Vaurca Updates Online

vuo1.thumb.png.4c8b4aca6e385888bdfadf5fe635ec3e.png

About Us

Vaurca Updates Online (VUO) was founded in 2458 by Nasser Siddiqi, a long-time user of the defunct Vaurca Updates forum and survivor of the Lii'dra invasion of Elyra. We are a Vaurca-skeptic network, composed of a diverse group of voices from all the political spectrum. Our main goal is to deliver truthful, uncensored news about the Vaurca across the Orion Spur. Vaurca Updates Online is not a hate site and condemns any form of bigotry, xenophobia, or threats of violence. If you wish to join our subscriber forum, please donate here. A background check might be required to see if you're eligible for forum benefits.

UPDATE 2/24/2463: the authoritarian regime of Joseph Dorn has led to Vaurca Updates Online being censored in Biesel. We stand in favor of free speech and vehemently reject this decision. Our Biesellite users may wish to research tools or methods that are commonly used to access restricted content.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Vaur's VP Bid: The Vaurcae Voices She Doesn't Want You to Hear

By James McCoy

After Vaur's inclusion in the Dorn ticket, many have speculated the Free Market Party will get thousands, if not millions, of votes. However, not everyone in the beehive is happy.

I came back to Biesel after six years, heading straight for my hometown, Phoenixport. Aside from a brief visit with Mom and Dad, nostalgia was noticeably absent. Instead, what struck me was the jarring sight of Einstein Engines propaganda plastered everywhere. And, of course, the swarms of red Vaurcae that once overwhelmed the city during my last years there were now conspicuously absent.

After a pleasant dinner at home, I made my way to the West Phoenixport Law Center, a modest establishment housed in a strip mall nestled in the city's most downtrodden district. Inside, a small reception area with a dozen chairs faced a glass-enclosed desk. The desk was attended by a C'thuric Vaurca whose erratic chittering filled the otherwise quiet space. After a ten-minute wait, my host emerged: a towering C'thuric Vaurca adorned with an oversized lavallière that draped impressively. She introduced herself as Myur'kha'aalik, requesting to be called Aalik, and ushered me into her office.

Aalik belongs to a group of Vaurcae that arrived in Tau Ceti in 2463. Within their hive, they're considered "punished." Their crime, as considered by the tribe, was to get lost in The Traverse—a mostly unexplored area of the Nralakk Federation.

Upon migrating to Biesel, Aalik and other Vaurcae left in her charge established the West Phoenixport Law Center (WPLC), a place that provides legal counsel at an accessible price.

"We're a better option than a public defender because we have a lot of our Workers focusing on one case at once," explained Aalik. "Many of our clients are locals that are going through a myriad of legal processes, and we help them navigate that."

Aalik is a legal permanent resident of Biesel. Next year, she's expecting to apply for citizenship. When asked who she would vote for if she could, Aalik's response was adamant: "Not Dorn and Vaur."

Aalik is just one of the many Vaurcae that doesn’t agree with Vaur and her mingling in Biesellite politics. The West Phoenixport Law Center has been vocal about its opposition to the Zo'rane leaders. While the WPLC pays rent by providing counsel, they're really interested in the advancement of the civil rights of the "Queenless," a group of pariahs that have been shunned from Vaurca society. In some cases, these outcasts have endured the treatment even before leaving their home planet—many being subjected to servitude in Sedantis.

The "Queenless" cannot lay eggs on their own. For millennia, they have relied on the goodwill of the Zo'ra and K'lax to continue their line. However, these groups have done their best to erase their original culture.  Aalik shared with me the story of Reushka, one of her friends and fellow advocate. Reushka was part of the Vess'ek Nation in Sedantis, but the current Vaurcae she oversees have no recollection of that. Many "Queenless," Aalik says, do not even know what their original hive was. 

In 2464, Vaur decreed that the "Queenless" would no longer receive eggs. If this isn't reverted, "Queenless" will go extinct by 2485. Reports of this quiet genocide are scarce—the initial news gathered some attention, but no follow-up has been provided. Vaurca Equality—the watchdog group led by Vaur, responsible for censoring Vaurca Updates Online in Biesel—actively avoids the topic of "Queenless," not even mentioning them in their advocacy material. West Phoenix Law Center has raised attention to this issue and many of the other hardships "Quenless" face.

Since 2465, Vaur has responded against the WPLC. The "Court of Queens," a para-governmental organization led by Vaurca leaders in Caprice, has complete control over Vaurca bureaucracy. It has gone as far as the Republic of Biesel won't receive paperwork from individual Vaurcae if it lacks the seal of the Vaurca Office of Administrative Services (VOAS). VOAS used to accept any Virtual Reality training in Biesellite law, given it was adequate, as a prerequisite for submitting the documents to the Biesel Bar Association. Now, in order to fulfill the bar examination prerequisite, VOAS has claimed that only Virtual Reality syllabi approved by the Xavier Trasen Medical School are sufficient. If it sounds strange that a medical school has to approve material provided for law students, it's because it is. The Xavier Trasen Medical School is just another institution colluding with the Zo'ra. This move has left the Vaurcae of the WPLC feeling uncertain, especially because they're in danger of losing their bar at any moment.

However, perhaps the situation isn't as dire. As I was leaving Aalik's office, a large magenta-colored Vaurca entered the room. This was an anomaly—the individual, leader of the WPLC chapter in Flagsdale, was two things that do not add up: a Bulwark and only one year old. Aalik was quick to explain. That Bulwark—under the supervision of another "punished" C'thuric Vaurca—was hatched out of a "smuggled" egg. When I asked how these eggs were "smuggled," Aalik feigned ignorance. However, my C'thuric host also mentioned that these eggs were not viable in the long term—they were usually damaged, leading to poor development. That Bulwark, Aalik said, wouldn't live longer than five years.

As I was in the spaceport, ready to return to Xanu, I saw a clip of a rally led by Åke Torvald. He had officially acknowledged the WPLC: "Queen Vaur thinks we're oblivious about her atrocities done to her own Hive. President Dorn has allowed the extermination of [...] the Queenless Vaurca of Flagsdale. Everything about Vaurca Equality is a pathetic front for Vaur's own agenda. The West Phoenixport Law Center is the only advocacy group in Biesel that has bothered to bring this to light."

