[Resolved] Staff Complaint - QueenOfYugoslavia

44 minutes ago, EJ_Denton said:

Alright, sorry for the delay. Juani and I have had time to look through the logs, go through the additional information, and discuss the complaint.

I want to start by saying that BSA's IC reasoning for detonating the bomb to disable the merc's ship is logical but not necessarily realistic. Both Juani and I agree that this is not something a detective should be doing without extreme need regardless of how simplistic the activation of the bomb is.

Now, permission for the bombing was given at a time when no one else was near the ship and collateral damage would be low. Timestamps show that approximately five minutes had elapsed between when permission was given and the explosion itself. I spoke to Skull regarding the timestamps possibly being distorted/delayed but he assured me they are taken in real time. It is possible that this was all simply due to unfortunate timing but many of BSA's actions and comments (IC, OOC, and in discord after) raise a lot of red flags. He also has many comments, warnings, and bans from multiple staff members regarding similar behavior.

All things considered, Juani and I have agreed that we will be reducing the perma-ban to a week-long security ban which will expire on December 23rd.

Not to look a gift horse in the mouth, but you might need to elucidate a little on the logic behind this decision here.

Looking at the facts, it can be established that:

1. The bomb was on a timer. It was not remotely detonated via signaller.

2. If I had any attention to kill anyone, then why would I have planted the bomb when no mercs were around and set the timer so low? (1:10 to be exact, although apparently the server ticks timers down differently)

3. About five minutes had passed between being granted permission and the bomb going off, and if you can reliably figure that out should it also not stand to reason that you can determine within that time frame when the mercs first arrived at the docks and entered their ship?

Now as much as I wish I could control the ebb and flow of time, I simply can't. Nor am I as omnipotent as I like to lead people to believe I am. If I had no idea at that moment in time, OOCly or ICly, that the bomb resulted in collateral, how do my IC actions indicate red flags? I do not presume to claim that there wasn't a significant lack of foresight on my part, but if there's one consistency through my alleged OOC actions that are apparently causing red flags and the points I've tried to make in this thread, is that I've called into question the Tajara metacrew's decisions to hang around and follow armed antagonists onto their ship. I was not privy to the IC discussion that lead to that decision, nor was I privy to how things exactly unfolded from the antagonist's side that round.

It is simply ridiculous to imply that I somehow knew of all of this far ahead of time, possibly before even they knew what they were doing, prepared a bomb beforehand and managed to time it juuuust right to coincide with them getting into position and blowing up spectacularly. Furthermore to take this to an entirely next level it is doubly ridiculous to assume that because I had the absolute gall and daring to defend my actions in OOC when confronted by people angrily insulting me and attacking the nature of my character (OOC character, that is), that it automatically indicates that I had masterfully pulled all the strings necessary to set said events into motion.

If I were truly that omnipotent, then wouldn't I have been able to just avoid this whole situation altogether?

Edited by Bath Salts Addict
2 hours ago, Bath Salts Addict said:

1. The bomb was on a timer. It was not remotely detonated via signaller.

2. If I had any attention to kill anyone, then why would I have planted the bomb when no mercs were around and set the timer so low? (1:10 to be exact, although apparently the server ticks timers down differently) 

3. About five minutes had passed between being granted permission and the bomb going off, and if you can reliably figure that out should it also not stand to reason that you can determine within that time frame when the mercs first arrived at the docks and entered their ship? 

You are being punished for triggering the bomb as a detective, as your character should not be able to do this as a detective, not for the fact that the bomb detonated and/or killed civilians. Evandorf is simply explaining the point there. Maybe it was not worded as it should have been, but we do understand that the collateral made by the bomb was not intentional, and you are not being held accountable for it with this resolution.

We, however, understand that you should not have triggered the bomb to start with, even with permission from an admin, as per your character's limitations. Detectives are not trained in explosives, and such your character's knowledge in the matter must be limited. While it is a mechanic fairly simply to understand, and it is also not a very hard thing to do in the real world, due to balancing issues, we need to enforce skill restrictions, and this is one of them. Your history of similar situations has also heavily weighted in this decision, as we do not take lightly that you took such decision after being told and punished previously for powergaming in that same position.

Edited by Juani2400
18 minutes ago, Juani2400 said:

You are being punished for triggering the bomb as a detective, as your character should not be able to do this as a detective, not for the fact that the bomb detonated and/or killed civilians. Evandorf is simply explaining the point there. Maybe it was not worded as it should have been, but we do understand that the collateral made by the bomb was not intentional, and you are not being held accountable for it with this resolution.

We, however, understand that you should not have triggered the bomb to start with, even with permission from an admin, as per your character's limitations. Detectives are not trained in explosives, and such your character's knowledge in the matter must be limited. While it is a mechanic fairly simply to understand, and it is also not a very hard thing to do in the real world, due to balancing issues, we need to enforce skill restrictions, and this is one of them. Your history of similar situations has also heavily weighted in this decision, as we do not take lightly that you took such decision after being told and punished previously for powergaming in that same position.

The admin who permitted me to use a bomb was also the admin that banned me previously for said reasons you stated above, and also the most senior staff member on at the time. How exactly am I in the wrong when I've been lead to believe by being permitted in the first place (by the guy responsible for the previous ban no less!) that I'd be okay by doing it. If I wasn't given that guarantee, I wouldn't have done it in the first place!

You have to understand there's a certain level of dissonance here when Aurora has a policy of all in-game decisions made by staff being final, but then turn around and ban players when they receive permission to do something from an admin. I'm sorry, I just don't understand. 

Sorry for the delay, but I have been unable to do this earlier. I'll be lifting your job-ban. However, next time you ask for permission for something similar to this, evaluate your character's skills and knowledge before doing so.

I'm on phone and not able to get on my computer until late night. I'll ask someone to lift the ban for me. As this complaint has no more actions to be appealed, I'll lock it down now.