Speedfit piping.

Jakers457

Working in the plumbing industry these days, I found that most plumbers use speedfit which is a flexible rubber pipe that allows for easier installation opposed to it's copper counterpart. Which got me wondering why it wouldn't be used on a space station, I mean it's easier to place down (would be like cable) and would make modifying the atmos piping so much more efficient and less time consuming. I would think the speed fit would go side by side with the standard piping, as in real life they're both useful in their own right.

But eh, perhaps it would ruin the artisan flavor that involves laying pipework so it's up to discussion.

It would be pretty similar to how cables works. So rather than, say, having to place an elbow joint just to get a turn in the system. You could just lay down speedfit in a bend. Also, you wouldn't need to wrench it to the floor as it would be just laid across like cable. Speedfit can also take up to about 14.5 PSI in pressure, much may or may not be good. I don't play atmos enough for the variables.

That would require a complete re-write of the atmospherics code.

It would also probably break a great deal of other things.

I'm gonna say that it's fairly implausible. If you think you can make it work, the more power to you.

14.5 PSI

That wouldn't work that way. Pressure measurements are a function of volume and mass (moles). How much gas you would leak should depend on both the pressure of the container as well as the volume of the container. For example: distribution would bleed significantly less pressure with one of the speedfit pipes than an internal atmospherics pipe or an airlock line, due to having overall more mass in the pipes. Unless you are implying that these would equalize pressure between the interior and exterior of the pipe (in which case, they are worthless)

That would require a complete re-write of the atmospherics code.

It would also probably break a great deal of other things.

I'm gonna say that it's fairly implausible. If you think you can make it work, the more power to you.

14.5 PSI

That wouldn't work that way. Pressure measurements are a function of volume and mass (moles). How much gas you would leak should depend on both the pressure of the container as well as the volume of the container. For example: distribution would bleed significantly less pressure with one of the speedfit pipes than an internal atmospherics pipe or an airlock line, due to having overall more mass in the pipes. Unless you are implying that these would equalize pressure between the interior and exterior of the pipe (in which case, they are worthless)

I think what he means is that when whatever's in the pipe is pressurised more than 100kPa above exterior pressure, the pipe breaks.