I couldn't cancel my flight, so I gave a call to the WPLC. Aalik greeted me in a tone I can only guess was happiness. "This is great news for the Center. I'm now next to the phone, hoping that Åke's team contacts us next!" Before hanging up, I asked Aalik if she thought Dorn and Vaur would win the elections. She remained optimistic: "Yes, but anything can happen." One thing is true: the hope that this election can change the future of "Queenless" remains high.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The Hivenet Watch: A Shield Against Uncertainty

War in Heaven, Part Three: “Hail horrors,” Article 1

By Bob Knowles

This article was marked as a 'Quality contribution' by our forum members. Subscribe to VUO to receive more articles like this in your inbox.

The Hivenet Watch is perhaps one of the most misunderstood organizations of our century. Even among forum members, I see a lot of unsubstantiated claims about it. Mainly, some people are concerned with how the group came to be, how it is funded, and if it can really be trusted. Conspiracy theories have risen, claiming that Vaur is behind the whole operation, trying to pretend that Hivenet is being properly monitored. Others believe that the Hivenet Watch is simply a scam—the organization justifies receiving enormous grants by "pretending" to advance the monitoring of Hivenet and Vaurca Virtual Reality (VVR). None of these theories have any basis in reality and merely demonstrate the depths to which Zo'rane-funded disinformation campaigns will stoop to sow hysteria and spread fake news.

What Is the Hivenet Watch?

The Zo'ra arrived in the Republic of Biesel in 2456. The Dorn administration didn't think twice about taking them as refugees: their ship was immediately docked in Valkyrie—where it remained an eyesore for over seven years—and its crew was swiftly relocated to various locations in Tau Ceti. As with many of the more "enlightened" decisions made by Joseph Dorn, not everyone was happy with this. Congress immediately ordered for the surveillance of the aliens, but the contractors were the usual suspects: the NanoTrasen Corporation. Zo'ra immediately cooperated with the projects, even providing partial understanding of how their communication network works, as well as the enciphering of its protocols.

From here it is evident: President Dorn wanted for the young republic a wave of cheap labor and to inflate its population numbers. The NanoTrasen Corporation, no stranger to meddling with aliens for its gain, saw the benefits as well. And Vaur, the puppeteer behind the whole charade, was more than happy to pretend to be the puppet while she reaped the benefits from this supposed "surveillance." 

In 2460, Biesellite Congress used the constant maintenance required for the Flagsdale relay to enact a five-year term in the Hivenet surveillance contract. Bidders were organized by early 2461. Despite the documented bribes from both NanoTrasen and Zo'ra to have the megacorporation renew the contract, Congress—losing the grip of the Free Market Party—elected the Hivenet Surveillance and Research Organization as its new contractor. 

The Hivenet Surveillance was created only three months prior to the deadline. Many criticize the organization because its founder, Nikola Shasho, is a highly private man. A quick search on the extranet throws virtually zero results of him. However, the identity of Shasho, while mysterious, shouldn't be of concern—people are entitled to their privacy and don't have to share details of their life for everyone to read.

The Hivenet Surveillance quickly positioned itself as a serious organization. On January 1, 2462, the Hivenet Surveillance expanded its influence to the Nralakk Federation, changing its name to the Human-Skrell Alliance for Hivenet Surveillance and Research. It is now widely known as the Hivenet Watch or Hivewatch, and it has its headquarters divided between Mendell City, Biesel, and Zuvl'Qlip, Qerr'Malic. In 2466, the Hivenet Watch expanded its operations to Skalamar, though this is mostly related to the ongoing conflict between Zkaii and Tupii.

Why Is the Hivenet Watch Important?

Since its inception, the Zo'ra Hive has been less cooperative with the Hivenet Watch than expected, despite legal requirements for surveillance. President Dorn, Vaur's closest ally, has attempted to shield Hivenet logs from analysis. Fortunately, these efforts have been blocked by Congress. In response, the Zo'ra Hive has feigned compliance by cooperating with NanoTrasen on projects like the newly inaugurated "Vaur's Tower," a purportedly advanced Hivenet surveillance system. However, the Hivenet Watch was not involved in its construction, and the claimed "improvements in pherolingustic expression analysis" require proprietary NanoTrasen software, not easily accessible for the Hivenet Watch. Vaur's Tower is just another example of a gray area in Caprice, proving that if someone is above the Constitution of Biesel, it's Vaur and her cronies.

The Hivenet Watch is perhaps the only organization that can ensure the Zo'ra—and Vaurcae as a whole—do not receive "special benefits" as so-called refugees. Its stance as an organization independent from corrupted governments and greedy megacorporations allows the group to force transparency among the Vaurca. For example, in 2458, it was reported through Hivenet that warmonger Zoleth planned to mobilize war-constructs to Caprice. This led to the foundation of Dis. The documents were partially declassified last year after a request made by forum user @againstredwave via the Information Transparency Act (ITA) of Biesel. The user, identifying themselves as a 48-year-old Biesel native, made various requests for three years, all of which were denied. The existence of this operation was only made public by whistleblower Frederik Callahan, who was sentenced to five years of federal prison in 2460 due to this leak. Callahan had averted that NanoTrasen knew about Dis and decided not to report this information to the Republic of Biesel. The declassified documents, while heavily censored, confirmed Callahan's report. 

Now take for instance the Court of Queens. This coupist organization was established in Caprice in 2463 to form what can be considered a parallel government in the planet. While the reach of their policies is alarming, they have been heavily trumped by the Hivenet Watch. It is estimated that around 87% of all Court of Queens' logs are public and can be publicly accessed here. The remaining 12% remain classified but have been sent to the Republic of Biesel, while only 1% of the logs remain in revision. We can assume this would be different if NanoTrasen was still in charge of the surveillance of the Hivenet, given their poor record.

We can also thank the Hivenet Watch for advances in trying to decode VVR. When the NanoTrasen Corporation held the government contract for Hivenet surveillance, they repeatedly promised to crack VVR, often using this as justification for increased funding. The promise was never delivered, and a leaked 2462 internal report in growings shows that VVR technology wasn't even considered in NanoTrasen's budget. Conversely, the Hivenet Watch has made VVR their main focus since 2463. The organization understands that most of Vaurca private conversations occur inside VVR and that this technology holds the key in disarming the "Arthropod Cabal."

