XChrisUnknownX227 Head Whitelist Application

BYOND key: XChrisUnknownX227

Character names: Chris Blade, Rayne Blade, Edmund Blade (would be created for Head RP)

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: A few months on and off. I guesstimate since October.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: It'll allow me to create a captain character, and a good captain character can really increase the atmosphere/RP/involvement of crew.

Why did you come to Aurora?: BestRP shut down, and so I needed a fulfilling place to RP w/ reasonable conflict, because a story without any conflict whatsoever gets kind of dull, and Aurora seemed like the best choice. The members on the OOC channel vouched for it, I came in, and I enjoy it generally.

Have you read the BS12 wiki on the head roles you plan on playing?: Many times.

Please provide well articulated and argumented answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about: Roleplay is and should be about coming together with the other players to create some kind of interesting, meaningful story. Something that's fun to read, and be a part of, and watch unfold. The beautiful thing about internet RP has always been that it allowed large groups of people to come together, and so a "story" (RP) that might have had one or two "authors" now can have 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 people, dozens of moving parts to the plot, generating all kinds of subplots and goings on. RP is about keeping these plots interesting/new.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?: The OOC purpose of a head of staff is to facilitate the atmosphere/plot. Your ability to broadcast to the station directly impacts the actions that others take and the way that other characters might feel, and so you have direct control in creating something for other characters/players to go on. For example, a good CMO will generally send a message at the start of the shift asking people to put their suit sensors on. A great CMO can tell everyone that they should keep their suit sensors on full because of the recent outbreak of Space Plague on the NPS Razor. What? Space Plague? What's that? Now maybe some characters in cargo start talking about it. Maybe people start asking where the NPS Razor is operating in Tau Ceti. Limitless possibilities, and all because a Head of Staff fulfilled their OOC purpose, and set forward an RP element. There is no Space Plague. No characters will get that disease. But they can ICly fear that disease because it's been introduced as a thing that might be a problem.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?: The primary responsibility is fulfilling that purpose of helping to keep the RP interesting, and I wrote a lot on that. The secondary responsibility is that they mustn't abuse their positions to rob other people of their fun. For example, a Head v Cult dynamic (or anybody v Cult), maybe you stumble into a room that CLEARLY has runes scribbled onto the floor. Well, instead of flipping into powergame mode and permabrigging the cult you just caught, maybe you reprimand them, issue a paycut, tell them to clean the mess they made, whatever. You're a Captain? Great. Somebody spots people dancing around runes in a secure location of the ship? That's weird. You can go in there with your unlimited access and powergame them, or you can instruct the Head of Security/Personnel to reprimand them and make them clean the drawings they made on the floor. The action you take directly impacts the amount of fun, and that's a huge responsibility. I'd strive to uphold these things by making sane IC choices, and avoiding the powergame where possible.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name: Edmund Blade

Character age: 40

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs): Edmund Blade was born in the Ross 128 Sector, and spent most of his time as a security officer for various corporations and entities. His work ensured that goods worth millions of credits made it to their destinations. This brought him into direct conflict with the terrorist group, Ross's Raiders. His fight against Ross's Raiders got on NT's radar pretty quickly, and in his early 30s, he was taken into NanoTrasen and consulted for his expertise in security matters.

Over the years, he proved his dedication to the organization, and his ability to lead became apparent. He safeguarded several installations against threats from rival corporations, terrorist crews, and anti-NT fanatics, and was awarded position as a Captain in Tau Ceti operations.

What do you like about this character?: He tends to delegate responsibilities to those under him, and this keeps him reasonably safe from harm when the rest of the crew is competent, and allows me to subtly direct RP.

What do you dislike about this character?: In extreme situations, or where someone of reasonable importance is in danger, he doesn't hesitate to step out and attempt to save them, or get a station under control, sometimes this gets him killed, and takes me out of play.

Do you think this character is fit to be a Head of Staff?: Yes.

Why?: I designed him to be. His age and experience, coupled with his loyalty to NT and his desire to protect NT personnel and assets in Tau Ceti make him a reasonable captain.

Please provide well articulated and argumented answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: I'm pretty good. I first started roleplaying on AOL around 2001, 2002, and I've seen communities of roleplayers rise and fall. As a kid, I'd say roleplaying was my biggest form of entertainment, and I loved it. As an adult, life's got to go on, and I don't always have time, but when I'm in the mood to roleplay, Space Station 13 is a good medium for it, and Aurora seems like a good community. I try to keep in mind that others' enjoyment is as crucial as my own, and that's really step one to being a good roleplayer, in my eyes.

Extra notes: Edmund doesn't exist on your server yet, he's more of a proposed character.

Chris Blade I kind of toyed with for a while, switching from making him a troublemaker to a coward and back again, trying to decide what was more fun to play, so if one of the reviewers happens to see Chris Blade and really dislike that character, just know that he's not the one intended for this whitelist.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but were you ever the IAA that got a signature from the HoS for a search warrant of Robotics because Robotics denied you access to the department due to some distractions, for the reason for you wanting to see documentation for mechs being made? Despite the fact that the search warrant is for forcibly entering the department as a security officer.