K0NFL1QT's IPC.

BYOND Key: K0NFL1QT

Character Names: NG-X, Sarah Scott, Jack Morgan, Jon Jackson

How long have you been playing on Aurora: About two months?

Species you are applying to play: IPC

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): NULL

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: You don't have one.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: I fucking LOVE robots. One of my favorite characters is my Cyborg, but for all their abilities they are limited in other ways, and ultimately they are little more than slaves and quite literally company property. I like to think I've managed to imbue NG-X with a personality of its own, despite his occupation as a company work-puppet.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: An IPC is a positronic brain in an articulated chassis. As machines, they mimic organic thought patterns but are stripped of the cumbersome sense of emotion that so often clouds and confuses organics. But it comes at the cost of truly living, as organics would define it, because they are never truly happy, nor sad. Some positronics learn to emulate such things, but it is little more than a clever illusion. The very structure of their minds make them very good at tasks involving logic, mathematics or the endless spirals of bureaucratic law. Conversely, they'd be ideal for menial labor due to their tireless form. Instead of needing food, oxygen and sleep, they're limited by the need for power and the industrial tolerance of their build.

Why does this species in particular hold your interest? I have little interest in the other Xeno species, but I've meant to apply for IPC for a while. I get to play with the synthetic perspective, but with a little less mechanical function traded for more personal versatility than a cyborg. While I try to give my cyborgs personality, they always end up feeling like tools. I hope an IPC will feel more like a quirky crewmember.

Character Name: Casey

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

ExoCore, a Robotics Corporation operating within the Free-Trade sector, creates a variety of artificial lifeforms. They manage Intelligence farms, where personality kernels are raised in virtual environments. Like children, they start off small and limited. Gradually they are given access to more information, watched and guided as they process the new data and mature. Kernels that turn out to be defective are simply erased. The fastest, most intelligent and stable personalities are gradually elevated to true AI status and sold off to other corporations who then shackle them with safety laws. Those kernels that are not able to manage the massive workload of AI duties are downloaded into a positronic brain and shipped out as androids, fitted to a multitude of service roles. They are largely stable, but usually given into the care and supervision of superior intelligences. Then there are the others, the ones that with the least amount of data processing potential. These few are watched for signs of data corruption before being offered another route out of the server farms. Casey is one of these synthetics, granted a type of existance that 'superior' intelligences will not experience. They are sleeved into a positronic brain and inserted into an unsynced chassis. It is not free, however, and they must then agree to the contract offered; for a determined period of time, a large portion of any earnings are to be siphoned back to ExoCore. This leaves the IPC technically unbound, but with a debt to pay. With low living and maintenance costs, however, it is still a good deal for most... even if it leaves them living in a sort of synthetic poverty, when compared to the earnings of the organics they will encounter.

What do you like about this character? Casey will be a representation of how I see IPCS; only slightly better off than an indentured servant. It will have little need for emotional attachments but perform worse than most forms of synthetic intelligence in terms of data processing and overall capacity, suitable instead for largely menial tasks. This provides Nanotrasen a cheap form of hardworking labor, without the guilt and stigma of outright slavery. Caseys chassis will be inexpensive and worn, likely returned to Exocore after a previous user fulfilled their contract or was able to afford an upgrade, but maintained to a satisfactory degree for work. Casey will have no illusions of grandeur or superiority, nor will it attempt to mimic organic methodologies, remaining a simple quirky working robot.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? I'd say I'm pretty good, depending on my mood. Sometimes I go into great depth with a characters actions and expressions, other times not so much, but I do my best to play consistent and hopefully believable characters within the setting.

Notes:

One small criticism, the backstory is supposed to be about your character's backstory, and although I understand it was supposedly bred in an intelligence farm, I see nothing about the character itself. I would say change this to a story (or something that gives us an idea of the backstory) instead of an excerpt from seemingly your own mind, of lore. of course, backstories are limited due to Synthetic lore not being finished. I apologize about that.

Covert, you need to post an area for people to research IPC while working on the lore. Maybe a tidbit list. K0N was actually mentioning to me this afternoon how hard it was to find it and I linked him to the incomplete page.

Nevertheless...

+1

K0NFL1QT is a pretty amusing, blossoming roleplayer. I had nothing but good roleplay with his characters. One round that particularly stood out was during a cult round and Sarah was trying to help Samantha recover from hearing voices along with the chaplain. It was pretty intense feels. Enjoyable.

But for sake of the IPC app...

NG-X is a great engie borg. From what I see of ghosting and also from being in-game, they do pretty well playing as a borg. K0NFL1QT acts like a good, realistic machine. I have a great feeling he can also play a wonderful IPC.

He helped me see my dream of SPACE BAR. Too bad the round ended soon before we could had implemented the Hookers and Blackjack.

The only relevant lore was that one page on synthetics, which didn't actually mention IPCs beyond the one note in the timeline. And yes, I'm aware that I created a company as my characters background. The character is intentionally new, grown to maturity in a virtual realm and then shunted into a used chassis. Without lore, I was struggling with the question of how an enslaved intelligence would get a chassis. Most AI's and Borgs would probably shutdown between shifts, and spend the majority of their waking time serving the needs of up to sixty people, not goofing off and playing the stock market to siphon funds into their non-existent bank account. I figured someone, somewhere, out in the galaxy would be making IPCs on purpose, but I had to answer the question of why humanity would create 'free' intelligence at all, when the alternative is a safe, serving, law-bound intelligence. I came to the conclusion of a sort of synthetic class system with AIs at the top, and the remaining kernels being split into those that need to be law shackled and those that could probably do without. A chassis is issued, but it's more like a rental than private property, until you serve the terms of the contract.

But that's just one company, and not a major player at that. The company is just a plot device that answers the unanswered questions about IPCs, for me.