Sins of The Father

SINS OF THE FATHER

Synopsis:

After a fight on the N.S.S. Aurora between Levi Siskin and Tim Woolery unearths years of domestic abuse, Martian-Sol authorities were contacted on the behalf of the Siskin sisters. Following the successful conclusion of the trial and the rightful conviction of Levi, Leah obtains his house. With the house, however, she inherits a plethora of sins that she had never known about. As these sins come to the surface and his buried past is revealed to her, it comes to light that a debt is owed. Like a new moon in a starless night, a new chapter of her life is about to begin. Leah can survive through hidden wit and keen senses, but will the fractured psyche barely kept together by her make it through?

PART I - Take Me Home, Country Roads

The electricity in the air could be felt by everyone in the courtroom, as the judge spoke to the jury. Leah didn’t seem to hear anything--not until her sister tapped her. Leah wore a formal yellow dress while Mae wore a green one. Mae leaned in and whispered, “Leah, the Jury’s about to read their judgment on Levi.” She leaned back and squeezed Leah’s hand in anticipation. Leah picked at her nails, shaking somewhat, her heartbeat in her ears, cold sweat beading…

We, the jury of the Twenty-First Elysium Martian court, find the defendant, Levi Siskin…” There was an unintended dramatic pause before the jury foreman continued. “Guilty of two felony domestic violence charges.” Mae let out a soft wail and embraced Leah. Levi scoffed and looked away, gritting his teeth and pulling back his lips as if to snarl like a wild hound. “He is sentenced to a year in jail…” The world faded out for Leah, her vision blurring with the tears from years of pain.

~~~

It felt strange, as she left the courtroom guided by the gentle hands of her sister. Being surrounded by family, blood and not, and friends left her feeling safe. Yet, there was another creeping sensation of unreality. The chatter of her loved ones grew into a deep, humming static as warm arms guided her to the courthouse lobby. The static grew louder and louder, almost into a dull deafening roar. Leah couldn’t think, couldn’t form the words that wouldn’t come to mind, reality was slipping away from her fingertips as all her senses were dulling---

“Lee?” A familiar, masculine voice pierced the shroud. It reminded her that she was there, really there... That she was safe, she was here. Safe in the company of family, safe in the company of friends and away from the man--

“Lee, snap outta it.” Alex Craven was there, snapping his fingers to get her attention. He was semi-formally dressed for the trial. As Leah’s gaze focused and turned to him, he smiled and leaned back, his hands slipping into his pockets. Though, his smile turned into a slight frown as his brows furrowed. Leah returned the smile after a small pause, casting her gaze over those who had come out to support her. There, in a small pocket, were the Woolery’s. The gigantic bear-dad Tim. The athletic psyche Alistair, and the chubby journalist Elise, all chattering amongst themselves. Tim noticed Leah’s sweeping gaze and smiled--she nodded in return. Then there was the small group of “Golden Boys”. It consisted of the golden unathi Uwasv Sidanelv and frontiers-born human Francis Martonis. Then there was her quartermaster friend Yuri Daruski making small talk with a very observant but calm Kalren Halstere. He was clad in his Martian uniform and leaning on his cane for support. Finally, there was her sister, Mae Siskin with her freckled face, standing at a solid 5’9”. She was shaking hands with Angel Schrader, greeting him for the first time as she dabs away tears from her eyes. Leah couldn’t help but feel warm--and happy.

She directed her attention back to a concerned Alex, sounding a little frantic. For the sake of ease and her friends, she spoke Tau Ceti Basic. “Ah, s-sorry, Alex. Was th-there s-something you wanted?” She smiled, albeit a little sheepish. She rubbed her arm, noting it was bare. She wasn’t a fan of dresses, but it was her sister’s advice.

“No no, not at all Lee. Just making sure you were alright.” He noted her nervous tic, something he was used to seeing now. “Hey, uh, Lee,” he stumbled at first, “listen--you did fantastically. He’s gone now, gone for good. He can’t hurt you anymore, yeah? You’ve got your friends here around you who all have your back. I told you, you were strong enough to make it through, and you did, didn’t you?” He grinned at her, reaching over to pat her head, before resting it on her shoulder.

There was a silence between the duo, nothing but the gentle whirring of his Hephaestus prosthetic. Then, a warm, liquid sensation began to well up in her eyes, tears. She pulled Alex into for a hug to hide the tears into his jacket. As she breathed in, her chest rose and as she exhaled, she shuddered. She didn’t want to get his clothes wet...but at least tears didn’t stain. Alex, in an awkward fashion, embraced her and rubbed her back. Breathing in, Leah calmed herself and broke away from the hug, wiping her eyes. “Uhm...th-thanks, Alex. I’ll be okay, for th-the uh, most part I th-think...just a...just a little emotional th-there. Th-thanks for s-supporting me, I uh...didn’t think these many people would care about me.” She spoke, scratching the back of her head before adjusting the sleeves of her dress.

“It’s no big deal, Lee. You’re a friend, one I care deeply for.” Alex smiled and Leah nodded, letting him return to chat with his friends while she began to approach Yuri. Halstere had left Yuri on his lonesome to greet and familiarize himself with Mae Siskin.

“Hey, Yuri.” A nervous smile from Leah.

“Howdy, Leah.” A smile from Yuri, followed by him putting his hands in his bomber jacket pockets, observing Leah’s tense and anxious demeanor. “So...uh, ‘bout that verdict, eh? Holdin’ up alright, aye?”

“...For th-the most part, I th-think I’m okay. My f--” She stopped, pausing before she continued. “Levi got what was coming to him. He can’t hurt us, me and Mae are s-safe.” She frowned at first, but it transformed into a smile that showed her inner spitfire nature, although still hidden by her timid nature.

Yuri, though surprised by this display, was ultimately comforted. He offered her a confident smile, nodding as he shifted side to side. “Good to hear, Leah. We’re here if ye need to talk to someone, aye?”

Leah smiled again. “Thanks for th-the offer, I’ll keep it in mind.” Turning to the group, she had a few more chats with the others. After a little while, she beamed as she got everybody’s attention. “Hello, everybody! I’m uh, going out for lunch and I would like it if you all could come, maybe?” She rubbed an arm. “If you can’t pay, I can help.”

As she left the courthouse with her friends and family, she looked upon their beloved faces. A fuzzy sensation tickled her heart and she couldn’t help but smile, because for once in her life, she felt genuinely loved.

Lunch had never tasted sweeter.

(DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD.)

Edited by Guest