Conclusion

The Hivenet Watch is perhaps the only true organization interested in protecting Spurrians today. The recent conflict among the K'lax has only launched the organization into mainstream, with many following Hivewatch's Chirper account to receive updates. Their pseudo-Cephalon technology is commendable and proves to us that human and Skrell technology isn't as far away as Vaur has tried to make us believe.

Despite Hivenet Watch's best efforts to secure funding, the organization is still fairly small when compared to NanoTrasen. This makes it especially vulnerable to lose the contract later this year. As a result, Hivenet Watch accepts public donations. While Vaurca Updates Online isn't officially partnered with the Hivenet Watch, sending your receipt of donation to info@vaurcaupdatesonline.net can make you eligible for a free month of subscription. Terms and conditions may apply.

Remember: The Hivenet Watch is not about fear-mongering or xenophobia. It is about taking responsible precautions to ensure the safety and well-being of all in the face of the unknown.

Bob Knowles is a Europan ex-pat. He is the author of several sci-fi stories, including Zap!: When Ants Attack and The Mystery of the Cyber Princess. His contributions to Vaurca Updates Online are usually under the pseudonym @spined_and_proud.

Edited by Desven
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

I interviewed Queen Tupii. She used me to start a war.

War in Heaven, Part Three: “Hail horrors,” Article 2

By Emily Kaplan

This article was originally published on Emily Writes Online!💖 on May 25, 2466. The original author has since regretted its publication, but the article remains for archival purposes.

I was fresh out of high school when Biesel made first contact with the Vaurca. I’ll never forget—I was at the store, buying some milk for my mom, when the TV talked about a large Hiveship that was relocated to Valkyrie. After paying for the milk, I immediately grabbed my bike and rushed home. I was so interested in knowing more about this story that, at one point, I dropped the milk, splattering my legs, but kept driving. At home, I turned on the TV again, seeing a Vaurca for the first time in my life. My mom, confused, just asked why I was soaked in milk and where the carton was. However, I was enthralled—I thought it was super interesting that we had met a new species and that our government was willing to aid them.

Flash forward a couple of years, I’m almost done with my Journalism degree and I see stories about Flagsdale pop up. I thought it was mostly unfair how many people treated Vaurcae, especially because the few I had come across seemed ultra nice. By then, I had already joined the school newspaper, so one of the first stories I wrote was about the k’ois outbreaks and what safety measures to take. However, I tried to word my article in such a way that didn’t seem biased against Vaurcae—many articles at the time instead were focused on how Vaurcae were dangerous and to keep your distance. I wanted to provide something helpful that didn’t marginalize these vulnerable communities.

My career in journalism took me then to Foop!, a website that is now sadly defunct but that I truly believed in. We did our best to talk about social issues in an easy to understand language, something all of us spoke. Many of our articles weren’t even 500 characters long—we tried to make news as accessible and fun as possible. Foop! closed in early 2463 and seemed almost overnight. I went to the office, picked up my puff chair and my keyboard, and cried all the way home. By then, I was struggling to pay rent and live on my own. I called a couple of friends, told them about what had happened to Foop!, and asked them to help me find a new job. I spent weeks on job boards, trying to find something interesting. I did get a few gigs as a freelancer—and these were probably the worst articles I had ever written. I was like an auto-pilot, trying to produce to survive.

After four months of not finding a stable job, I was ready to drop the towel. I called my mom and told her that I couldn’t afford paying rent anymore. She helped me pack up my things and I was back at my old room. I thought about my career and realized that, perhaps, being a writer with a focus on social justice wasn’t a viable option. The Republic of Biesel has been, for the most part, too conservative, and the current elections are scary because of how much spotlight the Cetian Conservatives are getting. I had hit rock bottom and didn’t think I’d be able to recover.

Then, a friend called me. She was one of my Foop! coworkers and had been recently hired by the Caprice Sun, a brand-new newspaper that had opened its offices right at my hometown, Belle Côte. The best part was not that I was only recommended, but that the supervisor had learned about the k’ois story I had written back during my college days. According to my friend, the supervisor said they needed someone like me and offered me a job. I was amazed; just as I was about to quit journalism, I had found a new opportunity at something I was truly passionate about. I met with the editor-in-chief the following day and within a week I was already hired.

My years at the Caprice Sun were amazing. I really don’t have anything negative to say about anyone or the team as a whole. I enjoyed talking to people, traveling to new places, and writing thought-provoking pieces that could further our cause. We had a strict policy to not cover any controversies or anything negative about Vaurcae. I never questioned it. It seemed logical, especially as everybody was always looking for something to make Vaurcae look bad. We were trying to focus on the positive and it was honestly the best place I’ve worked at.

Then I was tasked with interviewing Queen Tupii, and my whole world took a turn.

Throughout my time at the Caprice Sun, I never saw or spoke to any queen. Occasionally, I knew that Queen Athvur would step into the offices, but we never saw her. I interviewed Gynes, Bulwarks, and even highly augmented Workers, but never a queen. Needless to say, I was terrified. I knew this was the most important interview of my career and I didn’t want to spoil it. Now, at the Caprice Sun we had focused almost exclusively about Zo’rane issues, though there were times where we also had to write about the other two hives. I knew Tupii because we had covered her coronation and one of my colleagues was even sent to Moghes for two weeks. Sadly, my interview was to occur via the extranet, but that didn’t stop me from preparing myself. I researched deeply into the K’lax Hive, their issues, and their queens. During this time, I learned a lot about them, mainly about Tupii and Zkaii. My journey for more knowledge took me three weeks and countless talks with experts on the matter.

Then something felt wrong. I don’t know how to describe it, but it was like a hunch. I noticed that although Zkaii was the High Queen, Tupii was doing all of these amazing things and trying not to take credit for it. It was almost as if she was too modest. At that point, I knew Tupii wanted to achieve something within the Hive, but I didn’t know what. 

Finally, the day came in. Although it was just a voice call, I still prepared myself by wearing something formal. I sat in the conference room with a notepad and my laptop. I couldn’t believe I was about to speak to a queen, but before I could say anything, Tupii greeted me warmly, as if we were already friends: “Hello, Emily.”

The questions I made were not inflammatory and instead stemmed out of genuine curiosity. I wanted to understand this figure. I did my best to ask her things that would be relevant for our readership and I didn’t hold back. Queen Tupii did the same as well—she answered with grace, but also, very careful. Each of her words seemed almost planned, as if she wanted to ensure that she was sending a message by responding to me. And she did: Queen Tupii wanted to start a war, and she used me to achieve her goal.

