Proposed citizenship guideline updates

Lore Impact (Small/Medium/Large): Medium

Species: Primarily Human

Short Description: This primarily affects the Coalition of Colonies and the Eridani Corporate Federation citizenship guidelines, by updating them to better reflect the current backgrounds behind them.

How will this be reflected on-station?: This primarily affects record flexibility, but in the case of Eridani does allow for some roleplay with regards to the possible conditions that an employee that -must- keep their job at any cost can have.

Does this addition do anything not achieved by what already exists?: Yes, as this will canonically allow for CoC players to state in their records they have a dual citizenship with the Coalition and their member planet, without adding hundreds of citizenship options. For Eridanian players, this clears up an existing lore inconsistency, and allows reinstated players to have more reasons complain about their conditions. The recent rewrite of the Eridani Corporate Federation states that "Even if a Dreg is born a non-citizen they automatically obtain citizenship in Eridani by simply getting a job with a megacorporation." This rewrite reflects that by adding a new option for Eridani Citizenship.

Do you understand that the project may change over time in ways you may not foresee once it is handed over to the Lore Team? Yes

Long Description: The rewrite has been split into pages for organization. Check the next pages for the proposed rewrites.

The following rewrite is proposed to the Coalition of Colonies guidelines:

Coalition of Colonies

The Coalition of Colonies, being a highly decentralized confederation, does not have a unified citizenship or visa application in the traditional sense. Rather, citizenship in the Coalition of Colonies itself greatly simplifies applying for citizenship in most of its 357 member systems, along with many of its associate members. It also removes the need for a visa or passport to travel and work throughout most of the Coalition.

Citizenship within any of its member planets automatically grants Coalition citizenship, but a separate application is also available with the following requirements:

Citizenship

• An application fee of 100 credits.
  • New citizens must reside in the Coalition of Colonies for at least 2 months out of the year for five years.
  • By Sol Alliance law, must forfeit Sol Alliance citizenship, if existent. Allows any other dual citizenships.

While most members will grant their own citizenship to Coalition citizens with what will typically be a mere formality, certain members have stricter guidelines on acquiring a citizenship, such as Konyang. Konyang's citizenship requirements can be read HERE.

The following changes are proposed for Eridani Citizenship:

Eridani Corporate Federation

[...]

Citizenship

• For a standard Citizenship, an application fee of 750,000 credits. You may receive discounts by working in Eridani Federation space, which can potentially reduce this fee to zero after several years of work.
  • A probationary Citizenship is available to those who work for a corporation that is registered within the Eridani Corporate federation, with a cheaper fee of 5,000 credits. This probationary citizenship is conditioned on continued employment with the corporation for at least 10 years, and can be revoked if the applicant is fired, laid off, or otherwise leaves their company.
  • Must sign an Eridani Federation citizenship contract.
  • Allows dual citizenships.
Edited by GeneralCamo

I would change the "most" in

While most members will grant their own citizenship to Coalition citizens with what will typically be a mere formality

to "many" instead. I don't think it's entirely likely that the majority of the CoC member-states are lax with their citizenship granting. Otherwise, sounds good.

7 hours ago, DanseMacabre said:

I would change the "most" in

to "many" instead. I don't think it's entirely likely that the majority of the CoC member-states are lax with their citizenship granting. Otherwise, sounds good.

Content-wise this is status quo, just giving a suitable explanation for it that matches what is seen in-game. Currently only Konyang is explicitly stated to be different, and I added ambiguity so that autocanon/future expansion could add additional planets, systems, or associate members that are also different. If this is otherwise desired by the lore team, I have no problems with this honestly. I'm just not in the position to be making those changes.

• 9 months later...

Thanks for this application and sorry for the delay in a response. We like the ideas here and realise there needs to be more understanding with how Coalition Citizenship works however we cannot accept this application as it stands because clarifying Coalition citizenship will probably need to come along with an explanation of how the Coalition works more broadly. This is an update we intend to write soon, so stay tuned. As for the Eridanian changes, they seem redundant to everyone in the Human Lore Team and will not be added.