Scholar's Head Whitelist Application

BYOND key: AbandonedScholar

Character names: Alexander Lecter, Arssa Vess, Arthur Beaumont, and some smaller ones(including some not known on this server.)

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: Over a year, with some downtime once in a while.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: I enjoy running the different sections of the station, and playing head makes way for interesting role-play alternatives.

Why did you come to Aurora?: The thought of heavy role-play on Space Station 13 was enticing to me, and after a bit of time on the server, I found that interest to be well invested.

Have you read the BS12 wiki on the head roles you plan on playing?: Yes I have. Over the past few years of playing SS13, I have spent time in each head role at some point or another, learning the roles and developing understanding of what it's like to be in that position.

Please provide well articulated and argumented answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about: Role-play is, for me, chiefly about making an enjoyable experience for yourself and the players around you. You take the position of a character outside of reality, and embody that character to the best of your ability. In this way, you make memorable, and hopefully pleasant experiences for everyone involved.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?: The OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is to do about the same as the Head of Staff IC. You are to run the section, and make sure everything runs smoothly. That means, if one of your staff does not understand a certain part of their job, you take action, potentially in LOOC to help them better understand their position.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?: Be an exemplary member of the community, showing other players how they are expected to behave in a respectful and friendly way. I'd like to think that I am generally a very friendly person, and I would strive to be helpful and friendly, whilst respecting the guidelines of the rules of the server.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name: Alexander Lecter

Character age: 35

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs):

Alexander Lecter is a sarcastic character, very cynical with little respect for the people and things around him. He struggles to take very important situations seriously, and is generally very snide and acts in an over-dramatic and very fake friendly manner to most people. He has a tendency to violence, most commonly the one to provoke it in a situation where it is unnecessary.

Despite being a sociopath, Alexander is exceptional at his job, able to complete most surgical practices with easy. He does what he needs to do, and he has saved lives on multiple occasions. Before becoming a surgeon, he practiced medicine for five years, however he was unsatisfied with certain facets of the position, leading to the interest in change.

What do you like about this character?: Being a character who is antagonistic in nature results in many opportunities for interaction, making the character enjoyable for the players around him.

What do you dislike about this character?: This is a character who I have found to be monumentally more interesting as an actual antagonist, and although this generally does not take away from role-play as a non-antagonist, it has situations where it is unpleasant.

Do you think this character is fit to be a Head of Staff?: Yes.

Why?: Although the specifics of Alexander's mental health is 'iffy' at best, he is highly capable of doing his job, and has proven so on many occasions. That being said, arguments could be made in both directions, as his history among the crew is less than peachy.

Please provide well articulated and argumented answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: 5/10. My role-play is something I've always looked to improve upon.

Extra notes:

I would like to start off by saying that I have not had the chance to RP with Mr. Lecter. I will be going off of what I have read in this app.

Although the specifics of Alexander's mental health is 'iffy' at best, he is highly capable of doing his job, and has proven so on many occasions. That being said, arguments could be made in both directions, as his history among the crew is less than peachy.

This raises several red flags for me.

Despite being a sociopath, Alexander is exceptional at his job...

I am genuinely worried.

This app reads like a scene out of a soap opera. Alexander appears to be "far gone" mentally, but someone (in this case, the player) is still insisting that he is fine.

Someone help me out here. How far gone is Alexander? Is he capable of being a head of staff? At this moment, I am unable to say he is.

Firstly, I want to say that 5/10 is being excessively modest. I have had the pleasure of interacting with Lecter, and Abandoned's arpee I would place in a sort of 'elite' caliber. However, I cannot support this application in the slightest, and I'm sorry for it.

The aforementioned pleasurable interaction culminated in my character being shoved into and sent down disposals.

Don't get me wrong, the whole thing was roleplayed exceptionally well, and I had no problem with being sent down disposals in itself. The problem comes when you consider Lecter both doing stuff like this and still being suitable for the position of CMO. I believe he's not even suitable to be working for NT in the first place. Lecter is a brazen sociopath, as you have correctly admitted, but there's a lot which just doesn't add up realistically.

