Damarik's Head of Staff App

BYOND key: Damarik

Character names: Damarik Laizare, Darius Leomine, Quinton Liere, High Father Taleoron

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: A couple of months now

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?:I have what I believe to be a firm grasp on what it takes to be the captain of the station and would like to attempt the role.

Why did you come to Aurora?:I came to Aurora to escape the insanity of Basil and Sybil, seeking more active roleplay than end-of-round Robusting and Murderbones.

Have you read the BS12 wiki on the head roles you plan on playing?: Thoroughly.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:Roleplay is about expressing a part of yourself that you don't normally have the opportunity to live out. It embodies becoming that character in every way, shape and form to the point where your desires and that of your characters commingle and meld to become one and the same. It is not just a game, but an intricate story told through characters that live, breathe and exist in a world separate from our own.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?: OOC is kind of a hard thing to discuss on these terms, but if I were to try and sum it up, I believe that the non-character roles of the HOS crew is to provide knowledgeable information and a welcoming environment to both new and old players. To be able to answer questions that they might have.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of White-listed players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:It is to provide the most welcoming atmosphere to everyone who enters into the game, and to provide and set examples for both standards of action and equality amongst the players, as well as to provide a proper figure to learn from in terms of characters who might one day also seek to hold those positions.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name:Maximus Altaire (a new character for the role)

Character age:65

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs):

Having grown up in a military family, Maximus is no newcomer to authority and leadership. Having been shipped off to a semi-prestigious academy at the age of eighteen, he ascended the ranks of his other squad mates to become the leader of his platoon, graduating with honors at the end of three long years of attendance. Shortly after, he enlisted in the Sol Alliance military establishment, and began to claw his way to being a commissioned officer.

Having served now for over forty years in the military, Maximus has taken his leave of retirement with a clean DD-214 and an honorable discharge. Scouting around for means of employment just to keep his skills sharp and level, he spied an opening aboard NanoTrasen and applied immediately, including his full resume and service record.

Maximus Altaire is by no means an intimidating man. With silver-gray hair, close cropped to regulation and a suit pressed so thoroughly that it might have been within an inch of the fabric's life, he puts off an air of professionalism and confidence. During his years in the military, his command was prominently marked by loyalty of those under him and decent enough praise from his upper brass to earn him something of a reputation as a 'softie'. This, however, does not hide the streak of order and discipline that one can still see lingering behind ice blue eyes set into a weathered, yet still somehow noble appearing face.

What do you like about this character?:

Altaire is the character I've always wanted to play, but never found an outlet to introduce him into. He embodies everything I'd one day hoped to be.

What do you dislike about this character?:

Maximus, unfortunately, embodies everything I never became. While familiar with the military and its ways, I was never quite able to 'hack it', and was given an early discharge. That will forever be reflected in this character.

What do you think makes this character fit to be a head of staff?: He has the experience to know what needs to be done, and the wisdom to understand that one does not push others more than he would push himself. You can't expect subordinates to do things you would refuse to do...it's not only bad for morality: it's plain bad leadership.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: I have considered myself something of a mid to high-rate roleplayer since my budding years in Second Life. I've played a variety of characters across many species and gender, and am able to transition between them fluidly. I prefer paragraph RP, though not every situation calls for it, and I understand the difference between setting atmosphere and just plain dragging things out with useless information.

Extra notes: As much as I would love for this character to be white-listed, I understand that with my limited time on the server, and the relative unfamiliarity of my characters, that it may not be granted. If you want any indication of how my actions in game can be received, however...one needs look no further than the initial reaction to the Sect of Singulation's appearance in writing.

Thank you for your time, whether or not you grant this application its status as an admissible player.

As a note, the whitelist is all roles, not just Captain. I'd like to see you more on the server before I give an opinion, I havent been able to be on the last few days, but hopefully I get the chance to interact with you.

Id like to start by saying i think your application is good. I think you could make a good head. Having said this i dont believe ive met you IC, i dont currently have access to my computer so i cant judge your characters. I will give you a +1 but im interested to see what others say about your RP.

Since I'm an OTR Truck Driver and mainly get on when the server's at pretty low pop, I'm going to post in spoilers a few choice snippets of RP that I've logged from other places/games that I've done. I know it's no substitute for in person interaction, and I don't expect to be approved based solely on it, but perhaps it may help those who have yet to play in game with me to better see how I operate my characters.

Roleplay Session: 12/12/2013

Players: Diomades Concord (Diomades)

Dream Weaver (Damarik) as "The Hooded Man"

Main Setting: Castle Ruins, Ardentine Countryside

~A dispatch is sent to the Ardennes Barracks, calling for Diomades to report to the Castle Ruins in the Ardentine Countryside...armed if he so chose...but alone. The Lieutenant arrives with all due haste...~

[16:09] Diomades: "Interesting choice of location." He remarked as he trudged through the snow. Removing his helmet once he reached the top of the hill, he gave a firm nod of his head to the hooded stranger. "I suspect you are the one responsible for Relic being released, then?"