After the interview, I learned that I was chosen to interview Tupii not so much because of my experience, but because of the kind of questions the staff knew I would ask. Apparently, Queen Tupii had requested a reporter that was willing to “ask her into a corner.” In other words, she had asked for me because she knew that I would ask about sensitive topics that would, inevitably, stir the pot. Her plan worked, and less than a day later, Zkaii had already replied, calling the Caprice Sun a “tabloid.” 

It was never my intention to make the Queens look bad or fight each other. It wasn’t also my intention to make it look as if we cared more about the drama instead of the interview. I was genuinely interested in Tupii, but I was manipulated. And it cost me my job.

In less than two weeks, I was fired. The only reason given to me was that Vaurca Equality could no longer trust me. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. I had helped the newspaper from the start, and I was now being told I was “untrustworthy,” even though it was Queen Tupii the one that baited High Queen Zkaii. 

In these past few months, a lot has changed in my life. Luckily, I found a new job much sooner than expected, although I’m now trying to stay away from Vaurca topics. However, every now and then I read my name on some articles discussing the conflict between the K’lax. I’ve been called “responsible,” “monstruous,” “guilty.” I don’t know where people get these ideas from, as I was simply doing my job interviewing an important figure. I didn’t do anything else beyond that. I never asked Tupii to respond to something specific, and I definitely didn’t advise her to start a war within her own Hive. I feel like the scapegoat of this whole situation, while the Queens have made it clear they won’t take responsibility for their actions.

I want to state that I don’t feel hatred. I do, however, feel cheated. I don’t think my experience is one that should be used to attack Vaurcae or further vitriol. However, I have realized that the leaders of the Hives aren’t as amazing as I once thought. They’re looking out for their interests and don’t mind pulling the strings and hurting a few people along the way. I was in their path, and I don’t want to be there again. I’m still healing from this whole experience, but I know that I still have a long way to go.

To my blog readers, I implore you: support independent journalism. I’ll be trying to launch a few other projects in the future, hoping we can still focus on social justice topics without having to deal with large NGOs and other institutions that claim to be looking after the most vulnerable. I’m committed to honest news but I’ll need YOUR help. Please support my blog and follow me so you can get the latest updates about me. There’s a lot I still have to do and I’ll document my whole journey here!

Edited by Desven
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

War in Heaven: K'lax's Dirty Secret

War in Heaven, Part Three: “Hail horrors,” Article 3

By Jason Schmidt

This article is part of a series on the K'lax hive and its struggles to integrate within the Izweski Hegemony. Part 1 and 2 are available to Vaurca Updates Online subscribers.

All three Vaurca hives have one thing in common: greed. As wolves in sheep's clothing, the Vaurca have done their best to appear inoffensive to their host nations, planning the moment in which they'll attack. Even the C'thur, taken under the wing of the authoritarian Nralakk Federation, have found ways to expand their influence—especially in the hyper-capitalist Eridani Corporate Federation. The K'lax are no exception, and in record-time they've found themselves becoming one of Not'zar's closest allies. However, greed is a powerful and blinding ambition. From the Vaurca's presumably catastrophic departure from their home planet to Vaur's unapologetic plan to rig Biesel elections, greed has been the downfall of Vaurcae. It's no surprise that the K'lax are also riddled with this disease, and no figure personifies it better than Tupii.

Tupii made her move against ruler Zkaii earlier this year in March. This, however, didn't come out of the blue. Tupii couldn't have made it more painfully obvious, since her election as the head of a K'lax brood, that she had bigger plans for herself. With Zkaii's poor reputation as a pushover inside the hive, it's hardly unexpected that the "high queen" reportedly didn't see this coming. Tupii had to bait Zkaii into a public conflict until, eventually, they decided to settle things in private. This was followed by a very formal declaration of war that Tupii ensured met all the requirements for what is considered honorable within Vaurca tradition.

But perhaps beyond trying to appease other Vaurcae, Tupii should have focused on how this insurrection is seen from outside. While all hives try to justify their rigid monarchy as a consequence of their natural eusociality, the pompous titles of their leaders are meaningless in real-world politics. All except in the K'lax brood. The K'lax have done their best to incorporate the Hegemony's feudalist system into their traditional hierarchies. The Izweski Nation recognizes that the K'lax hive is a proper clan, with an overlord and lords, further divided into clan leaders. In other words, what's really at stake in the K'lax conflict is not who gets to rule over the hive, but rather, who gets to rule over Tret and have a real-life impact. And the Hegemon isn't happy.

The Unathi are no strangers to insurrection and feuds. Eight years ago, a succession crisis struck the Hegemony, leaving Not'zar as victor. However, timing is key, and the Izweski Nation has more pressing matters. Reportedly, ever since the conflict was brewing behind the scenes, Not'zar has requested multiple updates. Additionally, the Hegemon decided to peek into Hivenet for the first time, after his reign had a much more hands-off approach towards the technology in contrast to Biesel and Nralakk. But now that the Hegemony is doing its best to woo Hephaestus Industries and the Skrell, a war of succession—especially among his subjects in charge of large-scale industry—is awful optics. Therefore, as soon as the story hit the media, it disappeared. 

But it's not only the Keepers of the Heirlooms the ones that are guarding the war as a secret. The K'lax hive has not pronounced itself once since the start of the conflict, and while Admiral Xitac spoke more openly about the conflict as soon as the news came out, their words were also carefully chosen and—not to mention—optimistic. Even now during the negotiations with the Federation, it's Vedhra the one acting as representative and not Tupii or Zkaii.

Why are the K'lax so scared of their war? One major reason is that they're losing their grip on the Hegemony's economy. Last time I wrote about the K'lax, Hephaestus had yet to sweep and save the traditional guilds, thus rescuing the Izweski Nation from a major depression. Although Tret wasn't spared by the downturn, it managed to spare the Hegemony's economy during the first quarter of 2465. At the time, Tret remained mostly autonomous—while the Hegemony and Hephaestus have always been involved, the Tretian Guild was mostly owned and operated by the K'lax hive. Therefore, my previous article projected a grim future if Tupii were ever to attack Zkaii. A year later, however, the panorama has changed: the Tretian Guild has had to adapt into the new Hephaestus-owned guild model and even K'lax influence within the organization has diminished. Just last week, for example, Yukal T'zakal reunited with K'lax Hive officials to yet again seek for a proper guildmaster replacement for Tret.

