[Accepted]CourierBravo / BejewledPot's Diona WL or, how I learned to stop worrying and to follow the Eternal

BYOND Key: CourierBravo
Character Names: Elizabeth Cox, Zeke Quirin, Fiona Petrov, Seti Al-Miah, Hannah Mi-Young
Species you are applying to play: Diona

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?:

Yes, over the course of several days, and I've enjoyed the whole process.

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

I've been looking for an alien species to dip my toes into, and Diona seemed the most mechanically and lore interesting. I've always loved seeing Diona while playing, they're incredibly cool characters and are made up of cute little creatures. I personally want to experiment roleplaying as them due to the challenges both mechanically (light, blood stuff, restricted diet, and conditional pacifism) and lore wise (new politics and new discrimination interactions with player characters)

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

Mechanical differences aside, I believe my favorite difference is their ability to merge and split. The idea that a creature can meld with another creature to exponentially increase their own intelligence, skills to draw from, and personality, is fascinating. Humans are just us, we are who we are and while we can improve our own skills, I can't just piggyback onto a plumber to become someone who can roleplay extensively and do plumbing services. And with that, the blood learning. I have to go to school or take courses or do trainings if I wanna learn new skills. Diona have the ability to accelerate or bypass this entirely by drinking blood and or eating flesh, making their ability to both gain knowledge and increase skill in a field have a biological shortcut.

I also want to note their love of light, and that I think a Assunzione Diona would be really fun to play because of that groups own obsession with light in the dark,

Character Name: Weaving Steel Like Vines

This Diona is a Hephaestus contracted engineer from The Narrows cluster. Merged in 2453, they became a 7, now 6 strong Chirping Choir. Due to needs of the time, and knowledge shared by the oldest nymph in the group, they became an engineer under Metal Forms Made Ready. Cutting their teeth in the early years, they worked their way into becoming an Engineer Overseer. Far later on, an incident occurred with Weaving Steel Like Vines, and an Eternal following botany cyclops. A disagreement between the two turned verbally hostile as they debated The Eternal. Weaving Steel acted immaturely, being incredibly inflammatory towards the other gestalt. Due to this, and an unwillingness to apologize, partially out of embarrassment and partially out of stubbornness, they were demoted. Seeing that their opportunities at home were now very limited, they mostly chose to join Hephaestus's engineering team and move elsewhere. One Nymph, Gas Controlling, did not want to leave and chose to split, staying with the cluster.

Having spent a time with Hephaestus in the CoC getting the degrees and certifications needed, they now reside in Biesel, having loosely joined the The Biesellian Choir. While still having a disdain for The Eternal, they have reasoned that living in D11 and working with and donating to the Choir is their most effective use of resources, relying on the strength in numbers and other resources the Choir can offer to get by until their next relocation. Hephaestus first put them to work repairing vessels handling pirates, but have now been transferred to the NSS Aurora to increase the Hephaestus presence with a seasoned professional.

What do you like about this character?

I like that they're story isnt perfect, but also not filled with tragedy or suffering. They hit touch stones I liked learning about, the Narrows, Diona debate, the Biesellian Choir, and the politics that can arise from being a Diona that has to associate with the Choir while also not liking them. And I'm going to enjoy doing engineering with them, as its a role I'm comfortable with so it will assist with me learning how to better roleplay a Diona.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? Pretty good, I wouldnt say I'm a roleplayer that stands out, but I dont think my characters are forgettable for the most part. A handful are, usually because I'll make a character, play them, and decide they dont fit in this environment.

Notes: PLEASE leave feedback, and ask questions!
I'll be available for another few hours after posting, then I'm usually available in late evenings PST

34 minutes ago, ClemTheDuck said:

only question i can really think of. How do you think the loss of one of their nymphs affects the rest of the gestalt? How does it affect them going forward?

They would have had moments of struggle, wishing they were still connected, but they believe strongly in the idea that if a nymph does not fit the whole, and wants to leave, they should be able to do so. A continuation of the idea that a sick nymph or one with a mental block the whole cannot fully support will be ejected to allow it to seek help
At this point its been a couple years since the split, so they have somewhat moved past it. But there are times they would wish they were whole, all 7 again. Something between a lost sibling and an ex.

Hi there and thanks for applying! Due to some technical issues, here are some questions!

Posted on behalf of Lmwevil:

You mention Chirping Choir made of six nymphs, what can you tell me of this particular mind type and what made them develop their mind type?

What does your gestalt think of the Eternal?

What does Weaving Steel Like Vines think of the various aliens it has encountered since leaving the Narrows?  

Has Weaving Steel Like Vines drank sentient blood for any reason? If yes, what kind of blood and why? If no, why have they avoided it?

PS: We both love the name of Weaving Steel Like Vines

Alright, here we go

Question 1:

As mentioned above, they're a *Competent Choir. Misspelled that one, my bad. They came to this system out of convenience, as the social nymph is allowed to manage the groups conversations for the most part, while the rest are free to focus on the engineering work and processing of information. I decided on this one also partially because it allows me to experiment with splitting, since I imagine its not as uncomfortable or traumatic as it would be for a singular sound, the other seemingly good starter one.

Question 2: As mentioned above, they do not like the Eternal. They believe that this is a waste of resources, both physical and knowledge, and its a suicidal cause. However, they recognize that it can be a necessary evil, as it bands diona together around a common cause, allowing them to safeguard eachother and pool their resources more effectively.

Question 3: So far I think it would have only encountered Humans, IPC's, Unathi, and Vacura. They have mixed feelings about Humans, as while they're incredibly clever and resourceful, they're also massively wasteful, arrogant, discriminatory, and chaotic. They'll keep humans to a tendrils length where able. IPC's, it finds an uncanny resemblance in, but tolerate them. They dont like that they're also a being thats the sum of its parts, whos personality and intelligence can be changed by linking new things in or taking them out. How shells are uncanny to many humans, IPC's are uncanny to Weaving Steel Like Vines. They have started to like Unathi, as they have heard tales of the Diona that reside on their irradiated home, and their treatment. They also like that even though they're a violent species like humans, they heavily manage their fights, and shun those causing chaos. Finally, they dislike Vacura, though they've only met a handful of viax and no akiax. They've heard the stories of Titan, and the struggle to survive they endured. However, they did not hear of the resolution, that part being conveniently left out. They appreciate the hives commitment to structure and castes, but they, as their current knowledge stands, cannot come to forgive the pain they inflected to the other Diona.

Question 4: They have, their oldest Nymph, Copper Weave, managed to find someone who was trapped, and died recently after their birth, which was shortly after the outcome of the riots. The rest later did drink blood, as to allow better communication with humans. And finally, they have managed to save enough credits in their work with Hephaestus to get one transfusion of engineers blood, fleshing out their knowledge some and giving them better command over language.

If there's any follow up questions, please let me know :^D

Edited by Bejewledpot
dont like the automatic conversion of colon D into emoji, therefore nose
  • Yonnimer changed the title to [Accepted]CourierBravo / BejewledPot's Diona WL or, how I learned to stop worrying and to follow the Eternal
  • Yonnimer locked this topic