[Processed] Natascha Sukhoi - CCIA Decision Appeal

Appealing Personnel: Natascha Sukhoi - Scientist

Specific Incident: Botched surgery for substitution of prosthetics for organic limbs, leading to passing of Mother Matrella in Robotics' Surgery. Original report attached: https://forums.aurorastation.org/viewtopic.php?f=90&p=100098

Action taken as a result:

-A two week suspension from the NSS Aurora.

-A two week demotion to Lab Assistant, following in sequence directly after the suspension.

-A permanent injunction from any interaction with Robotics, excluding that which is required for RnD. This is including, but not limited to:

--Entry into Robotics.

--Working in Robotics.

--Significant repairs on synthetics, namely beyond what can be done with a welder.

--Advising Robotics personnel on Robotics matters.

--Surgery in relation to Robotics.

--The construction of any form of simple or complex robot or synthetic.

This injunction may be lifted after a period of no less than one month following the expiration of the two week demotion that has been applied, after an appeal is successfully upheld.

-A fine of 15,000 credits will be applied to cover legal costs of the Nanotrasen corporation.

Action contested: All actions

Reasoning for contest: I don't believe I should be punished for the death of a crewmember due to mistakes made by the roboticist. I had no involvement in any of the surgical procedures performed other than providing a whole protohuman for limb harvesting. I didn't advise or otherwise have any say in the procedure, neither assisted with any procedures, nor was I physically present inside the robotics' surgery room at the time of the surgery, as I have next to no experience in that area.

The roboticist confirmed that it was able and experienced enough to perform the surgery when I inquired about it. I had no reason to doubt its judgement, seeing as it was it's department's specialty to deal with prosthetic implants and surgeries on a daily basis.

I do not think it is correct for me be held accountable for the errors of someone else, in someone else's area of expertise, by their own hands, if not a supervising superior.

This would be akin to punishing a Atmospheric Technician for a Phoron Researcher damaging the station using atmospherics-supplied Phoron cannisters.

Thus, I do not feel like I should be found guilty by association, when , other than providing a whole, live, organic body for limb harvesting and reattachment, I had no part in the events that led to the passing of Mother Matrella.

Additional notes: It's worth noting that medical staff outright refused to perform the surgery in the first place after Doctor Fernando Gonzales, who was at first in charge of the operation, went into cryogenic storage, which is why I asked the roboticist if he was able to do it.

TO: Natascha Sukhoi, Scientist, NSS Aurora

SUBJECT: Appeal Receipt Confirmation

--------------------

BODY:

Your appeal for the following incident is currently being reviewed:

Case ID: 24600513 JMcJacko_Jupiter

Date Actioned: 5.25.2460

Handling Agent: Felix Walters

If necessary, you will be contacted by the office of the CCIA Bureau Supervisor to discuss the resolution applied to this incident.

You remain obligated to comply with previous CCIA decisions while this appeal is being processed.

--------------------

DTG: 26-07:54-TAU CETI STANDARD-05-2060

SIGN: Tan

• 2 weeks later...

TO: Natascha Sukhoi, NSS Aurora

FROM: Whitney Foster-Liang, CCIA Bureau Supervisor, Mendell City HQ Bldg.

SUBJECT: 24600513 JMcJacko_Jupiter Appeal

--------------------

BODY:

3 June, 2460

Dr. Sukhoi,

After a review of the facts of the relevant shift, as determined by both the previous investigation and independent review, we have decided to modify the terms of some of the CCIA actions applied to you by Agent Walters. Details regarding each action follow below:

Your administrative suspension will remain unchanged. Your behavior in enabling the surgery that caused the death of Mother Matrella was deemed potentially criminally negligent. Your suspension was applied as an automatic precaution, to allow federal law enforcement to determine the extent of your involvement in the events of the shift, and to potentially assign criminal liability. Note that if charges are pressed, your employment contract will be terminated per the terms outlined therein.

The restrictions outlined in the injunction placed on you that prohibit interaction with the Robotics lab of your assigned facility will remain unchanged. This injunction was applied as a result of a demonstrable history of your inappropriate interference in the work of that lab. Specifically, you have been observed in the past to threaten its staff with the suggestion of lethal weapons, and to abuse its materials by attempting to construct an unauthorized AI core unit. Your continued involvement with this section of your department has now caused a third serious incident, and the discussion to apply this injunction was in the context of whether or not to bother with further discipline, as opposed to the outright termination of your employment contract. Consider these restrictions safeguards that help ensure your continued employment.

Since your appeal of this injunction is itself a violation of its terms (an action not to be appealed until 22 July, 2460), that date will be extended to 22 August, 2460. Additionally, any successful appeal of this injunction will necessarily include a supporting letter of recommendation by either a Research Director or Captain with a demonstrable understanding of your conduct in Research. I suggest you use this additional time to cultivate your professional relationships with the Aurora's management. Other forms of appeal will not be considered.

This office has determined that your administrative demotion is somewhat redundant with other actions, and therefore does not effectively serve its intended purpose. As such, this administrative demotion will be waived, effective immediately. However, the waiving of this administrative demotion will not affect the date on which you were originally permitted to appeal the injunction applied for this incident.

Finally, note that the 15,000cr fine assessed to offset our legal costs is currently held in deposit, pending any criminal proceedings. Should the Company not ultimately be exposed to legal liability, some of this amount will be returned to you, less administrative fees and transaction costs.

In summary, while the reasons for these actions may not have been appropriately communicated to you, they are not pulled from thin air. You are expected to abide by their terms in order to demonstrate that you are worth retaining as an employee. Should something as serious as this ever happen again, it is unlikely that you will have another chance to.

I>

Whitney Foster-Liang, JD-Ph.D

Central Command Internal Affairs Bureau Supervisor, Tau Ceti Operations

NanoTrasen Corporation

--------------------

DTG: 03-12:20-TAU CETI STANDARD-06-2460

SIGN: W. F.-L.