XanderDox's Forum Moderator Application

Guest XanderDox

Basic Information

Byond Account: XanderDox

Preferred means of contact: Skype (xanderdoxen)

Timezone: EST

How often do you visit/use our forums?: Every day except some Saturdays and Sundays, otherwise I check it when I wake up, go to bed, and generally all throughout the day.

Experience

How long have you been with our community: A year this August.

Do you have any experience in forum moderation or administration?: Yes, for the past incarnations of Colonial Marines, I have served as a forum and serverside Admin and Mod. And on another now dead server (Sulaco) I was the Forum Manager

Have you ever been banned from our server or forum, and if so, how long and why?: I personally have not been banned, people in my household have been, I appealed that ban and in turn provided all of their ckeys and continue to provide ckeys should they make new ones.

Personality

Why do you play SS13?: Its an escape from an otherwise shitty life, its fun, its a great time-passer.

Why do you play on Aurora?: I honestly love the community, its the reason I stayed instead of going to Hypatia or Bay. I love the atmosphere (usually) and I love the characters and their different styles of RP, its like a little roleplay bazaar!

What do moderators do?: They *smiles cheekily* moderate. They ensure the forums stay neat and tidy, and that discussions are kept at a friendly level, and try to stop any flaming or ad hominem that may occur. They are basically there to make sure nobody gets overly rowdy, and if they do, they prune the conversation. They also delete/move/merge topics and do general forum pruning.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our community?: What does it mean? It means being a defender of roleplay, roleplayers (Aurorians) and all that they hold dear. No but seriously, it means doing your best to make sure everyone is doing okay, within the boundaries of the rules, and making sure anyone breaking the rules is spoken too.

Why do you want to be a moderator?: I reaaaally like forums, like I enjoy them a lot, I literally scan the forums even when I know I won't post. When I was Lore Canonization Application Manager, I had a hell of a time just renovating that little forum section and making sure it was all neat and tidy. I also have OCD and some things about our forums... Bother it.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?:

For being a forum moderator:

I am organized

I have great work ethic (Jackboot can attest)

I am eager to be given tasks

I am always active and proactive about doing my duties

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?: Erhm. Stress, I do freaking great, a childhood of police, parental health issues and dead pets will do that for you. Anger, I generally make mistakes when I'm really angry (like turning in my whitelist). And insults, I do not take the best, generally if someone attacks my person, I either retaliate, or make a mental note to retaliate when I can. This is one of my more negative traits.

Anything Else You Want to Add:

Uhm. I really want to help out but I can't code, map or sprite and server moderation is not an option?

Oh, and as always, thanks for taking the time to read this <3

Questions:

1: You've applied to be a server moderator in the past before. Now you're applying for forum moderator. What, if anything, has changed since now and then that makes you want to apply for forum moderator?

2: There is once again a great deal of server drama on the forums. If you were currently a forum moderator, how would you address it?

3: At what point do you know you should take a step back and let other people handle an issue?

EXTRA-CREDIT: Tell me a story about revenge. It doesn't have to be true. It only has to center on revenge.

Answers:

1: You've applied to be a server moderator in the past before. Now you're applying for forum moderator. What, if anything, has changed since now and then that makes you want to apply for forum moderator?

When I applied for server moderator, it was around the start of the school year, and I was naive. I didn't actually have time to be present for my trial so I was denied. Afterwards I applied again, but it was during my phase of childishness and I was promptly denied a trial. Now, I've realized I'd rather just play anyways, rather than have to play through logs and the like. Being a forum moderator will allow me to help out the community, while not detracting from my overall experience.

2: There is once again a great deal of server drama on the forums. If you were currently a forum moderator, how would you address it?

I would not directly address it with an opinion if I were currently a forum moderator, unless told that I may by a primary admin or supervisor. This is primarily because, as a staff member, your voice/opinion does carry weight, and is usually representative of the administration's stance. It is usually good to remain neutral on these stances, unless a direct side has been taken by the administration, or you are otherwise required to act as something has violated the server/forum rules.

To DEAL with the drama however, I would start by locking any threads that even showed a hint of a flame war, and deleting anything that seemed overly hostile towards a player or group of players. If players need to get out anger towards one another, they can do so over PMs or BYOND pager, this is NOT a highschool hallway.

3: At what point do you know you should take a step back and let other people handle an issue?

I know I need to step back when I become overly heated, because at that point I am bound to either make a reckless, or uniformed decision. Another thing is bias, I do have small list of people that I do openly hold a bias towards, I would actively refrain from taking action against these people if I feel my bias is affecting said decision, and would instead forward the issue to another forum moderator, or an administrator in lack thereof.

EXTRA-CREDIT: Tell me a story about revenge. It doesn't have to be true. It only has to center on revenge.

She nervously held the gun, cloaked by the newly fallen darkness. Her breath escaped her body slowly and quietly, out of fear of being heard. The door across from her was only just visible.

There was a brief moment where she thought that the danger had passed, but her thoughts deceived her. The large oak door, flew off its hinges towards the woman, forcing her to abandon her weapon and roll to avoid the crushing blast. A man walked in, he was exceptionally large, six foot and at least, 200 pounds. He grunted, as he stepped towards her and sent his foot flying into her jaw.

She reeled back screaming, smacking against the hardwood floor, blood gushing for her mouth. He wasted no time, her grabbed her hair, and dragged her by force to the computer she had just been using, which sat opened on her desk, providing the only light within the mansion.

He whispered into her ear, "Did you think that you could get rid of me? A Mason is not killed so easily, Alexandria. You cut down my family tree, and now I'm going to burn yours to the ground.",

He then brought her face into the light of the screen, "This is Alexandria Emelia Petrova Marquisa Orlay Godswood, Head of the Godswood Estate, and heir to the 45 million credit fortune of her parents. She is for all intents and purposes, deceased as of this moment."

She muttered out a brief goodbye into the screen, looking directly into the recording webcam, before being violently dragged back from it against her will, she struggled with all her might, with all her being, but in the end it was not enough, the man fixed his hands under her neck and on the side of her head, and twisted, snapping her neck.

"Message send." he coughed out, staring at the motionless body below him.

He laughed and sobbed at the same time, as he proceeded to walk down the hall, passing two bodies of freshly killed men.

The Pawn... Had toppled the Queen.

• 3 weeks later...

Aaaalrighty.

I've zoned out of the moderator side of things, but this has been something that keeps popping up on my radar. From observation, and doing some reading, a lot of the reasons for Xander's actions have been along the lines of, "Removing potentially inflammatory material". This irks me. A lot. We have never removed content because it can potentially do harm, we have never removed content because it can potentially offend.

It's silly. If people do offend someone outright (ad hominem or outright rip into someone), then sure. Warn them and discuss the matter with them. But if people potentially offend someone? First: who art thou, to judge what offends me? Second: good judgement should make it rather clear as to what is permitted and what is not. If it's good, and people still get offended, then. Well, hey, how about we do our jobs as moderators and actually see about clarifying things?

Just me 2 cents, anyways.