For example, his medical records. How is it, that in 35 years of his life, he only has recorded vague mentions of tendencies towards violence and aggression. Forgive me, I don't recall the exact text. There was also a bit saying something along the lines of the cause of such behaviour being unknown, and recommending psychiatric sessions to uncover this. I imagine you wrote that because you wanted some psych arpee, which is cool, okay. However, why does someone who regularly acts in an obviously unstable, violent, caustic manner, not have any substantial diagnosis yet? An armchair psychologist among the crew could see that he's obviously a sociopath. Why was this not detected in the mandatory psychiatric evaluation needed to sign the contract with NT? Why was he even allowed aboard Aurora? Why is he still being allowed on there after such incidents?

The ways to justify a mentally ill character being on the Aurora are few and far between, but they do exist. You just, in my opinion, haven't found and implemented one yet. Before you've done so, I can't even begin to consider this guy a suitable CMO, no matter how competent he is with medicine and surgery.

Back to the disposals throwing, I can't say for certain as I'm not so clear with the terminology, but isn't this a kind of self-antagging? I don't know if the self-antagging was justified or not, not being an antag but still roleplaying well, but it is an area of concern.

Sorry. -1

I would like to start off by saying that I have not had the chance to RP with Mr. Lecter. I will be going off of what I have read in this app.

Although the specifics of Alexander's mental health is 'iffy' at best, he is highly capable of doing his job, and has proven so on many occasions. That being said, arguments could be made in both directions, as his history among the crew is less than peachy.

This raises several red flags for me.

Despite being a sociopath, Alexander is exceptional at his job...

I am genuinely worried.

This app reads like a scene out of a soap opera. Alexander appears to be "far gone" mentally, but someone (in this case, the player) is still insisting that he is fine.

Someone help me out here. How far gone is Alexander? Is he capable of being a head of staff? At this moment, I am unable to say he is.

A sociopath is someone who has very anti-social tendencies, and lacks a significant conscience, they usually however, are very likeable and charismatic people.

A basically, you will like them a lot usually but they rarely form any sort of bond with anyone and will not think twice about hurting you to further their own needs.

A sociopath is someone who has very anti-social tendencies, and lacks a significant conscience

This is correct. However, everything else you said, Xander, is up for debate by the internet as well as doctors themselves. There are very many conflicting sources with questionable credibility about the intricacies of sociopaths and psychopaths.

Basically the same as what others said. Lecter is one of the few people I interact with regularly, and is one of my favourite characters currently. Howeverrrrr, basically yeah.

I think you'd be quite good in a head position though, because you clearly understand how the game works, and even despite this character's tendencies, you know how to act according to the Chain of Command. Quite a few people have just made up a new character for their whitelist application, and I really don't want to see you change Lecter, so maybe do the same?

But yeah, if you change the character, you'd definitely have mine and other's votes. Also also as a note this link might help if it isn't already on here somewhere. http://aurorastation.org/wiki/index.php?title=NanoTrasen_Occupation_Qualifications

People can be mentally questionable and still be heads but, they tend to be rare.

The skrell RD Vangut Topawifol is... Eccentric and morally questionable, preferring improvement in science over caring about people's feelings and lives. And due to his significant distaste for Humans he can come off quite.. Loopy.

I've had a few interactions with Lecter, most revolving around him calling Silar noodles xD

While I do really like the character I don't think he's a suitable head, especially if he's prone to violence.

I like you as a player, ive only interacted with you briefly but i can see from that you can play as a head of staff and do the job, maybe there are a couple of downsides as with everyone, but i think you could make a good head. Having said that, i dont believe Lecter would be a good head of staff, i think i need to interact with you some more before i can endorse your application. I suggest you use a different character when trying for a head position.

Yeahhhh, I don't like the idea of Lecter as a head of staff. ESPECIALLY after he tried flushing one of his colleagues down disposals. Which is basically attempted murder because you are throwing someone down a high powered pneumatic system made for waste; that's a death sentence. Regardless of this having been made canon or not (which I doubt it was because otherwise you'd proooobably be in jail), this shows me what Lecter is willing to do against his own colleagues.

I would like a different character be used for this application due to the fact that Lecter is clearly not head of staff material.