[answered] A few questions about the nature of Unathi clans and the Hegemony's workings

'Ello.

Have questions.

• If I have relatives who're willing to confirm that I am part of their clan, even if I, or my clan has no land, I am recognized to be a Unathi part of an official clan? (so long as it was ever actually registered as one)
  • Are Izweski lords currently making vassals out of landless clans?
  • If an Izweski lord is dissatisfied with one or more individuals in their clan, and wants them to be made into a Guwan, are they capable of officially making them into Guwans right off the bat or do they have to issue ultimatums/negotiate with those in the clan about kicking the individual(s) out?

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Hello!

Yes. A clan can be a clan even if it has no land. "Clan" means both "family" and "landowning political unit". It depends on the context. "I am Hissladia of Clan Igwana" could be said during introductions or someone describing you. If you own land as part of a feudal obligation then you're still a clan, you'd just get more flowery and formal with your introduction. "I am Hissladia of Clan Igwana, Clan Leader of Hissladia and Lord of Lizardtown."

In feudalism vassals are given land in exchange for obligations. It would be a little weird to have lords running around without land. Noble titles can be honorary, or they can just be some civil servants or courtiers tied to the lords, but formal titles tend to be directly tied to who owns what land. I guess it's possible based on my research of feudalism but it would be abnormal, and the vassal would probably be a little unhappy to be denied land, or hold onto a title of land now barren and inhospitable due to the Wasteland.

Making someone a Guwan is supposed to be something the direct family can do. A Lord unilaterally forcing a vassal's relative to go Guwan would be very severe and heavy handed. It is possible but if the family wasn't already planning to do it then it would be a massive scandal for that clan, and they might have good arguments to refuse and have to naively hope the courts settle the matter, or openly rebel and hope to do well enough to gain concessions.