[Accepted]Kiha's Dionae Application

BYOND Key: Kihatomay

Character Names: Thr'us Zuhlisk, James Praxton, Aleks Martin

Species you are applying to play: Dionae

What color do you plan on making your first alien character: Plant

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?:  Yes, extensively.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question.

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

I had a really fun series of interactions with several Dionae recently, and during them I probed a bit on their opinions of things and their ambitions and found that they all had very unique, specialized interests that were a result of their experiences thus far. That brought me to look at the species lore pages and scour them rather heavily to learn about them further. After some thought and consulting a couple other players, I've decided to try my hand at them.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

Dionae are different in a ridiculous amount of ways. For starters, they're not just one being, they're a conglomerate of anywhere from six to eight, all the way to the millions and even higher, in larger, older specimens. Dionae initially hold an intense curiosity for everything around them and have unprecedented efficiency in absorbing the knowledge available to them, growing exponentially in intelligence. This has diminishing returns to a degree, though, as they seem to drop in curiosity and/or learning capacity as time goes on for them. Aside from their completely unique and mysterious levels of intelligence/sentience, Dionae do not succumb to age similarly to other beings either, and feed off radiation and light. Though, Dionae can vary greatly depending on the environment they initially found themselves in.

Character Name: Many Walks In Space

Please provide a short backstory for this character:

In 2032, deep in the darkest reaches of space, a massive gestalt dispersed seeds from it's form into the vast unknown, the particles traveling aimlessly. One particular seed drifted for centuries, landing upon an asteroid in the same system as Biesel in 2451. Embedding itself into the rocky ash of it's new 'home', a pod began to form, absorbing plentiful radiation from the stars that cast light upon it thanks to the asteroid's lack of an atmosphere to diffuse the radiation. For three years the pod grew, feasting gradually upon the radiation the stars provided until it finally split open, and from it emerged a dog-sized nymph in the dawn of the year 2454. Much to the delight of the creature, there was activity upon the asteroid it had unwittingly inhabited, humanoids of varying shapes donning air-tight suits constructing a massive, sprawling facility. Remaining relatively unseen, the nymph crept across the asteroid as these strange beings worked and built, many opportunities for learning allowing it to gather a wealth of information regarding their purpose on the asteroid as well as the structure the were building.

Over the course of the next few years, it grew, and learned, reaching a gestalt stage of cyclops class, and finally making straight-forward contact with their fellow asteroid inhabitants in 2458. It's interaction was one that it experienced fondly, meeting a Xenoarcheologist excavating anomalous materials from the ashy rock around the NSS Aurora, displaying it's wealth of knowledge regarding EVA, Mining, and other basic modern concepts that the Xenoarcheologist had no explanation for how it could possibly know. Disappearing into the more inhospitable reaches of the asteroid, the cyclops had finally discerned it's name, Many Walks In Space, in honor of it's time spent among the many beings it encountered during the construction of the Aurora. Sending in nymphs that it coordinated with via Rootsong, it continued to learn from these new scientific strangers, absorbing much information regarding Xenoflaura, fauna, and anomalous subjects. Eventually deciding to enter the station, it agreed to board the Aurora with a small team of scientists it had interacted with over the years, and being sent to the Odin upon a crew transfer. Being recognized by officials as a Dionae, and due to it's extensive time spent gaining knowledge on useful subjects and familiarity with portions of the NSS Aurora and it's asteroid, Many Walks In Space was provided means of proving it's knowledge and is now earning credits in Xenobotany, Xenobiology, and Xenoarcheology and other simple sciences by on-site practice as a lab assistant, and Many Walks In Space is now an official member of the crew upon the station and asteroid it's cognitive life took place on as of 2462.

What do you like about this character? Many Walks In Space is a character with an emphasis on discovery, frontier-ism, and recognition in his backstory, from a seed floating through uncharted space, to a recognized and content member of the Dionae species that resides upon the asteroid it grew on, it feels like so much has happened to him even though his story and life is really only just beginning. Obtaining the means to indulge itself in the things it has grown fond of is something that not only Dionae but any species aims for, and I had fun making the story for this character.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? I am an experienced roleplayer.

Edited by Kiha

Hello! A few things I noticed reading this. The character doesn't have a chance to be off station until 2458, but they get three doctorates and two minors? Even if they managed to get this all done at the same time, there's still some years missing for this to be achievable. Another question would be is how would they have gotten the money to afford all of this? Even in space, education isn't super cheap.

Final thing, feel free to post a link to this once a round to gather feedback. 

Now that you point it out it is suddenly obvious to me-- after some thought, I've decided I will have him be undergoing these degrees, and all of the pay he gets from his shifts on the Aurora are being instead forwarded to pay for his classes. I'll make the necessary edits.

• Yonnimer changed the title to [Accepted]Kiha's Dionae Application
  • Yonnimer locked this topic