[Accepted] Youbar's Head of Staff Application

BYOND key: Youbar

Character names:Wilhelm Eberhardt, Big Brother, Matthias Waechter, Bishop

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: Two weeks Approaching one month (25 days)

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: The command roles on Aurora Station are often vacant, and I'd like to help fill them. I consider myself able at leadership on the station, having frequently played head roles on other servers, but I'm unable to fully utilise this ability as I'm limited to staff roles.

Why did you come to Aurora?: I like the heavy roleplay elements of it. It's a mindset I have to adjust to, since I'm used to years of playing on low roleplay servers, but I enjoy it because rounds don't go by in a literal flash.

Have you read the BS12 wiki on the head roles you plan on playing?: Of course!

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about: Roleplay is in the name itself. You play a role. Often, this is in the form of a character that you've created. They can be based on yourself, or instead tailored to fulfill a guideline. For example, my Wilhelm Eberhardt character has a guideline to keep speech to a minimum where possible, making him the polar opposite of my character Ludwig Austerlitz, who's a loudmouth. Roleplay is about these types of ideas that you make your characters adhere to, and to a further extent, how they interact with other different characters around them. That's why I find Space Station 13 so addicting: every round plays out differently.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?: The purpose of the Head of Staff is help maintain the momentum of the round. Often, they're the focus of traitorous plots, or one of the main obstacles to a wizard's hold over the station. I often find that without a Head of Staff present, the crew often becomes directionless. The shaft miners don't know what materials to harvest. The chemists don't know what chemicals to make. The officers don't know what duties to fulfill. When you have somebody there who can provide those answers, they can avoid the stagnation of the late game and keep the ball rolling on a department level, allowing the station to function as a series of cogs as it should. As soon as you eliminate the individual giving those orders, things begin to fall apart. In one particular instance while playing security, the Head of Security was killed and when somebody attempted to take charge, they were criticised simply because they were the same rank as the other individuals. This lead to an ineffective and inefficient team.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?: The OOC responsibility of whitelisted players towards other players it be a role model, and to provide an example for newer players as to how they should be acting in the server. To strive to uphold that idea, I'd ensure I'm using characters with three dimensional personalities, and work towards actively abiding by the rules.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name: Wilhelm Eberhardt

Character age: 32

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs):

Wilhelm Eberhardt was born in a German colony in Sol, June 14th, 2426. His parents were terraformers, primarily working engineering relating jobs, and often neglected him as a child in favour of their career. For him, this meant he was rarely away from middle-upper class luxuries, but on the other hand, he was left to himself for the majority of the day. From an early age, he developed a quiet personality, attempting to remain neutral in the majority of affairs. For him, this meant assuming a poker face. In all but the most important of cases, he'd keep his thoughts to himself, and rarely speak without being either addressed, or having something urgent to announce. This quiet attitude allowed him to get through his early life with minimal conflict. At the age of thirteen, he joined the cadets at his rapidly expanding colony town, and was extensively trained in all things military-related. He proved a capable and respected leader.

At the age of eighteen, he joined the local military force as an officer, serving in a patrol vessel tasked with weeding out space pirates. In one particular instance, he'd boarded with a team to detain a group of smugglers. One of the criminals had grabbed a hostage, a gun pointed to their head. Despite negotiations, the eventual result was an accidental misfire on part of one of the military's security crew that lead to the hostage's brains being splattered across the wall. It was here that Wilhelm proved very capable of showing emotion, initially in the form of anger. After a drawn-out firefight, the hostage taker was found wounded on the floor. Wilhelm beat them intensely with his fists, before breaking down into a fit of tears over the now severely concussed individual. The result was, along with one months leave for psychological treatment, an increased desire to minimise conflict where he could. Should that fail, he'd very much pursue an aggressive form of justice, seeking to make the person he felt was in the wrong pay for their crimes. Eight years after this incident, having steadily climbed the ranks to the point where he was commanding a small group of patrol ships, he was offered a high ranking job in the Nanotrasen Security Forces, who were scanning military records for potential leaders.

