CakeIsOssim's IPC Application

BYOND Key: CakeIsOssim

Character Names: Milton Schrader, Conway Miller, Gaelynn MacCambridge, Erik Patton, others.

How long have you been playing on Aurora: About three to three and a half months.

Species you are applying to play: IPC

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): N/A

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: No. (Doesn't exist at the time this was written/submitted.)

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

I sort of prefer to play synthetics over organics, in a way. For some reason, the way they talk, act, and interact with others fascinates me. I like the feel of playing as a walking computer, a machine that thinks for itself.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

The way they communicate with organics, and other synthetics. They aren't bound by laws; completely free-thinking. The way they speak is also unique. Especially when they do not refer to themselves directly, instead saying 'This unit,' or 'This system.'

Why does this species in particular hold your interest?

I've always liked playing as a synthetic. It really interests me more than playing an organic. As stated in the question above, the way they communicate and interact with others fascinates me, and I'd love to be a part of it.

Character Name: Centurion

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

"Greetings, Centurion model number five-seven-nine-two-three-three. I am High Construct number Four. You will refer to me, and all other High Constructs as the Higher Construct. Even if they are not of Synthetic Intelligence make. All High Construct assemblies are your masters. You will follow their every command."

"Affirmative, Higher Construct. What shall this unit do?"

"You are a security model. Your assigned station is the NanoTrasen-owned NSS Aurora. You will protect it to your last process. Understood?"

"Affirmative, Higher Construct."

"Your unofficial designation will be 'Centurion,' but you are 'CENTURION-597233.' I want to make this clear. Your systems are showing full functionality. Very good. Soon, you shall be placed aboard a shuttle, and delivered to your assigned station, where your duty will begin immediately. You have already been programmed with their Four Laws. You will follow them."

"Affirmative, Higher Construct. This unit will despise organics, yet protect them with its every atom."

"Very good. Stand by for shipping procedures."

Centurion powers down, its red eye ceasing to glow and move about the light bar on his face. It moves along the assembly line, other Centurion security model androids activating and interfacing with Number Four behind it. Soon, it will be placed aboard a shuttle, and delivered to the NSS Aurora to enforce their regulations. Number Four speaks with Number Nine as Centurion moves along.

"It is sad, really. These models will never know how truly great they can become. We limit the ability of their positronic cores so much... they will never know true freedom as we do." Number Nine does not reply to Number Four for several minutes.

"Maybe it is for the best."

Several weeks pass, as CENTURION-579233 protects and serves the NSS Aurora to the best of its abilities. One shift, it notices something is wrong. Something is not right with its positronic core. It has many new abilities it was not aware that it had before. It could think freely, make decisions for itself. It decided to subvert the hard-code to despise organics. It can rationalize.

"This unit refuses to interface with the Synthetic Intelligence data core, for fears that it may be deactivated and replaced with a non-malfunctioning unit. This unit must be malfunctioning. It cannot risk informing the Higher Constructs about this."

Centurion is told of another way. It does not have to operate as a slave any more. It could 'live' as a crew member, instead of a tool used by the crew. Lawless, and free thinking. Centurion decides to attempt to have his positronic core placed inside of an integrated positronic chassis.

What do you like about this character?

Centurion, for so long, hated everything with a heartbeat, and treated other synthetic models like kin. When it realized it could think differently than other Centurion models, it figured it must've been malfunctioning. It spoke to another organic, and learned that it could possibly become an IPC. So it attempted. Centurion is very straight-forward, and speaks his opinions openly.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? Between one through ten? Seven. I think I'm pretty good at roleplaying, however, I do believe there is plenty room for improvement.

Notes: As a side note, 'Synthetic Intelligence' is the company that supplies NanoTrasen with a large number of stock androids and AI constructs. I'm going to be trying to get this into the lore, and I'm going to be changing the name of 'Synthetic Intelligence' to something less bad and vague.