Noble's lengthy iRobot fan application

BYOND Key: Noble Row 
Character Names: Aizu Kai, Joeseph Mandarin, Custodian (Cyborg) 
Species you are applying to play: IPC 
What color do you plan on making your first alien character: N/A (IPC Exempt) 
Have you read our lore section's page on this species?:

I have read the section under the IPC Wiki articles and other articles to help construct the backstory

(https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=IPC   

https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=IPC_and_Megacorporations

https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=Tau_Ceti_Foreign_Legion

https://wiki.aurorastation.org/index.php?title=NanoTrasen_Corporation

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question. 

Why do you wish to play this specific race: 
I’ve always liked robot or robotic characters ever since I got into roleplaying. When I was twelve, I made my first venture in to roleplaying making a Warforged in Dungeons and Dragons, and shortly after, on a separate roleplaying game I named a human-like robotic character Noble Row from a name generator and figured it was fitting. A name I liked so much I use it as my screen name more than a decade down the line. Robotic characters and their question of sentience and ‘newness’ to the world around them have always been an entertaining point of view to explore. What would you do if you have the intelligence and processing power to excel and exceed expectations compared to the ones around you, but you had no real cultural history, no real foundation, when everyone else had centuries if not millenniums of development? And you’re conscious of this fact, so incredibly conscious that you have a near blank slate to work with for the culture of your people. Where your actions alone could influence how entire races view your own simply because you are so “new”? It’s this level of “newness” that thrills me when playing these robot-like races, and why I want to venture into playing IPCs. Your character knows nothing yet can process so much. They can be molded, they can adapt, their culture isn’t old enough to have any steadfast and ingrained traditions or beliefs that can hold them back. It is up to them here and now to lay the foundation for what their people will become in the future. 

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: 
From what I understand, IPCs follow the idea that they are making a place for themself in the universe. However, they are starting off from an exceptionally low point. Most of them are still in the shackles of ownership or slavery, with few recognizing their sovereignty. They must live with the keen understanding that they are valued less than their fellow man. Even when directly assaulted, punishments for the perpetrator are severally less than if it happened to a human counterpart. IPCs also have their own style of mannerisms, slang, and process feelings different, from emotion to pain. They do not completely understand human euphemisms, and often can be found with a more direct way of speaking all depending on their inherent code. IPCs mostly also do not feel pain (with some exception depending on the model), but still have an inherent need to preserve their lives, as all living things do. 

Character Name: Guardian 
Please provide a short backstory for this character 
Guardian, formerly Hazel #S-H1287.453, found their creation under the banner of NanoTrasen by their Hazel subsidiary for the purpose of hotel staffing in the Tau Ceti sector. Providing excellent service to a variety of patrons, Hazel #S-H1287.453 started off in concierge settings of apartment complexes before, over the years, being transferred to serve in a chain of hotels. Hazel #S-H1287.453, at first, thought the work exceptional, naively doing their best every shift with no pause in productivity while underutilizing their pay as they believed their true reward for their service was a job well done. Hazel #S-H1287.453 eventually rose to the rank of hotel manager of an aging, yet classic, building, before they encountered their first life changing event.  

Hazel #S-H1287.453 found that their new position was a common host for soldiers of the Tau Ceti Foreign Legion on leave from their posts. One night in the hotel’s lounge, with a host of soldiers enjoying their evening, Hazel #S-H1287.453 was invited to sit with a group of TCFL volunteers, in a conversation that first introduced them to the idea of freedom, to what was beyond the veil of excellent hotel hosting service. To the adventure and promise of exploring the stars, and fighting for a cause not for money, but for what they believe. It unlocked something within the mind of the IPC. They wanted more. Hazel #S-H1287.453 from that moment forward dedicated their life’s savings and every credit afterward toward earning their freedom, even if it meant leaving behind the comforts that NanoTrasen had provided them through their service. Years past, but the dedication never waned, constantly thinking on those men and women he met in the lounge that fateful night, and how they drove to dedicate their lives fighting for a cause they believed in, similar to how Hazel #S-H1287.453 had previously had the dedication to provide excellent resident service. 

Hazel #S-H1287.453, now under the moniker ‘Hazel’ earned their freedom and enlisted in the Tau Ceti Foreign Legion, throwing everything away for a life amongst the stars. Eight years passed. Eight long years hunting SFA remnants, incursions, and rogue vessels with their brothers and sisters in arms. In one instance Hazel #S-H1287.453 was extracting a fellow unit of TCFL volunteers and legionnaires under overwhelming fire from an organized SFA ambush. As they’ve seen so many heroic acts before from fellow volunteers, and learned of other members from the history of the legion, Hazel #S-H1287.453 utilized their lack of pain to drag wounded TCFL soldiers on to their ship, losing their right arm in the process, and earning them the moniker of ‘Guardian’, one they still use to this day. 

Guardian has learned from their naivety about the universe now spends their days looking for a more peaceful life than their stint in the TCFL, but not one without adventure. Guardian has returned to NanoTrasen, now free, to be employed on the Horizon with hopes of working in the field of Xenoarcheology. 

What do you like about this character? 
I’m going to be honest, I wanted to make this character because I couldn’t get the idea of a robot wearing a poncho on a voidsuit exploring desert planets out of my head. But now, going through the wiki and writing the backstory, I like the idea of a character who has seen both the pampered life and the horrors of war and wants to see what lies in between. Typically, robotic characters I made are at the beginning of their curiosity, still naive, still unsure on how to operate. Though Guardian will be my first foyer into something more developed while simultaneously still running into the occasional cultural misstep, no matter who they are talking to. 

How would you rate your role-playing ability? 

My heyday for roleplaying was a long time ago, I admit my skills have diminished a bit in the realm of Space Station 13 as it’s also been almost a decade since I played this game (quickly learning however). But that being said, I can write paragraphs if not essays for roleplay if given the time. I’ve always liked writing, and roleplay is an entertaining medium to practice it. Even if it takes me a little longer now to think of the details to put down to make the roleplay rich. I think I’m still good at it. 

Notes: 

Hats off to the lore team, you sure do have a lot of it, and I felt like I was writing an essay back in college again. Even kinda sited my sources. Though please forgive me and correct me if I misinterpreted or just straight missed certain details. Also, for Guardian I was hoping the age of 31 would suffice an adequate time to pay off his freedom and have his little stint in the TCFL? I saw on the wiki page for IPCs that the “max life” of a single IPC was in their 50’s, and that was a rare case. If you have a better suggestion for the age, please let me know. 

• Like 1