This doesn't mean that Tret will be able to operate without Vaurcae. That likely is never going to happen unless the Hegemony changes its instance on IPC labor. And even then, IPCs have historically shown not to be as resilient to harsh working conditions as Vaurcae can adapt to. A great example is Burzsia, another pet project of Hephaestus Industries that has been in development for way longer than Tret, yet has struggled to maintain the same level of efficiency. Not to mention, Burzsia has been the target of extremist groups for its inhumane conditions. In contrast, nobody protests Tret, and the most dangerous jobs are reserved to Vaurcae that have no will to oppose their position. In other words, Tret needs the manpower and mentality of Vaurcae to run as a well-oiled machine, something both Hephaestus and the Hegemony are well aware of.

But no amount of industry may excuse the rather outrageous decisions made by the K'lax. An interesting choice is that the K'lax war is occurring entirely inside virtual reality, something that was mocked by Unathi media at first. Though the idea might be amusing, curiosity to properly understand what happens inside has completely overshadowed any risible notions. And as I have stated before, it's likely that Vaurcae are hiding a lot more inside Virtual Reality than what we know of. With Not'zar's interest piqued, the Hivenet Watch has been swift to establish an operating base in Skalamar. If the K'lax fail to report more about their conflict themselves, the Hivenet Watch will ensure that the information comes to light. The presence of Nralakk officials in Uueoa-Esa might also influence the Hegemon's decision to formally institute a Hivenet Watch office in Moghes.

This might also point to the obvious: the secret war is no secret at all. Skrell visitors are well aware of the conflict and were perhaps alerted long before the public feud occurred. Vedhra's presence in diplomatic talks can be seen suspicious at best and futile at worst, as nobody is being fooled. But in the meantime, K'lax don't want you to know about their conflict. 

So what's the best outcome for everyone? It depends on what you're focusing on. During her short reign, Tupii has rapidly picked up on improving the relations with Hephaestus and the Hegemony, something Zkaii attempted to as well but couldn't achieve properly. However, Tupii has also been criticized for trying to appease anti-Hegemony sectors within the hive. Zkaii is a staunch loyalist, which can be seen as a positive as we know where she stands. But ultimately, all of this is irrelevant—the best outcome for Vaurcae will always be a victory for them, and what we'll be forced to take will be the scraps of whatever arrangement they make that'll benefit themselves first. The sooner the Hegemon and the rest of the Spur understand this, the better

Jason Schmidt is a professor at the Department of Economics in the University of Tr'ha'rem. Schmidt is also known as the author of Man vs. Megacorps: The Secret of Wealth in the Transstellar Age. He lives with his two dogs and enjoys playing chess.

Edited by Desven
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The Breakaway: How the Future of the Flagsdale Hornets Hangs on a Thread

By an Anonymous User

This article was marked as a 'Quality contribution' by our forum members. Subscribe to VUO to receive more articles like this in your inbox.

In a short time, the Flagsdale Hornets went from being an amateur team to one of the biggest names in basketball. Their humble origins have been thoroughly documented, emphasizing how residents of a slum made it big just by practicing basketball among themselves. This modern rags-to-riches story has made many believe they too can get into professional sports just by slam dunking at a factory courtyard.

In reality, the history of basketball in Flagsdale is more complex. The sport was introduced by a group of Vaurcae that wished to promote physical activity and distract from gang activity. At the same time, the Biesellite Basketball Association (BBA, now the Cetian Basketball Association) sought two expansion teams. The New Marfa Lakesurfers had already been confirmed after an increased interest in basketball among the Elyran immigrant population. However, the BBA did not wish to keep the divisions uneven. The expansion was expected to occur by 2459, but it missed its mark. Desperate, the BBA sought any potential expansion franchises that could promise a solid fanbase. Vaur seized this opportunity, alongside the popularization of amateur basketball teams in Flagsdale, to submit a proposal. Vaur's team debuted in the 2460 season.

The reason why Vaur chose Flagsdale over any other Vaurca settlement goes beyond the presence of basketball in the slum. In just three years, Flagsdale had transformed from an abandoned industrial area to the de facto Vaurca capital in Tau Ceti. Vaur, wishing to improve the PR of Vaurcae, wanted to show there was more to Flagsdale than crime and mycosis. Did it work? In a recent survey, 56% of respondents associated Flagsdale with "basketball." Only 32% of surveyees mentioned "crime" or "gangs." You be the judge.

And while we're at it: the Flagsdale Hornets haven't actually trained in Flagsdale for the past four years—sorry to burst your bubble. Their home arena is actually Getmore Square in Phoenix Park. A lot of Hornets material is misleading, implying that the team still practices and plays in an abandoned factory, but this is false. Why the team isn't called the "Phoenix Park Hornets" is just another way in which Vaur gets to cheat the system—this time, in basketball too.

Vaur soon realized that running a sports franchise, while profitable, is expensive. Enter Arthur "Artie" Sellers. Artie Sellers is a billionaire businessman. After selling his private equity firm to Idris Incorporated, Sellers became interested in sports franchises, particularly in baseball and basketball. After the short-lived glory of his previous team, the Homewood Barks (Cetian Baseball League), Sellers invested in the Flagsdale Hornets. By 2463, he became the majority owner—the same year the Hornets made it to the playoffs.

But something else happened in late 2463: New Sedantis was unveiled. With New Sedantis on the rise, Vaur made her best efforts to relocate everything to Caprice, leaving Flagsdale as a rotting slum for those deemed largely undesirable. If Vaur relocated everything else, why was her basketball team off the table?

Turns out, this was exactly Vaur's objective. New Sedantis has a huge arena known by the pompous name "Palace of Freedom for All Sapients in the Republic of Biesel." Despite explicitly being built for the Hornets, Vaur still remains unable to relocate the franchise. And the reason behind this is none other than Artie Sellers. The majority owner is known for his immense dislike of Caprice. In an interview in 2465, Sellers said, "There's no way you can get me to travel more than 20 minutes. No way. I ain't going to any fucking hellhole planet."

