I'm out, homie.

tumblr_mzerofg0zX1rctmv5o1_400.gif

What it says on the tin. Some of you might've noticed I've been playing less and less lately, and probably with a bit less enthusiasm or gusto than I used to. And there's a reason for this.

In light of recent events, and after some thinking and examination of the current server community and environment, I've decided that Aurora isn't really where I want to be right now. Don't get me wrong, there are quite a few of you that I love dearly and have had a great time with, but there's also quite a few people (as always, not naming names) that totally and utterly befoul the experience of RPing here for me.

I'm talking about the people that are constantly being negative, shitty to others, criticizing the habits of their fellow players even while hypocritically doing the very things they condemn. It breaks my heart to see people like this so heavily ingrained in a community that I've been a part of for over two years now. I've been with this group of players since we still played on Apollo, but as more and more of my old friends have left and been replaced with new blood, not all of it to my liking and some (I feel) outright detrimental to the community and what it stands for, I've begun to feel like a stranger in my own home. When I actually take the time to sit down and thoroughly examine the community and it's makeup, I begin to feel like I don't belong here any more.

So I think it's about time I hit the road. I sincerely hope that you all enjoy yourselves. And please, please remember that RP isn't about following all the rules, or having the edgiest 7 foot tall white-haired character. RP is about having fun, more specifically, EVERYONE having fun- not just the elitists.

(P.S, just because I'm not playing here anymore doesn't mean I don't exist. Feel free to hit me up on Steam. We'll play some vidya. Steam: Cthulhu Pakabol)

You aren't the only one, Farcry; I haven't been on the server for quite a while, and I am hesitant to go back on; due to just one or two players I don't want to encounter, because I find them so unpleasant to even talk to.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not leaving, and I'm still happy to chat with people and help with character/ server development; I just feel that there are a number of people in the community that do not mix well with others.

You aren't the only one, Farcry; I haven't been on the server for quite a while, and I am hesitant to go back on; due to just one or two players I don't want to encounter, because I find them so unpleasant to even talk to.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not leaving, and I'm still happy to chat with people and help with character/ server development; I just feel that there are a number of people in the community that do not mix well with others.

Well, I hope I'm not one of those people. If I was, I would like to know, so I would encourage you to talk about this. You got nothing to lose if you already actively avoid the person in question. Yes, sometimes it's better to avoid conflict, but the issue isn't going to fix itself.

Anyway, I'll admit I don't know any of you very well, but I know the feeling when something you've helped create and have been a part off for an year starts to change suddenly. Happened with a WoW server once, I was there from the start. It was a small blizzlike 3.3.5. server, but it was fun, everyone was nice and the community was generally great. When they went Cata, the population exploded, but so did the toxicity in the community. I left the server soon after.

You know. These threads pop up every now and then. I usually smile and wave, forcing a happy and joyful, "Goodbye, and best of luck with whatever!"

Forcing. Why am I doing this, using words which do not belong with my thoughts? Because here we have a member of our community, the reason why we're all here, opting to walk away in a usually disgruntled fashion.

What would I rather do? Sidetrack them. Grab them by the arm, sit them down, and squeeze every single word they have to say about this community, its members, its staff out of them. And then I would address, or see towards addressing these issues, even when I am listed as one of them.

Why don't I do this? Because I don't feel it necessary to interrogate people. They should present these issues themselves, because, at the end of the day, if they don't, then who will speak for them?

Make no mistake, my words are not aimed against FarCry. He is actually a rare exception to the trend noted above, an individual who actively, as both a member and moderator, spent time shaping and working on this community. A commitment and an effort which earns anyone my highest respects. But the trend is still there, still being followed, even by individuals who should know that they can do more than just sit, wait, watch and nod.

The staff are tools. We shape the world to what the community want it to be.

We do pick out toxic people, and gradually work them. But we don't know of all of them. And we cannot act without grounds, lest we be called authoritarian.