Player Complaint - Our Lord Spungus

BYOND Key: Our Lord Spungus
Game ID: The round after was crj-aLEU - didn't grab the round in time.
Player Byond Key/Character name: Our Lord Spungus / Eloise Strelitz
Staff involved: Melariara
Reason for complaint: I believe meta gaming, combined with failing in their duties as a Warden, both IC and OOC

The round started with a fairly botched Raider + Burglar, which due to players leaving saw us down to 5 people. Before we even started, we C4'd our own cockpit, then when we got there we C4'd the wrong room. When our target (Cap's Spare ID) was not in the Cap's office, the round for the three Raiders, myself (Robin) included was basically over, trapped as we were. I decided, outnumbers, our gear pretty bad, to eventually surrender, having implants to maybe escape and leave the Horizon. I surrendered almost immediately, before either Cadet that die that round did - though I happily acknoledge that this info is not available to Security, nor does it matter in particular. In my surrender, I was shot a few times by the Cadet who I assume didn't realize me throwing my gun away and resting was to indicate that (I was unable to speak at the time), and after I was cuffed I was taken to medical (though in that process, Eloise did spread the breach to the central ring). There, the surgeon accidentally removed my freedom implants - for which they immediately apologised in LOOC when they realized what they were. I said back in LOOC I'd just ahelp to get it put back in. Eloise was nearby for this conversation, so no doubt Spungus read it.

During the intial period, I was very cooperative, not fighting back, telling them to empty my pockets right away. While IC I was a little smug (playing into the "poltiical advisor who is sure they can legally wrangle their way out of it"), there was no attempt at escape or violence. After the Warden left, I used a tool implant to remove the cell's window. The warden was there immediately, no doubt watching cams. This much so far is fine. They immediately fire their shotgun at me - I hope a misclick given I was unarmed, unarmoured and visibly so, and so far none violent. They quickly put me back in the brig, reasonable, but then proceeded to hold me for 10+ minutes. I asked for medical for my burned hand (on the electified grilles). They proceeded to hold me in their hand. Largely none engaging with my roleplay, nor asking for medical. I was unable to ask myself, after my headset was taken. Eventually, they relented, asked for medical slowly. They also jumped immediately to blaming me having an implant, which combined with the earlier LOOC mentioned is suspicious. However, I do think there is reasonable IC logic to lead there, though after I asked them to search the brig for tools, they merely dismissed that and returned to holding me.

This whole time, and I examined myself multiple times, I was auto groaning, had text in the examine over the "ripped large burn on her right hand." They could have in this time merely returned me to a cell and watched me, or taken me personally to medical - the fix was fairly quick for a doctor. This was all ahelp'd in round, and they did eventually release me, I believe only after been poked from ahelp.

Later, I asked for a headset to replace my taken one. This was my attempt to rengage in a conversation - I at this point had decided that any attempt at escape was doomed to fail. During this time, Robin called Eloise by their first name - which became a point of contention. Things escalated, until they used the brig flashes merely for been provoked by been called their first name.

When I calmly reported this on the comms, they proceeded to enter the brig and attack with their stun baton - the justification to remove my headset for reporting their earleir abuse to the crew. This whole time, I was motionless and none violent - if they merely walked over and took it off it would have worked.

I believe the SCC wouldn't hire someone to a position like warden who is so clearly and easily provoked. The use of force was excessive in all cases. While a character's personnal opnion against a prisoner can come up, it is upto security and especially the warden to act professionally at all times. Any warden that would attack their prisoner when it is excessive is not fit for the job, be it wiht a stun baton, or use of the brig suppression systems, both tools for use on violent prisoners. They're called the "riot suppression system" after all, not the "they said my name when I told them not to suppression system".

Did you attempt to adminhelp the issue at the time? If so, what was the known action taken by administration/moderation? An ahelp was made in round to resolve the earlier part of it - this complain is been made due to actions at the end of the round, which couldn't be resolved in time - Melariara told me to post here.
Approximate Date/Time: 17/12/23 03:45am UTC

I didn't search the brig for tools, mainly because I had been watching you over the cameras the whole time and had searched you prior to your incarceration. Integrated combitools are actually selectable from the loadout screen as a non-antag, so it isn't far-fetched that a warden would have experience with personnel using them to escape confinement. I actually thought the implant was a freedom implant (as in, break-out-of-cuffs, not a combitool) which partially influenced my extended cuff-holding.
As for acting unprofessionally, a character who Eloise considered to be fairly close (not quite a friend, but at least someone she would be sad to lose) was killed by the raiders, Robin was being overly smug and demanding, and required medical for an injury she caused to herself. Most people, security or not, in a realistic situation, would be extremely fucking frustrated to be forced to watch an accessory to the murder of an individual like this, and have them whine for medical over an injury they caused themselves while trying to escape. On top of this, Eloise worked most of her life to obtain the Strelitz surname, and being called by her first name by someone she considers a terrorist murderer would be more than enough provocation to be a little rough.
As for the shotgun, that was an accident. 
I could probably have handled the containment better, yeah, that was my bad.
And, no, I didn't call for medical because I was poked by admins. I don't have the log, but the admin in question contacted me just after I called for medical to speed up. When I said "take your time" I didn't think they'd take ten whole minutes of time.

TL;DR:
I shouldn't have grabbed you for 10+ minutes, but I don't think metagaming applies, nor the IC warden duty failing. OOC, yeah, my bad.

I appreciate this candid reply - it's always a tricky line in Security between meta knowledge and IC knowledge, and OOC I've been there after a busy round too, where you can let your standards slip.

When this gets looked at, I'm happy with the 10 minutes been a simple "sorry my bad". I'm still not sure on IC violence however - it's less if it was justified for your character, and more "would they be hired with so easy a provocation to violence", especially as a Warden. I'm sure real life wardens hear some awful stuff from prisoners beyond just having their name mocked and their life belittled, but most countries don't accept violence from them as an appropriate response.

• Owen locked this topic