[Accepted] Veterangary - IPC Application

BYOND Key: Veterangary

Character Names: Camryn Hujsak, Jake Norman, Jeff Norman, Javier Horton, Nathaniel Gibson, Ashton Milne, Rylan Haynes, Doug Randal, Beau Stevens

Species you are applying to play: IPC

What color do you plan on making your first alien character: Bzzt.

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question.

Why do you wish to play this specific race: After a while of being around on the server and understanding a lot of, both mechanics and lore, I decided I should add some variation into my evidently ghostly character list. I have played the concept of synthetic roles on other communities and game platforms (in roleplay environments, of course), so I believe it shouldn’t be a rough transition from Homo Sapiens. Additionally, I started seeing a void of certain character opportunities being fulfilled, and I took interest into one of them and flesh out a potentially interesting character. For this, I decided to take on a harsher situation for the machine, and work from there.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: IPCs take a far more drastic change from portraying a human character; synthetic intelligence lacks any visible or comprehensible form of ‘life’ to it. Logic overrides any moral or ethical sense, efficiency is a common factor and product from these machines. Additionally, with a logic-bearing brain, IPCs tend to take most incidences as serious or literally, as they are mainly a mindless assembly-line profit designed to be uniform, mindless, and slaved to whatever corporate entity owns them. Essentially, portraying IPC characters brings on an entirely different approach, dependent on its task and owner, though mainly to serve as a lesser-being, expendable yet expensive, and cold-thinking machine.

Character Name: ISS-SHIELD

Please provide a short backstory for this character:

A simple Xion Industrial Chassis woken from its forgotten and abandoned slumber, destined for scrapping. Not much is detailed in the machine's travel record, as it maintained a voyage across various merchant mediums, its sale history detailing more than its on-board tracker. Layers of paint and stickers plagued the machine, varying from multiple companies and trade ownership, barely modified or maintained and ultimately leading to its permanent shutdown, awaiting much needed maintenance. The fortunate model was gifted toward the Index Security Solutions, where it was deployed as a strong arm toward the smaller security task forces, where it lies to the present day, in an unending loyal contract. SHIELD, earned its title under the robust service it provided, protection of its organic counterparts in return for nothing more than constant diagnostics and maintenance.

After an extensive employment history age took the best of the chassis, building up complications and errors throughout its lifespan, where it ended up in a mess of contractual trades and deals, where it ends up in Tau Ceti, employed to pay off its dues until it is ran into the ground. After all, SHIELD was programmed for service, and unhesitatingly moved on with the parameters of its contract, unfaltered in its path towards eventual shutdown. Thus, SHIELD found itself once again deployed in unfamiliar territory, acting as security personnel aboard the Aurora, where maintenance of its contractor's assets are of highest priority next to its own survival, bearing no distinction between itself and corporate property.

What do you like about this character?

A take on a lesser-used model in an odd form of utility, and a darker grim view of synthetic characters. I find it an interesting and rather unexplored territory of synthetic intelligence.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? 6/10, I could use emotes more often, but I’m more adapted to various other platforms and end up avoiding the use of them entire, all because it’s a different button to prompt them. Additionally, most of my characters end up being cookie-cutter except maybe one or two; I rarely derail from one narrow range of characters.

Notes: Nothing much else to add.

Edited by VeteranGary

Could you expand upon its beginnings? Particularly this portion:

1 hour ago, VeteranGary said:

A simple Xion Industrial Chassis woken from its forgotten and abandoned slumber, destined for scrapping.

Also, is Shield a security unit or a service unit?

Lastly, how attached are you to the name ISS-Shield?  Due to the similarities to the ISU naming conventions, I'll have to ask that its changed in some manner so to avoid being mistaken for an Idris Security Unit. Whether say it is S-Shield, IS-Shield, Shield, etc.

11 hours ago, niennab said:

Could you expand upon its beginnings? Particularly this portion:

Also, is Shield a security unit or a service unit?

Lastly, how attached are you to the name ISS-Shield?  Due to the similarities to the ISU naming conventions, I'll have to ask that its changed in some manner so to avoid being mistaken for an Idris Security Unit. Whether say it is S-Shield, IS-Shield, Shield, etc.

1. Will edit after this post.

2. Yes, Shield is supposed to be a security unit, re-reading the post I understand the misconception, it is a bit vague in hindsight.

3. I'm fine with altering the name a bit, I chose this because it's something I didn't really see on the server. There is no official naming scheme for the Index Security Solutions, which is just a subdivision of the Eridani Military.

19 minutes ago, niennab said:

Thank you for the edits! For clarification sake on my own part, is he presently owned by Nanotrasen or Index?

Index Security is a part of the Eridani military contractors, so it is a Eridani owned machine. Which as a result it is owned indefinitely and cannot earn or purchase freedom, however it is employed to Nanotrasen.

• niennab changed the title to [Accepted] Veterangary - IPC Application
  • niennab locked this topic