The animosity towards the Zo'ra does not stop there. Despite owning the biggest Vaurca sports team, Sellers has reportedly made various comments that some have deemed "vaurphobic." For example, before the 2466 season, Artie Sellers said during a podcast, "I pay these fucking bugs enough to have them know what side of the court they have." Additionally, Sellers reportedly referred to the K'lax hive as "the green ones" during a private conversation, which also stirred up a wave of journalists hungry to report non-news.

So why has Sellers yet to be "canceled" by Vaurca Equality? The obvious reason, of course, is money. But beyond that, Sellers' hands-on approach toward the Flagsdale Hornets has turned the team into a huge success. The Flagsdale Hornets won the CBA Championship in 2465, and the Hornets seem strong enough to win another championship for a consecutive year. This has all been possible, many think, thanks to Sellers and how involved he's been during practice and acquisitions. In other words: without Sellers, there's no Flagsdale Hornets.

Despite the promises made by the Hornets during these playoffs, the Zo'ra are expected to stop maintaining the franchise next season. If the franchise fails their mark, they're expected to undergo radical changes or even dissolution. This scenario remains unlikely. While Sellers' teams have flopped before, he's not willing to have the Hornets sink as well.

Meanwhile, Vaur wants to have her cake and eat it too, something that has only been possible due to the CBA's aggressive expansions for the past couple of years. The latest Port Antilla's team, Bayleys Papiyosas, flopped after one season, and Vaur was quick to rescue it. It is unknown how much, if any, of the identity of the Papiyosas will remain after it's relocated to New Sedantis. The Flagsdale Hornets have been famous for remaining a Vaurca-only team, despite some Vaurca stars now playing on other teams, most notably among the Portsville Fisherfolk. Vaur's new team is likely to remain Vaurca-only. 

As always, this is a good reminder to all Vaurca Updates Online readers that sports, particularly basketball, are where the Biesellite government is currently pushing their progressive agenda. As the playoffs are about to start, I invite you to boycott everything related to the CBA. Don't throw your money and views at them. In a short time, they'll have Vaurcae playing on every team for the sake of inclusion.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

K'lax Conflict Witness' Story Explained

War in Heaven, Part Three: “Hail horrors,” Article 4

By Ahklu Zkazos

This article was marked as a 'Quality contribution' by our forum members. Only registered members are allowed to comment. Subscribe to VUO to receive more articles like this in your inbox.

While the Izweski Hegemony has been preoccupied with a rebellious lord, newspapers from the East Heartland region of Moghes have reported on Kort, a Vaurca janitor who claims to have participated in the K'lax virtual reality conflict. The news has failed to garner attention from the wider Orion Spur, and many that have read the articles believe Kort's story to be a hoax. While some of Kort's claims are compelling, solid arguments have been made to refute the story. This article is meant to remain impartial, showcasing multiple perspectives alongside the chronology of events. Civil discussion is encouraged in the comment section, which will be moderated by Vaurca Updates Online staff.

Who Is Za'Akaix'Kort K'lax?

Za'Akaix'Kort K'lax is a Vaurca janitor who currently works at the Baandr fish market. The name was reported by The Baandr Fisher's Gazette as Za'Viax'Kort K'lax but the publication's editor confirmed to me in a phone call that it was a mistake. This distinction is very important—there is nothing to suggest Kort is mentally impaired by nature. Keep in mind Vaurcae aren't known for keeping members they deem "defective." 

The 2465 Land Survey of Lord Mizaruz Izweski, which is publicly available here, lists all residents of Baandr that must pay tribute to the lord. The survey lists every clan leader and his working dependents, alongside profession. The survey's section of Vaurca residents is brief, listing only a small community led by a Ta'Akaix'Lubillin'xaa K'lax, a servant of Zkaii. Among the dependents of Lubillin appears Za'Akaix'Kort K'lax with the title "Custodian, fish market." This piece of evidence proves Kort's identity and should remove any speculation if the Vaurca is real. While no records of employment from the fish market have been made public, it is safe to assume that Kort was working as a janitor since at least January 2465, long before the news broke.

I interviewed a young fisher who also works in the market. They chose to remain anonymous. The fisher stated that they've been working there for only about nine months, and confirmed to have seen Kort before. The fishersinta said: "The Vaurca community in Baandr is small, so when you see one, you really remember them. I've never interacted with Kort, but I had seen them walk around with some kind of unique headphones. I have friends that have spoken with them and they all agree that Kort is polite."

I also asked about the mental faculties of Kort. The fishersinta replied: "The people that know them […] all claim they were sound. I had never heard of Kort saying something crazy. I believe that's why some Sinta chose to believe them." Keep in mind that this testimony is anecdotal, and I was unable to interview any Unathi that had come in contact with Kort. I received some emails from Sinta who supposedly had spoken to Kort, only to fail to identify themselves as proper employees of the fisher market. Keep in mind that even if the fishersinta's testimony is true, these conversations would have been likely brief, as my source was adamant that Kort had no friends and kept to themselves. However, when asked if they believed Kort to fit the "kooky janitor" trope, my source replied with a firm no.

I also asked the fishersinta when Kort first began missing work. Their response was uncertain: "About a month ago, maybe a month and a half." The Baandr Post first reported that Kort had taken a leave of absence starting in March 2466. The Baandr Herald, who recorded an interview with Kort, reported that the leave had begun in May 2466. The Baandr Fisher's Gazette reported that Kort had only been absent for three weeks, all in June. The Gazette, though sponsored by the Fishing League, is not affiliated with the fish market. In my call with the Gazette's editor, they confirmed that the date provided in their article was an "estimate" but remained unverified. Regardless, dates are relevant as they offer the time frame during which Kort could have participated in the virtual reality conflict. All outlets, including the fishersinta I interviewed, agree that Kort returned to work the first days of July.

Chronology of Events

On July 3, 2466, Kort—who had reincorporated a day prior to their job—had a mental breakdown after reportedly refusing to enter the janitor's closet, believing it was "controlled" by the deceased Master-at-Arms Gist. The Vaurca had been asked by a supervisor to retrieve some soap. According to eyewitness testimony, Kort "shrieked" and "babbled" before having a seizure [1] [2] [3]. The Vaurca was immediately assisted, but after regaining consciousness, they threatened their coworkers with a broomstick [2]. The fisher I interviewed claimed to have seen the event and believed the object to be a "tie rod" used for scaffolding. My source claims to have not witnessed an actual threat by Kort, and believes the Vaurca held the object "by accident" after attempting to flee the crowd. The claim that Kort threatened to injure their coworkers remains dubious. 

