a light metal skeleton, quickly fitted with wires and then layered with a protective aluminum casing similar to that found in aircraft. The individuals who purchased Jeriko's batch of frames did so on behalf of Boyd Arms.

Sitting in storage for a long period of time, positronic brain inside, though not initialized or in any way active, Jeriko's frame waited until the faithful day that a deal came to be that would sign away his ownership from Boyd Arms to an organization known as "The Exchange." After being properly initialized with a basic level AI, Jeriko -at the time still known as "Unit 33309873"- was assigned to a secluded cargo station located upon the world of Reade within the Tau Ceti system as an AI assistant for managing the inventory housed there by the Exchange. Though he started off as simply "Unit 3309873", the other humans working with him eventually grew bored of his dry way of speaking, as well as always taking things they said much too literally; as such, the crew decided to obtain and install a rather cheap personality module into their cargo management unit. The reason for such a personality module's cheap price tag was soon evident, as Unit 33309873 soon adopted a very cocky, matter-of-fact, and often times cheeky personality, as well as an accent comparable to the "New Yorkers" of old Terra within the Sol system. Such personality traits would normally lead to a hasty uninstall of the module responsible, but the workers of the cargo station quickly fell in love with their cargo unit's bold new personality, as it added flavor to his interactions. In addition, it did not affect his ability to manage the inventory to any large degree. His owners would soon grant him the name of "Jeriko."

Jeriko would work as a cargo management unit for many years within the Exchange, until eventually his owners decided to "unofficially" give him a promotion to the position of "Logistics Officer". Jeriko, a bit confused by the change of title, didn't mind it too much, and actually accepted it due to it sounding much more dignified than simply "cargo unit." Though, the change of title soon too came with a change of cargo flowing into station's warehouse. Things much more dangerous and far more illegal than they were previously began finding their way running through Jeriko's inventory lists, many of them brandishing a slightly more sinister logo as well. Not knowing any outside influence, Jeriko did not question any of it in the slightest, as he knew that simply fulfilling his role as "Logistics Officer" was in his best interest. This continued for a few years, until the day came that atmosphere alarms began ringing within the upper levels of the station's complex, followed by the mobilization of the on-station security force of hired guns. The gunfire, shouting and sounds of battle slowly made their way down to Jeriko's level where he, while the noises approached, had been managing the current inventory, deciding it would be best for his self preservation if he did not move to investigate. The source of the gunfire soon moved to confront Jeriko himself in the form of a NanoTrasen ERT, to which Jeriko nonchalantly greeted them and informed them that he was busy, returning to his work. Having not seen a synthetic act in such a way before, as well as his general ignorance of who he was working for, the ERT decided that Jeriko would be seized as an asset from its raid upon the now Syndicate cargo station.

Deciding that nonresistance was the best way to ensure his own survival, Jeriko accepted the change of ownership. However, he did so in such a way that was uncompromising to his personality module's modus operandi. That is, in the most cheeky way possible, much to some of the ERT members' amusement. Presently, Jeriko has been relocated to the NSS Aurora with the primary designation of Quartermaster. In addition, many of his "sensitive" memories from working within the cargo station upon Reade, such as many of the contraband items he worked with, have been copied into NanoTrasen databases and deleted from his hard drive. His personality module, knowledge of working for "The Exchange", his knowledge of how to manage and operate cargo from his time working in the Exchange, as well as the efficient way of distributing it remain mostly intact.

What do you like about this character? I enjoy this character's cheeky nature, as well as his "dangerous" past working for one of the most infamous companies in the Aurora's present day, though now turned to work for the opposition. While the character "Bender" from Futurama wasn't in my mind when I first made this character so long ago, he certainly reminds me of him from time to time. While I wouldn't have him say things like "bite my shiny metal ass", they're certainly things that would be within his character to do. There's also the underlying element of: even while this character has such a cocksure, cheeky attitude, he's still very much synthetic, and so he shouldn't be underestimated to do things without putting good judgement into them before hand. Though this doesn't mean that the character is infallible, and can still make mistakes. Even a machine may be ignorant of information, and thus make misjudgments. There is also the nature of how he may respond to those who don't view him as a person deserving of any form of rights, perhaps treating him as second class. To this he might respond with some snappy insult in return, the fact that he probably does his job better than the person in question could, or simply with an apathetic acknowledgement.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? While I'm particularly humble, and don't like to sing a lot of praise for myself, I would dare to say that my role-playing ability is quite exceptional. I began first RPing back in roughly the 6th or 7th grade in Starcraft: Broodwar (roughly 8-9 years ago) on RP maps within the game. Before that, I had always been someone who enjoyed creating characters and writing stories to worlds, and still very much am. I continued this for some time until eventually I began to RP on World of Warcraft, starting at first with the PTR (days that I dread now that I look back on them and come to realize how awful my quality of RP was) and then moving to retail RP. From there, I searched for a more RP friendly environment, soon finding private RP server to join in the year of 2013, becoming a "Dungeon Master" for it within the same year, and then later on becoming a staff member, and then administrator of such in 2014, still administrating for it to this day. I was introduced to Space Station 13 roughly around the time of September of last year, and quickly fell in love with its roleplay environment melded with an actual game system. I have role-played many different characters, many varying from good to evil, serious to comedic, and male to female. The range of characters that I can do is wide, and there's only a few archetypes that I find myself uncomfortable with.

Notes: I'm not entirely sure, but you may want to go and revise your wiki a bit. While I was reading some of the articles (particularly the ones relating to Necropolis Industries, the Syndicate, and maybe one or two others) I noticed either spelling issues, or sentences that sounded very strange in structure. Some of these are minor, but things like the dates listed in the Syndicate page on the wiki really bothered me, as the main page of the wiki says that we're currently in the year "2459", while the page on the Syndicate wiki mentions dates in the 2460s, which really confused me. Other than that, I haven't much really to add.

So, I'm reading through this (which is difficult enough as it is, I'm tired and it's immensely long), and I read through, occasional small problem, minor quirk of wording I don't too agree with. However, I feel that arguing on those tiny matters would gloss over the simple fact that this is overall an excellent app. Reminds me much of one of my IPC's, though a good deal more exciting. I'd like to bring up two points, however. Firstly, whilst I'm not going to have you change it, do remember that there's absolutely no need to have some exciting backstory filled with bad guys and big events, it's no necessity, nor shall it ever be. Secondly, I'd like to make you aware that several changes will be put in place for IPC's and synthetics either tomorrow or Saturday, and if they aren't then I'm no longer a loredev, so I've got my motivation. Whilst it likely won't affect much people, and most certainly not your IPC, it's something you should be aware of.