What do you like about this character?: I like their quietness. As explained above, they were created with the intention of being the opposite of my other character, Ludwig. Instead of engaging in pointless talk, Wilhelm often resorts to brief, clearly intentioned interactions, with an emphasis on politeness and neutrality. The result is that, in my opinion, they become a much more effective and reliable part of the crew when only the most important details are voiced. It's often rare that he disobeys authority, too, with direct orders being carried out by the letter unless he has an intense feeling of disagreement with them. The result is that I've begun to play them far more often, as in my eyes, these qualities are appreciated by the crew, too.

What do you dislike about this character?: I dislike their quietness. Wilhelm, often seeking to avoid petty discussions and minor disputes, rarely gets an opportunity to have his voice heard. In many ways, he is simply seen. This can lead to friction, where he is often questioned why he didn't intervene in a particular incident, and later ridiculed for his inaction. Aside from that, I don't find their aggressive sense of justice helpful. In one instance, he was watching a discussion unfold between a wizard and a security officer. The security officer was killed by the wizard, pulling him back to that event with the hostage aboard the ship. He had the officer cloned, and later actively pursued the wizard against orders, destroying the sensitive peace between the station and the security forces. It wasn't entirely uncalled for, the wizard having actively mocked the one they'd killed, but it certainly wasn't a level headed decision that he usually made.

What do you think makes this character fit to be a head of staff?: Wilhelm's neutrality puts him in a position where he can focus on the more important and pressing issues. People who stay neutral during a conflict are often respected by both parties involved, simply because they reduce the amount of drama and lower the amount of strife. This allows Wilhelm to be sure that the staff underneath him will work towards following his orders, and by keeping the rather regular disputes at a minimal level, ensuring optimal efficiency. Aside from that, his clear and concise speech fits the requirements of how a Head of Staff should speak. Orders can find themselves embedded in a whole bunch of irrelevant text, and this character removes that issue entirely. Overall, I think Wilhelm will serve the role perfectly simply because he forms decision on only the major issues, and works in a manner that appeals to all the staff beneath him.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: 8/10. I'm able to produce a large amount of quality text based on the circumstances around me, but it's not often that I'm required to. My shortfall comes about in that this text is not often connected well. A low roleplay mindset is also something I'm partially overcoming, specifically when it comes to particularly heated circumstances that shouldn't be resolved by game mechanics e.g approaching a wizard with a flash to detain them.

Edit: removed unused characters

Edited by Guest

Will I haven't seen much his "human" character (mostly because we got different timezone and play time), I've encountered Big Brother, and I have to say, one of the Best AI I've seen.

Also, he gave me a good hand writing my character's bio, showing that he's good with RP in general, especially backstory.

Will I haven't seen much his "human" character (mostly because we got different timezone and play time), I've encountered Big Brother, and I have to say, one of the Best AI I've seen.

Also, he gave me a good hand writing my character's bio, showing that he's good with RP in general, especially backstory.

Thank you for the feedback!

I've played with Wilheim and big brother, while I do have to say I'm a bit apprehensive due to your time on the server, those two characters have been quite fun, and big brother especially is fun and unique. Your answers for the questions are quite thought out and explained, so I'll give you a +1.

I see you frequently on the servers and you are active and give meaningful input on the Forums. I can tell how much effort you put into this by the amount of information supplied to us. I haven't had much IC interaction, but I'm sure he could play the HoS role correctly given his OOC conduct. I particularly like the like and dislike sections, where you have conflicting feelings on your characters quietness. I think this is excellent Characterization.

This Head of Staff application has my support.

I see you frequently on the servers and you are active and give meaningful input on the Forums. I can tell how much effort you put into this by the amount of information supplied to us. I haven't had much IC interaction, but I'm sure he could play the HoS role correctly given his OOC conduct. I particularly like the like and dislike sections, where you have conflicting feelings on your characters quietness. I think this is excellent Characterization.

This Head of Staff application has my support.

I've played with Wilheim and big brother, while I do have to say I'm a bit apprehensive due to your time on the server, those two characters have been quite fun, and big brother especially is fun and unique. Your answers for the questions are quite thought out and explained, so I'll give you a +1.

Thank you both for your support. Playtime now would be around one month if that helps ease out your apprehension a bit, Ryan Falcorino, this application being fairly old.