Minutes later, Kort calmed down and accepted a glass of Xuizi juice. The Vaurca was reportedly lucid and talked while the personnel waited for the healers to arrive and examine Kort [1] [3]. It was during this period when Kort first mentioned having participated in the K'lax conflict. According to the reports, Kort's speech was "composed" and their narrative was "logical" [1] [2] [3] [4]. 

Kort remained calm until the healer arrived. The healer, Myuza Naazki, was reportedly so impressed by what Kort said that she was the one who called The Baandr Post. It is important to note that Naazki has just recently relocated to Baandr. She was not listed in the Land Survey of 2465 and reportedly had "little to no experience" when dealing with Vaurca patients. Naazki informed the Post she was "genuinely curious" about what Kort mentioned and believed it to be true. Naazki's behavior has been scrutinized by some, including The House of Medicine, that believe she "outed" a patient and must face consequences. However, Naazki remains she did nothing unethical because "[Kort] was sound and well-spoken when we met. They showed interest in talking to the media and asked if I knew someone that could report on their story. I determined [Kort] to be healthy and their story to be no cause for alarm, but rather the truth." This request by Kort has yet to be confirmed by any eyewitnesses. 

The following day, Kort returned to work as usual. However, The Baandr Post interrupted them mid-shift with a myriad of questions. Kort answered during their lunch break. According to my source, "[Kort] reincorporated to their job as usual. They just quietly kept moping after the interview was over." Kort's story was published that afternoon, but the initial report did not include much of the information gathered in the interview. 

On July 7, 2466, The Baandr Post published the story again. The "recycling" of this story has also been a matter of speculation. The Post released Kort's interview in its morning edition, providing a deeper insight as to what Kort had mentioned, as well as additional context on the K'lax virtual conflict. The Post's second report concluded that Kort's story cannot be verified, but contends that the Vaurca "must be telling the truth" as the imagery was "vivid."

On July 9, The Baandr Fisher's Gazette reported on Kort's story. The Gazette's article was mostly a rehash of the information provided by the Post but containing some errors. The Gazette also claimed that Kort had been on "medical leave," but this detail remains unconfirmed. Despite the shortcomings of The Baandr Fisher's Gazette, this article was popular among fishers of the city. According to my source, by July 11 or 12: "[Sinta] were coming to the market just to see Kort. Some even spoke with them, but most were just puzzled to see this Vaurca from afar. Kort had spoken about something we've all been wondering about. [Kort] remained polite, but I could see they mostly kept to themselves and didn't want to be swarmed by a crowd."

On July 14, Kort was interviewed by The Baandr Herald. The Herald interview was much more thorough and recorded. The complete interview can be seen here. The interview was performed inside the fish market and, according to my source, "improvised." It is unknown if the Herald had permission to record inside the market or if Kort was informed of the interview beforehand. Despite this, the production of the Herald's interview remains high quality, with professional lighting, microphones, and high-resolution cameras. This has led some to dismiss the idea that the Herald could not record as a rumor.

On July 15,  Kort returned to work in complete silence. According to my source: "They just showed up and didn't say a word, didn't interact with anyone. [Kort] wasn't particularly talkative before, but today felt as if something was off." It is uncertain if the Vaurca will do more interviews. 

Sources and Disclaimers

I've mentioned three newspapers already: The Baandr Post, The Baandr Fisher's Gazette, and The Baandr Herald. Alongside the fisher I interviewed, these are the three main sources regarding the Kort story. However, when analyzing the content of each publication, we should also consider the inner politics of the papers and their perspective, especially for those not native to the East Heartland.

The Baandr Post is, essentially, a tabloid. It is considered a cheap newspaper, often read by peasants before and after work. The Post is printed twice a day—in the morning and afternoon. The morning edition is the longest, including all the large feature articles with relevant news for the day. The afternoon edition is usually considered rushed by most readers. On slower days, the afternoon Post has been noted for repeating the same short story up to three times in different sections, covering all the necessary printing space. This is relevant because Kort's story was likely picked up as a filler. The Post could have posted a well-written article days later after the original story gained some traction. 

Because the original Post note was so brief, I'll be mostly referring to the second article, published on July 7. I'll point out any differences between the two and if there was any information present only in the first article.

The Fisher's Gazette, as mentioned before, is not an official publication by the Fishing League. Going through their webpage, the Gazette feels mostly an amateur outlet. This was confirmed to me by their editor, who admitted to the mistakes in their story and confessed not trying to get in touch with Kort before their article's publication.

The Baandr Herald, in contrast, is a serious, large newspaper. It is owned by the Keepers of Heirlooms, the same guild that runs Sinta Articles, the largest and Hephaestus-sponsored publication in Moghes. This is highly relevant, especially because Sinta Articles has done its best to avoid stories related to the K'lax conflict, despite first being eager to publish them. 

Due to the regional nature of The Baandr Herald, it is likely that the newspaper had more "leeway" when compared to Sinta Articles. However, the story might still be biased. The fisher I spoke with claimed that Kort's interview with the Herald lasted "about an hour, an hour and a half, maybe almost two…" yet the released footage is roughly 27 minutes long. Keep in consideration that the fishersinta was working and did not keep track of how long the interview lasted in real time. We must also take into consideration the amount required to install the lights, cameras, and prepare the crew for an interview.

There's another source I haven't mentioned by name yet. On Chirper, an anonymous user claimed to have attended Kort before Healer Naazki arrived. Normally, I wouldn't take these accounts seriously, but the user has chirps going as far as four years ago, with most insinuating she's employed as a paramedic in Baandr. I chose not to reveal her account handle as I don't want to expose her, but I want to make it clear that the information by this account is considered "speculative" at best since I couldn't confirm her identity. I believe it's an account with enough history for it to be a hoax, but I don't trust sources I can't confirm a hundred percent. The claims made by the paramedic will be marked so they can be taken with a grain of salt.