[16:15] The Hooded Man checks around with all due expectancy of others having followed...pleasantly surprised to find none in the vicinity. "A very long story, and under most unfortunate circumstances...I assure you." He casts his attention in the direction of Diomades, the thin crease of his lips being the only outward sign of discomfort. "I apologise for asking you to meet under these circumstances...but it has come to my attention that a variety of activities have gone by without my direct notice...and that I am regarded as something of a malevolent presence. I wish to speak to you of these matters...nothing more. As long as our weapons stay their places...neither of us needs to walk away from here harmed."

[16:20] Diomades gave a shrug of his shoulders, reaching his left hand around to tap at his scabbard. "It's here entirely for my protection. I will not draw it unless I am forced to. Especially not against one of the Princess's servants." He remarked, nodding to the estranged one. "I should thank you for your actions, really - but I will get to that later. What was it you wished to say?"

[16:23] The Hooded man gives a slightly visible cringe at the mention of the Princess, his ears swiveling around to check for external presence once again...something felt off. "I called you here to tell you that regardless of where I am from...I am not your enemy. I do apologise for the circumstances regarding the release of Relic...there was some miscommunication in the agreement that was made as it pertained to when she would be released. However, that aside...let me make myself perfectly clear. I am here to assist you in doing your work...not to fight against you. I do what I do to uncover that which you cannot, so that you may do your Empress-tasked duty. We need not be on opposite sides of the fence on this matter."

Roleplay Session: 12/20/2013

Players: Dream Weaver (Damarik) as "The Hooded Man"

Imperious (Aryte Vesperia)

Main Setting: Office of the Warmaster, Ardennes Barracks

Secondary Location: The Docks of Ardennes

~A series of knocks arrives on the door to the office of the Warmaster. They are not rushed...but there is a sense of urgency to their resonance.~

[15:08] Imperious sips at some beverage or another, contained within a highball glass. He tips the brim away from himself, sapphire field holding it in suspense as his ears shift back to acknowledge the sound. "You may enter," he calls, without turning around.

[15:09] The Hooded Man enters the office quickly, shutting the door behind him just as fast as he is in the room. Turning his attention to the sole occupant, the Hooded One speaks. "Warmaster Imperious. Good evening."

[15:12] Imperious twirls the glass around within his grip, the clink of ice against the walls resonating faintly. He shifts, turning about to devote his vision over to the figure. "Speculation tells me you're the agent I was told to expect. What can I do for you, stranger?"

[15:13] The Hooded Man moves no closer, making himself as neutral as possible. "I was told by Her Majesty that you would be taking over the proceedings that would allow me to meet with the Changeling you have custody of. I would wish to speak with her without further delay...my time is short."

[15:15] Imperious maintains that toothy expression, drawing another sip of the auburn liquid in the midst of it. "Indeed," he rolls off his tongue, stepping forward ahead of producing a key from the folds of his robes. He gives it a little wiggle, dangling it within his will. "However, I require an understanding as to where exactly you derive your authority from. I am not simply cooperating with a hooded unknown out of the goodness of my heart."

[15:16] The Hooded Man knew this would be bound to happen as well...fortunately; there was no one nearby whom could see what he was about to do. Carefully, he lifts the front of his hood back to reveal a familiar face. "Hello Imperious." He smiles before returning his hood to its position.

[15:19] Imperious presses the glass back to his lips, snorting a huff of amusement into the nearly empty container. Having finished the drink, he sets the crystal basin aside. "Is there a reason we're avoiding making the Empress privy to your existence? I'll play along, but next time I'd appreciate a heads up."

[15:20] The Hooded Man shakes his head. "I'm not sure what you were informed of...but the Empress is familiar with me. Otherwise, this meeting might not be taking place. However...aside from those whom know who I am...I'd rather this not become public knowledge...if you get my meaning."

These snippets are both logged by myself from a continuing story arc in Second Life that ran the course of over a year. As Dream Weaver, the Hooded Man, I served as an Agent of the Princess Selene. My primary task was to gather information, recon enemy territory, provide last line defense to Her Majesty in case the guards failed and to be an overall pain in the tail to those in Ardennes...though that last bit was by choice.

Edited by Guest

I can vouch for Damarik's roleplaying. He does not mess around. He takes his job very seriously. If there's work to be done, he's usually the one doing it, and I'm sure that behavior will carry to any position he is in. Not only is he a good worker on the station, he also cares for the other people working on it. He concerns himself with their well being whenever he has the ability to help. He doesn't act out of character or metagame. Out of character and in character, he was very helpful in teaching me the ups and downs of cargo tech. It never seemed I had to ask him anything; he was already telling me. When he was finished, he volunteered to teach me anything else I didn't know. He is a good roleplayer and good person in general. He would make a good head. +1

I was a cargo slave and Damarik, as the quartermaster, showed me the ropes. I already had a decent understanding of cargo, but I don't frequent heavy RP servers and this was a refreshing experience. His skill with RP was top notch, and he definitely knew how to act as an authoritative figure. I know my comment can't mean a whole lot, as I haven't played much, but I had more direct exposure to Damarik's demeanor and I'd volunteer to say that he'd make a good Head.

p.s. he's a damn good QM