DeadLantern's Lizard Dev App [Declined]

Ckey/BYOND Username: DeadLantern

Why are you interested in applying for a Unathi Deputy position?: When I first came to Aurora station, I had my Unathi application up within a week of joining. Of course, it got denied, but this is proof enough that I like this species! A lot! Unathi lore has always been consistent in its updates, and has had very little missteps compared to other species. For some time, I enjoyed Vaurcae the most, then it went to IPCs, then it went to Tajara, but Unathi have always had a special place in my heart, just because I liked their lore so much. I like them, and I have always liked them. They are my rock, in a way. So why am I applying for an Unathi deputy position? Because I like the species, that's why, and I would be honored to see my ideas fall under this great species.

What will you want to focus on if we take you on? Why?: I am flexible when it comes to writing about topics. Often times, I have trouble thinking of what to write about. I like it when I am told there is something someone wants to write in, and I can write it in without constructing an entire idea by myself. I think Unathi lore is in a pretty good place, and there is nothing to rewrite. There are some things that are sparse in Unathi lore, most notably Flora/Fauna on both Ourea and Moghes. Cuisine is also lacking, and that can be improved upon.

What is Unathi lore to you? What niche does it fill for our setting?: Lizardmen have been a staple of any SS13 server, though their lore was always reduced to "religious and warrior fanatics that kill kill kill". Aurora lore is good in that it is not purely this--Yes, there is a strict warrior code, and there are some religious fanatics. But it is not unga bunga style, and it is done with subtlety. The niche the Unathi fill is not that of big strong warrior, but a species chained so strongly to their traditions and beliefs. Extremely devoted individuals to their God and tenets. And, of course, there are people within the Unathi race that do not fit that kind of Sinta, which creates even more conflict. The niche that Unathi provide is that they are a wholly different species that is often times in conflict with the values and morals of aliens, and even their own kind. Sort of a fish-out-of-water-but-is-determined-to-live-as-if-they-were-in-water vibe.

Do you have examples of past commitments for creative works? (Hosting or playing in a DnD setting or otherwise proving you can devote time to the position): I am currently a DM for a party, and have been for about a month and a half. I do hate Kobolds, however, and this may or may not effect the reception to this post. Other than that, I do not have any public creative commitments to any RP server/projects, and never had any. 

Sometimes our community can be very aggressive in response to lore developments; can you feel easily defeated by hostility towards your work? It depends. All communities seem to have a knack of using hyperbole when describing things they dislike. A good example of this is Dominian lore--I certainly recognize it has problems, but people are very hostile to Dominia for its problems. I do not think I am easily defeated by hostility, but I know that hostility comes from a place where someone wants something changed, and I will very much take this into account.

Additional Comments: I do know that I am quite green when it comes to this sort of thing. The way I see it, I either do not upload this app and do not get accepted, or upload it and have a chance at being accepted. So, I chose the latter. I will not be offended if you point this out or any other flaws I may have. I am also not a fanatic in Unathi lore, meaning I don't play Unathi exclusively, nor do I talk about it that often. I do forget things from the wiki sometimes. But, I earnestly like Unathi lore and would love to help add to it.

By the way, I play Guwandi'resh.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Hello,

thank you for your interest in the unathi! The fact you bring up that you applied for unathi first and got declined but how it proves your love for the species was really endearing and it made me laugh.

Like the other application I want to start with the biggest point of concern and once we are past that we can talk about all the other stuff.

You have had some run ins with administration that have made the admins I asked to background check applicants voice some concerns about. Now as loremaster I had a long and infamous track record of going out on a limb on risky applicants and going to bat for them. But I don't think that I can scoop up someone like that anymore so I want to ask you to try and tell me where you believe you have improved and if you are reasonably sure you wont have any additional run ins with administration or moderation. While you seem genuine and eager I'm not a rogue maverick anymore and you will need to help me convince administration and my other deputy Geeves to trust you with a staff position.

I have had some run-ins with administration before.

I have been banned once, unless I am forgetting something that happened years ago. My only ban happened a some months ago, and it was due to my Diona play; I was ignoring Pain RP, and I see this clearly now. This is a problem related to my Diona play, and I now know how to accurately represent that species. If you are wondering what I did, I disposal'd myself on the bet of some mercs who said I would not survive. I did survive and reformed my Gestalt, but I did not consider how painful going into disposals and getting crushed would be. I would never do that with humans or Unathi or any other race, and now I know not to do it with Diona.

Recently, I have been warned on my Vaurca play. That is specific to my Vaurca play, and I do not think it has any bearing on any other species. I have noticed I tend to play "alien" species very over the top, and I have been trying to tone that down recently. The only extremely alien creatures on the Aurora are Vaurca and Diona, and I can relate to the RP of Unathi and other species well enough. Other than that, my notes are interspersed and not that serious.

There is one note however, that relates to my Unathi play. It is ten months old at this point. I accidentally joined as a Security Officer instead of a Priest when playing an old old Si'akh priest. I decided to play Sec officer anyway and preach as if I was a priest and do Security stuff as well. In the moment, I thought I was enhancing roleplay--now, with hindsight, I see that it is absolutely dumb. I should have cryoed, and I definitely won't do anything like that again. I believe that is all the outstanding stuff, and I don't think I forgot to mention anything else.

Guest Marlon Phoenix
On 22/01/2020 at 23:25, DeadLantern said:

There are some things that are sparse in Unathi lore, most notably Flora/Fauna on both Ourea and Moghes. Cuisine is also lacking, and that can be improved upon.

While these are interesting things to expand on, they are rather small writing projects that could get finished in a day or two. Do you have anything you'd want to work on over time with Unathi? A faction, a story, a plot, an arc, a series of events, or anything else? If you were given a blank check what would you want to run off to the bank with?

Definitely expand on the other kingdoms that survived the contact war. Right now, an Unathi can come from a lot of diverse places--Dominia, Ourea, one of the colonies, from the Hegemon, from the vestiges of the Traditional Coalition, or a Wastelander faction. But, if you want to play an Unathi involved in the Feudal system on Moghes, you could only go to the Queendom or the Hegemony (or a place subjugated by the hegemony).

The lore page on the kingdoms that survived is a little sad. First, it says "kingdoms", and there is only one kingdom, and it is not even a kingdom, it is a Queendom. More should be added for increased RP opportunities. How are these kingdoms different culturally from the Hegemon? How did they survive? What is their relationship to the Wasteland, the Hegemon, the other smaller kingdoms, or the aliens? I would be very happy to expand and add more kingdoms that survived. I will probably add 2-3 new culturally different kingdoms that occupy Moghes.

Plotting an arc on station seems very very very fun to me. I would need to plan it out weeks/months before and invest some time into it, but that would be absolutely lovely. I have no idea what type of arc I would do, but considering the Skrell arc just ended and the Tajara one is coming, it would make sense to also have an Unathi arc on station.

Also, planning a series of events and writing them would be great. My main focus is to move the Unathi species forward, instead of retconning or changing. I want the Unathi to feel alive, and I want current events to reflect that. I like it when the political/religious/whatever sphere is instable and constantly changing. That instability is reflected on station, mostly. The series events do not necessarily require bloodshed or death. A peaceful but interesting set of events on the side would be great as well.

Edited by DeadLantern

Deadlantern may have had run ins with administration before, but he's still got good ideas for Unathi lore and has shown good knowledge and understanding of the writings for Unathi and other Xenos before. He'd make a good deputy, especially considering what he wishes to focus on. He's got my personal support.