Kort's Narrative

Kort claims to have participated in the K'lax conflict, taking place inside Vaurca virtual reality. The Vaurca provided some detail as to how the war is being fought and who is currently in advantage. The specifics of the quotes have been contended, with variations being scrutinized by interested parties online. It's important to keep in mind that only The Baandr Post and The Baandr Herald can be considered primary sources, as they were the only two outlets that directly spoke with Kort.

In the original Post article, Kort was quoted saying: "Everything was ashes and fire. There was no place to stand. Everything was wrecked. I don't wish to return. I never saw so much death." In the second Post article, this quote was slightly modified to "Everything was wrecked. There was no place standing. I do not wish to return. I never saw so many corpses" (emphasis is mine). The alteration of the quote has raised some concern, but is speculated that the editorial team decided to tweak the text for readability. Because this isn't common practice when citing someone, the alteration has been exhaustively analyzed in the past few days by Vaurca Updates Online readers. This will be discussed in the next section.

The second Post article included more information. In the new note, Kort claimed to have been part of the "mirror vanguard" and affirmed that Zkaii's troops had a large advantage. This last post was already implied by the original note, but the second article greatly expanded upon it. Zkaii, according to Kort, had "greatly reduced" Tupii's forces, which were now retreating "to a stockpot [sic]" [1]. It is unknown what Kort meant by this. Additionally, the question remains—if the Post had already altered Kort's words, why did they choose to maintain the word "stockpot"? This, too, has also been a great subject of speculation, but no consensus has been reached. An analysis of Kort's vocabulary is outside the scope of this article, as it would require a deeper insight.

In the second article, Kort revealed that the internal name for the warzone is "Shathulson" [sic] and described the area as "mushy, cavernous." The name provided by Kort is similar to the "Shant Ulson" and "Xathul Son" variants previously gathered here in Vaurca Updates Online. Some supporters of Kort's story have claimed that the name is definitive proof that Kort is not lying, but the reports of a "Shathulson" have persisted for months, even if the spelling has been debated.

Kort also informed The Baandr Post that the conflict was being fought "by the millions" and that it didn't look to be nearing soon. According to Kort: "[Gist] and Tupii won't give up. They just won't give up." This is in reference to Master-at-Arms Gist, a recently deceased Vaurca military officer from the Izweski Hegemony. For those unfamiliar, Vaurcae believe that, after death, a computer program can recreate their personality and interact with others in virtual reality. It has been widely speculated by Vaurca Updates Online readers that the Vaurca Gist was "culled" so that he could aid Tupii—an event that, if true, has been considered barbaric by many.

The Post note concluded with Kort claiming that they were returned to the real world because they did not agree with their commanding officer. Kort denied they were in any danger or told by anybody not to speak about this situation. Kort reported they felt "at peace" because they could work at the fish market again. This last remark is one of the largest differences in the Herald's note and interview, where Kort mentioned they were "not at liberty" to speak much. According to the Chirper account from a paramedic, Kort remarked they wanted to talk with the press "under a pseudonym" and that they "weren't safe even in the fish market." This was not mentioned anywhere else and Kort ultimately did not use any aliases. 

The Baandr Herald did a more thorough report and interview. The main differences between both stories is the detail—for the Herald, Kort vividly described the death they claimed to have witnessed: "Virtual corpses and not like real corpses, they smell more. They [inaudible] more. It was a pile of stenches." It is also noteworthy to mention that there are sections of Kort's interview that are hard or impossible to understand. Kort's voice modulator is a cheaper model and "fizzles" often. The Baandr Herald tried its best to provide subtitles to the interview, but there are words left marked as inaudible. Additionally, some words in the subtitles do not match what I heard. I believe this was the reason why some of Kort's quotes were altered in the Post articles, though the practice still remains heterodox for a newspaper.

Theories

Kort's story has been largely scrutinized and many readers, including local Sinta, believe it to be a hoax. The reasons as to who or why this hoax is being promoted are diverse. Some Sinta believe that this is a distraction promoted by the Izweski Hegemony to divert attention from the recent Izaku rebellion and the shortcomings of the Hegemon. Others believe that the hoax was promoted by Zkaii as a way to garner media attention and put pressure on Tupii. However, there is no conclusive evidence to suggest either of these two theories is true.

What is evident, however, is that some of the details surrounding Kort's story are murky and hard to rationalize. One of the biggest mysteries regarding Kort's case is Healer Naazki and her involvement. Some posters believe that Naazki is part of a conspiracy to promote Kort's story. Naazki claims she only contacted The Baandr Post because Kort requested her to do so. The healer has no known involvement with The Baandr Post. In her Chirper, she stated that the Post seemed the obvious choice because "[t]hey were the only ones that would listen to a Vaurca." The paramedic's account reiterated that Kort wanted to speak with the press through various chirps, saying Naazki never exposed her patient. Again, this remains dubious. The House of Medicine claims that they'll conduct an investigation to determine if Naazki broke any rules of her profession.

Some statements made by Kort have been edited, something that has also incited conspiracy theories. While the audio from the Herald's interview seems to be intact from the original, it is possible that the original footage contained more information that was deemed not apt for the public. However, as I mentioned before, the quality of Kort's voice modulator is not the best, and at times their speech becomes unintelligible. It is possible that part of this raw interview footage contained entire sections where Kort's speech was undecipherable. Additionally, the changes in the paragraphs between the two notes by the Post are, all things considered, minimal. There is nothing to suggest the Post heavily altered Kort's words, though it remains a possibility.

Some skeptics of the story also believe that Kort simply had a mental breakdown or sought five minutes in the spotlight. Again, all evidence we know of Kort's character has been anecdotal, but even then, it is possible that a mental breakdown could occur at any time. As for Kort's interest to become a public figure: while their reaction to crowds might be seen as evidence that they're not interested in being recognized, several people have mentioned that Kort did seek to speak with the media. It is likely that Kort simply did this to interest reporters from the Baandr region.

Conclusion

The veracity of Kort's story remains unconfirmed and the motives that prompted Kort to speak are also unclear. While we might receive more information in the future, it is likely that we may not learn anything new about this event. However, Kort's words do appear to align with some of the information already gathered by outlets such as Vaurca Updates Online, corroborating what we know about the K'lax conflict. 

Ahklu Zkazos is a Unathi independent journalist from Moghes. He currently lives in Mictlan. Zkazos considers himself as a "Vaurca-skeptic skeptic," seeking to promote healthy debate among the Vaurca Updates Online community.

Edited by Desven