Internal Affairs Rehaul

Guest XanderDox

What are Internal Affairs Agents?

Corporate Investigators that are dispatched to facility offices from their management station office to ensure regulations and procedures are upheld, and that their corresponding management station is aware of any significant events that take place.

What is their job on board the NSS Aurora?

To act as a liaison between the NMSS Odin and NSS Aurora. Handle complaints and act upon them. Investigate lapses in procedure and regulation following. To act as a consultant for crew and Heads of Staff on the matters of Corporate Regulations, and Station Directives.

Who gets a job as an Internal Affairs Agent?

Those who have worked for the company in Human Resources/Administration for a significant amount of time, or otherwise have proven themselves exceptionally competent. Someone that the company respects and trusts to be their eyes.

How does Internal Affairs get treated?

Like shit. By mostly everyone. We're either ignored, insulted or down right abused, even by Heads of Staff.

Alright. I'd like to suggest a few things here, all related to Internal Affairs

Whitelist Internal Affairs

These guys are supposed to be more trusted by NanoTrasen than their Captains. They are NanoTrasen's eyes and ears on the station, and their executor of action. They should not be open to the chucklefucks that have made the role a disgrace that gets laughed at. Icly, the role is supposed to be prestigious and feared, but it is not, a whitelist might fix this, you can cry 'elitism!' but bringing a role up back to equal standing with every other job, is not being an elitist.

Alt Titles

Basically, sub-specializations of IAAs in the form of alt-titles.

Internal Affairs Agent - Jack-of-all-trades, general investigator and complaint taker.

Internal Affairs Consultant - Specializes in all forms of NanoTrasen procedure, can be trusted to be able to give word for word explanations from Corp Regs and Station Directives.

Internal Affairs Investigator - Specializes in investigation and dissemination of information.

Security to Command

Long standing issue, Internal Affairs is no longer needed to be a watchdog over Security, there is no reason they need security access or Sec-Com access.

Give IAA Bridge access and Command Comms, remove Sec access and Sec Comms.

Give Us a Forum Board

Internal Affairs arguably would benefit greatly from having a board with a DO update thread identical to the Head of Staff one is, as well as having their own area to discuss investigations and the like. This would obviously be handed to those who have been whitelisted as IAA.

More Power

Internal Affairs are almost completely hogtied. They cannot force an investigation without a Head of Staff, and that Head of Staff is able to say no. You can say we can fax Central, but the result is either the DO comes aboard themselves to look into the matter, or the fax is ignored (I have had all my faxes over the last three days ignored completely) .

Give us the power to FORCE investigation without Head of Staff/CentComm approval, PLEASE. I'm not saying let us force our way into departments or anything, but let us force people to come to our office for questioning without having to write paperwork and beg for an executive order.

Give us a Head of Staff

Director of Internal Affairs. they'd oversee the Internal Affairs Agents, be able to force investigation into any department, and possibly overrule the Captain on this front. They'd review all complaints/investigations and faxes from IAA to Central to ensure accuracy.

Outfit would be a NanoTrasen Rep outfit, minus the beret. This role would require someone to be IAA and Head of Staff whitelisted (If double whitelisting is possible?)

Thats pretty much it. Thoughts, feedback, criticisms? (No insults plox)

Whitelist Internal Affairs

You immediately gained my favour, I support this 100%. A role that is so important and has an RP curveball, such as starting out with the loyalty implant, I think at least, should be reserved for people who've shown they can do it correctly. While yes, the IAA's do get a lot of flak and hate, most of the time it's becase they've had a bad taste left in their mouth by an IAA that didn't know how to do it properly.

+1

Whitelist Internal Affairs and more power

Fucking PLEASE, it's a role that should be taken more "seriously" then other roles, at the very least because of the implants and because of the ability to screw over a round. IAA are also more trusted so it makes for a favorable chucklefuck position. Also, currently IAA is simply not worth playing. Any Head shows up and your business with that department might as well end. The only consistant thing an IAA can even remotely do is fax complaints to central, except Incident reports do that way better. Detective and security take over any suspicious activities, (like lights blowing out, for example). IAA's also are expected to never make friends, in a social RP game. I have found that the only fun thing to do is look into people's personal lives, like dating and hold parties to mitigate two opposing parties in the name of WORK EFFICIENCY. but the chances to do, and to get away with that, are close to none most rounds. Most people, especially heads who you always need, will also straight up ignore IA agents because they're lame and everyone knows this. And good luck enforcing paperwork. people just immidately ask permission from heads or security does the job for you, then bitches that IAA is encroaching on security matters. FUCK. IAA tends to be ignored by most players because they're esentially less then useless but also you can't social RP with them as well as you can with other jobs.

*Security to Command*

while i would usually oppose this, seeing as checking if people are rightly brigged(silently) is one of the few things to do on a boring round, the additional power would make checking this much easier without the need to physically move around

Give Us a Forum Board

this can just be included as a subsection of the heads forum section,no?

head staff

eeeenh, not sure about this one

Wouldn't this just turn IAAs into DOs?

