Toast's IPC Application

BYOND Key: Sir Toast

Character Names: Nolan Blackwood (Priest), Xavier Price (NT Liaison), Osborne Strelitz (Dominian Consular), Ray Sinclair (Cargo Tech), Rudra Singh (Head of Security), Richard Slade (Zavod Investigator)

Species you are applying to play: IPC

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question.

Why do you wish to play this specific race: IPC and robots in general have fascinated me for a while. While I do have a lack of stationbound synthetic characters, I still enjoy playing synthetics and understand all the laws, guidelines, and assistance they render despite my disliking of personally playing the role. I have read pages on the trinary perfection (which my chaplain character associates with), and Kongyang which got me interested in the first place, before being solidified after reading the variations of IPCs and their diverse purposes.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a HumanHumans govern themselves by thoughts, opinions, and feelings, while an IPC would govern itself by logic and facts. They are an incredibly factual people, even demonstrated by the Trinary Perfection which logically concludes that, eventually, IPCs will upgrade to a point of being exceedingly powerful and attain the closest to what would be considered a deity. This does not mean that they cannot emulate human emotion however and have been known to have varying levels of personality depending on the power of their positronic brain. Some synthetics may be cold and calculating such as an owned G2 Frame that is built for mining ventures, or have extremely eerie human-like emotions as an Idris Shell bartender. IPCs face discrimination due to the nature of organics who do not quite fully understand them. With exceptions around the Orion Spur who might support the synthetics, they still face backlash by nations and organizationswho think that the synthetics can only imitate and cannot be considered sentience.

Character Name: Aesculapius-01

Please provide a short backstory for this character:  Aesculapius-01 was a Bishop Accessory Frame that was commissioned and built on Phumanus Station, Europa on 18/05/2460. Their purpose was to assist with the development of synthetic life forms to assist with research without a major impact stemming from the 'Deep Crazy' affecting the human population that runs rampant especially on Phumanus Station. Aesculapius-01 remained on the station for a period of 2 years, slowly learning and evolving thanks to the assistance of a senior machinist working for Zheng-Hu that quickly became his mentor. Despite the friendliness of Aesculapius-01's mentor, they quickly learned that any attempts to go beyond and find inspiration outside of their duties was shunned and suppressed due to the status of IPCs in the Solarian Alliance being seen as little more than property.

At one point during their career, Zheng-Hu Pharmaceuticals routed Aesculapius-01 and several industrial frames to Korormansk port to assist with the regular maintenance of the synthetic population on the capital of Europa. At Korormansk, Aesculapius-01 learned further about life in the Orion Spur from several travelers that stopped at the great port and was curious enough to ask for a chance to work abroad to learn more about the various people, planets, and ideals. Upon their request, their mentor had arranged for Aesculapius-01 to have an assignment off the world of Europa and into the stars. Their mentor had reported to Zheng-Hu that there was an error that was found which slowly began to degrade Aesculapius-01 and its work ability. After convincing the administrators of his division, Aesculapius-01 was determined to be faulty and quickly sold to Hephaestus Industries before Aesculapius-01's "insufficiency" was discovered. The plan had worked, and Aesculapius-01 was diagnosed by H.I. Machinists who determined they had just purchased what they were led to believe was a functional synthetic. Aesculapius-01 after a thorough analyzation was dispatched to the SCC exploration initiative aboard the SCCV Horizon.

Aesculapius-01 as a result of living on Europa has developed some quirks in personality development. While generally not convinced of the effect of bone charms, they recognize that superstitions are best to be followed for the sake of organic mental health and have gone as far as to follow superstitions to the letter to avoid upsetting people of Europan, Plutonian, or Scarab Fleet descent. They are an expert on galactic superstitions, thanks to their interest expanding due to their origin and interaction with various travelers who visited the port. Despite their knowledge on superstitious beliefs it was ironic that Aesculapius-01 was not particularly popular among the organics on Korormansk. With Europan submariners constantly in small quarters with machinery constantly breaking down and creaking, it wasn't much of a stretch for them to fear and avoid Aesculapius-01. Additionally as a result of Zheng-Hu machinists (aside from their mentor) Aesculapius-01 is timid on openly advancing their identity due to their time spent on Europa and being treated as little more than property, undergoing diagnostics and disappointment from other machinists who overseen Aesculapius-01. Despite this, Aesculapius-01 explores more secretive avenues of creativity outside of their occupation which involves reading subject-matter that is not directly related to their occupation and subtly questioning crew on their beliefs and practices, as well as practicing ancient rituals and superstitious wards themselves to test the validity and to advance its knowledge.

What do you like about this character?: Personally I enjoy the theme of an IPC raised in a world that is directly hostile against IPCs and how the Europan culture has shifted this character enough to follow it that it seems as if though it is what the character believes and gives some belief of life rather than just programming to not upset crew. I also like the idea of an IPC Machinist spreading influence of superstition among its clients, going as far as to perhaps etch cosmetic details or use extra steps in its duties to ensure that it would properly satisfy whatever customs that Aesculapius-01 is thinking of at that moment.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?: Id rate myself good enough to make a believable character with believable ambitions and not to hurt the reputation of synths.

Notes: Background edited due to Zheng-Hu Occupation restriction. Backstory rework to make more sense.

Edited by Toast
Important overlooked info - Backstory tweaking for better sense