Rusty's IPC Application

BYOND Key: Rusty Sh4ckleford

Character Names: Janet Bellard, Cristof Marmeladov, Aaron Houston, April Reed, Alura Phillips, M.O.F.O.

How long have you been playing on Aurora: Since Apollo.

Species you are applying to play: Integrated Positronic Chassis

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): Pink with sexy buttcheeks

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Da.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: Basically, I want to see what it's like to RP something other than a boring old human, and maybe in doing so renew my own interest in playing the game rather than just occasionally scanning the forums and writing something up. Also, all the time I've been here and I've never actually tried any of the alien races before. Figured that I might as well give it a shot.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: Well... it's a computer with legs. Its head is literally a CRT monitor. Also, my personal view on synthetics is that they're not technically sentient, and therefore are not capable of comprehending certain stimuli or emotions like an organic can. That's not to say that they wouldn't have a personality, but to me, it would be more like they're emulating sentience than actually experiencing it.

Why does this species in particular hold your interest? They're walking computer screens. What's not to like? I basically want to be Mister Roboto. And maybe do the robot in the middle of the bar every once in a while, like a trained monkey made of silicon and metal.

Character Name: Glitchy

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

Unit 23-TY-337 began its 'life' like the tens of thousands of positronic units that had come before it. Manufactured in a Nanotrasen facility on New Gibson, the positronic unit was activated and deployed within a Bloodhound security android chassis aboard the NSS Antlia in the Tau Ceti system. The roboticist who had activated Unit 23-TY-337 gave it the name "Watson." The newly activated android performed its duties to the best of its abilities, following its laws to the letter and obediently following any orders it was given by the station's AI and by its department's superiors.

One day, Watson was dutifully patrolling around the R&D department of the station, as per the Head of Security's orders. Within one of the labs by the hallway, a scientist was attempting to repair an experimental ion rifle, designed to be more powerful than current models. As Watson passed by the scientist's window, the weapon misfired and the bolt traveled through the reinforced glass, and ended up frying Watson's systems. The android shuddered and fell over, dead.

Dismayed at the inconvenience, the roboticist on duty eschewed checking to see if the personality on the posibrain had been wiped or not, and after repairing the posibrain's damage, simply redownloaded the 'Watson' personality onto the unit. As it turns out, a portion of the old personality had remained within the posibrain, and as soon as it was reactivated, the two personalities conflicted and threw up error messages. Frustrated, the roboticist chucked the malfunctioning posibrain into the disposals bin, which cycled a few moments later. The unit banged against the walls of the pipes leading down to the station's cargo bay. After one particularly nasty bash, something inside the posibrain was knocked loose, and the two personalities became compatible. Unit 23-TY-337 came back online, but it was too late. It was already on the conveyor belt headed to the mass driver. Very soon, it would be shot into space, never to be recovered...

It was a stroke of dumb luck that saved the little posibrain. The quartermaster, who was a shrewish, stingy woman, saw the posibrain in working condition on its way to the void. Indignant at the waste of company resources, she plucked the unit from the conveyor and stamped on over to the robotics lab. After giving the roboticist an earful, he begrudgingly placed the posibrain into another Bloodhound chassis, only to find more error messages popping up; the bump that had caused the two personalities to become compatible, had also made the standard android lawsets and AI slaving software incompatible with the little cube. The roboticist reasserted that the posibrain was malfunctioning, calling it "a glitchy piece of shit." His objections were met with another tirade. Muttering expletives under his breath, he set out to appease the quartermaster by constructing a different kind of chassis for the posibrain to inhabit.

Upon coming online, the unit chose its own name, rather than be assigned one. It chose to call itself "Glitchy."

What do you like about this character?

Glitchy is an IPC with two separate personalities inhabiting the same posibrain. While both come from the same stock, they have both been severely altered, one by the unfortunate ion blast, and the other by its contact with the first personality. There could be situations in which the personalities do not agree, and would argue with each other openly.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? 7/10 too much water

Notes: Huehuahuehuahuehuehuahuehuehuehuahuahuehuahuehuehuehuaheuhuehaueheuaheauaehaeueahaeueauaeheauaeeauaeheaheauheuahuaeheuauhauheahueahuhuheahuhaeahuhuaehuehuauhaeuhuheahueauhuhahuahueauheauheuhauheauheahueuahehuauheauhauhehuaeuhauheahueauheauuheahueahuuahehueahueuhaehuahuehuehauuheahueahuehuauhhueahueauheauhehuaheuahueauhehuaheuauheahueuhhueahuehauheuhueahueahuehuahueuheauhehuauhehuehauhueahueahueauhheahuaeuhauehehuahuahueahueahuehuahueauhhauhueahueahueahuheuahuahuaehuhaeuhueaehuehau

• 2 weeks later...