At that point, why not simply apply to be a DO?

I believe you might want to highlight more precisely how IAAs remain different from DOs in your suggestion.

Why even have IAA around then? name one thing IAA can do that a Captain can't do better, and Captain's are around way more then IAA are!

is it just so captains don't have to personally page CC all the time? because Captains do that anyway, even when IAA are around half the times. and if it's the complaints, then Incident reports do that better.

Wouldn't this just turn IAAs into DOs?

At that point, why not simply apply to be a DO?

I believe you might want to highlight more precisely how IAAs remain different from DOs in your suggestion.

IAAs wouldnt have the power to fire/jobban characters, suspend, demote make paydocks, or take any executive action against them whatsoever?

Why even have IAA around then? name one thing IAA can do that a Captain can't do better

They don't have to put up with the shit of everybody on the station. In comparison, a captain will almost always be busy dealing with antags/anybody that needs generic help/erp.

The way I see it, right now, IAAs are "Duty Officers lite". They're easier to get into, are readily available, and are perfectly capable of conducting excellent investigations when played to their full power (who cares if they can't demote somebody for one shift, they have the power of getting heads to act for them in-round, and DOs to act for them in the overall station canon).

If you make them a entire supercomplex department with a whitelist, sub-titles and their own head of staff, they'll just lose all of their accessibility for being a powerless and watered-down (but just as elitist) version of DOs. That sort of suppresses their current purpose, imo. Or perhaps, to support my point better, I'd ask: "Why would you choose to deal with things as your proposed version of an IAA when you could be a DO instead?"

Plus we have no more than 2-3 regular IAA players. I strongly feel like whitelisting the job will cause it to fall into oblivion, as nobody will bother to experiment with the role due to the additional effort needed. And for little gain, as well. IAAs are loyalty-implanted - it's probably the easiest job to jobban bad players from.

It may be better to outline an Internal Affairs Agent's duties, responsibilities and powers clearly; rather than doing this.

E.g. Heads of Staff may NOT interfere with, or shut down an Internal Affairs Investigation unless it poses a risk to the physical safety of the crew, the mental safety of a vulnerable crewmember/s, or in the act of carrying out the investigation, corporate regulations or space law are violated, with lenience given to claims of alleged harrasement.

It may be better to outline an Internal Affairs Agent's duties, responsibilities and powers clearly; rather than doing this.

E.g. Heads of Staff may NOT interfere with, or shut down an Internal Affairs Investigation unless it poses a risk to the physical safety of the crew, the mental safety of a vulnerable crewmember/s, or in the act of carrying out the investigation, corporate regulations or space law are violated, with lenience given to claims of alleged harrasement.

I could actually agree to this. An official, adminisfration backed outline of the IAA position and their relation to the staff.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Let's just make them lawyers on retinue from Biesel legal services, or corporate lawyers. Then we can explain why some of them are shitty, and allow them to ruin sec's (or anyone's) day if they're being dumb. Internal Affairs can be like, an alternate title?

Let's just make them lawyers on retinue from Biesel legal services, or corporate lawyers. Then we can explain why some of them are shitty, and allow them to ruin sec's (or anyone's) day if they're being dumb. Internal Affairs can be like, an alternate title?

I REALLY like this idea.

The only purpose of lawyers (that I know of) is to make sure prisoners are brigged justly and over properly evidenced offenses.

IAAs make sure everyone sticks to the SOP (and respects corporate regs as well, in some cases security can't verify/enforce.)

Replacing one by the other, isn't that... turning an apple into an orange? Or something.

Unless we're talking lawyers for NT that yell at people for doing things that could get NT sued, no. I dont want to be a role that was thrown out due to lack of a legal system.

Guest Marlon Phoenix
The only purpose of lawyers (that I know of) is to make sure prisoners are brigged justly and over properly evidenced offenses.

IAAs make sure everyone sticks to the SOP (and respects corporate regs as well, in some cases security can't verify/enforce.)

Replacing one by the other, isn't that... turning an apple into an orange? Or something.

I literally said it could be an alternate job title. It's an addition, not a replacement.

IAA are neutered and no one gives them any authority over security, so security lacks immediate round-relevant oversight. An overhauled IAA could be made something you need a Head whitelist for, and lawyer comes back to ensure justified briggings. Like I'd play the fuck out of a lawyer role; it would allow us more opportunities for prison-rp and a hopeful balance against unjust briggings.

Plus it's easier to explain why Dwayne Johnson, Lawyer, is a stupid dumb-ass - in that he's just a regular dumb lawyer - than it is to explain why the NT trusted and vetted IAA is running around naked stabbing people with a scalpel. Our lawyers would be corporate lawyers trained in Corporate Regulations, and when/if necessary, relevant Biesel/Tau Ceti laws.