Herpetophilia's epic IPC application

BYOND Key: Herpetophilia

Character Names: Xu Qiuu, Khazarir Prruzhulkanich 

Species you are applying to play: IPC

What color do you plan on making your first alien character: A bad-ass dark olive military green 

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format.

Why do you wish to play this specific race: 

I've been playing on Aurora for a while now, and already have whitelists for 3 other species. Skrell, Tajara, and Unathi respectfully. The IPC whitelist seems like another fine addition to my whitelists, and I've been sort-of longing to play cyborg or IPC for a while already. After seeing some of the cool and funny IPC characters people have created, and interacting with them, I've decided that I'm going to get a whitelist as well. 

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: 

IPCs are not organic, and have a series of mechanical advantages and disadvantages that come with this, i.e vulnerability to EMP's but higher resistance to physical damage. Their most important difference is that most positronic brains are not capable of having the same level of social interaction with organics as other organics do, not possessing the same mannerisms as humans do. Instead, they attempt to emulate organic emotion and adapt to their current environment and culture as best as they can. This can vary from model to model and positronic to positronic, as some may be more capable at it than others. However, some IPCs can even possibly form opinions and even make friends as a result of learning and adapting. Each IPC's highest concern is their own safety, regardless of their job. Most IPC's will find a way to link their job to their own self-preservation, with bound IPCs for example possibly believing that being owned by a corporation is a good way to stay safe, as they can get free repairs and maintenance.

Name: Bob (H-4B0B)

Please provide a short backstory for this character:

H-4B0B was constructed on August 1st in 2461, in one of the many Hephaestus factories on Mars. Made in a batch meant for heavy industrial and multipurpose uses, it was equipped with a state-of-the-art upgraded G-2 chassis, stronger armor plating, more efficient cooling systems but alas a slightly outdated, less advanced positronic to lower the production cost. Even though a bit slow to learn and absorb information, it was well-suited to following human commands and doing whatever task it was told. After about a month of sitting in a warehouse while officials decided where to send it, H-4B0B was shipped off to the system of Burzsia where it would be used for a multitude of tasks in the Obsidian Belt, from mining to lifting to recovering units that were meant to be wiped. As it toiled away on the harsh asteroids in Burzsia II, every once in a while it would learn something it wasn't meant to, or start to realize that the conditions it worked under were dangerous and unfair. As soon as this would be found out, either by human supervision or by being reported by other IPC workers H-4B0B would be memory-wiped as per the Burzsian Method. 

This happened quite a few times during the year that H-4B0B spent working in Burzsia, until Burzsian and Hephaestus supervisors decided to finally get rid of it. Instead of being scrapped, however, it was sold to NanoTrasen for a reduced price. NT looked over the IPC and decided that it would fill in a role in Security due to it's intimidating size and armor plating. There was also already a surplus of workers in cargo and mining. When it first arrived on the Odin, one of the officials in charge of IPC assignment dubbed it "Bob" for the sake of simplicity over H-4B0B. It was given a short training period where it was taught to neutralize human threats using proper escalation of force. It was also re-programmed to use Tau Ceti Basic and EAL for communication with the crew. However, Sol Common was not removed from it's memory banks. 

Forms were filled and records written, and Bob was sent to the NSS Aurora with the assignment of Security Officer. While on the station, Bob is a curious being despite having a subpar positronic brain. No longer suppressed by the Burzsian Method and it's threat of a memory wipe as soon as it falls out of line, Bob is no longer kept from accumulating and absorbing knowledge. The only interaction with humans that it ever had before the Aurora was being ordered to do tasks by it's supervisors while in Burzsia II, so the concept of having humans and other sentient species working alongside it instead of commanding it is extremely new to Bob. It occasionally slips up, calling non-IPC employees "foreman" and having a hard time distinguishing between different species. 

What do you like about this character? 

Having almost no knowledge of how human society really works, Bob is going to be thrust into a diverse, new environment for it to adapt to and learn from. This means I will try to roleplay Bob to learn from and take examples from other characters and crewmen. 

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

Depending on the day and mood, really. It can be anywhere for 6 to 8 out of 10.

Thank you for reapplying. Can you detail what this would mean for Bob? Or how instances with problematic crew might play out?

On 08/09/2020 at 04:15, Herpetophilia2 said:

It was given a short training period where it was taught to neutralize human threats using proper escalation of force.

Hi! Sorry for the late response. I'm at an airport right now, traveling. 

To answer your question, even though Bob was trained to use proper escalation of force (including the use of lethal weapons when needed), it might still be cautious of killing or seriously injuring a human crewmember as it is still used to being commanded by human supervisors.