CDB's head of staff application

BYOND key:CDB

Character names:Jane-Luc Price, Amari Rosensteel.

How long have you been playing on Aurora?:On and off for about a month.

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?:Well, my main character, Jane has always been a character I played within the role of HoS, and given the frequent lack of heads I figured it might be nice to apply.

Why did you come to Aurora?:Was looking for a higher-roleplay server one day, saw Aurora on the hub.

Have you read the BS12 wiki on the head roles you plan on playing?:Yup!

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about:What Roleplay is? It's playing a role, usually includes building that role up from the ground, both through ooc world building and In character story-advancing roleplay. That's largely what I feel roleplay is, or should be.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?:Serve as a singular guiding entity for a given department, someone who can provide defense against that most dreaded bystander effect by willfuly directing his forces, as well as ensuring quality control among his staff, making sure they're not being the "problem" for other departments, misusing their access, training and the like.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?:Well, I would probably say their responsibility is to be 'aware', aware of what their job entails and what their underlings job entails, it's no good if a head of staff can't help guide along newer players who're working under then, one way or another.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name:Jane-Luc Price.

Character age:45

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs):Born on a small, frigid and particularly polluted colony known to its inhabitants as Noxus, a planet within the outer-sphere. Daughter to a Jackson and Eyelene Price, succesful workers in the private security and mining field respectively. She would spend her younger years picking up the mining trade from her mother, learning to operate(at least amateurishly) your basic mining rigs, drills, and other similar equipment before she would eventually transfer out to internal-security within her parent corporation, serving to break up your general worker rowdyness and prevent theft of various pieces of equipment. A particularly brash decision, confrontation, then shattering loss would result in the effective loss of her father, actual loss of her arm and the ultimate destruction of her once indestructable ego. This loss would quickly come to define her child-hood, leading her to seek to better herself in all things. quickly working her way up through the ranks of the internal security force she served before seeking her fortune elsewhere.

At the end of her contract with Noxus Mining & Freight she would sign up with the very same private security corporation her father had once served with, stepping into his shoes so to speak, the woman once more being cut down to size as her swelling ego was popped by being constantly in the company of people truly experienced in their respective fields, the experience leaving her with at least some small amount of patience and humility as she would slowly work her way up the chain until she found herself comfortably managing her very own field-team, her voracious ambition would eventually lead her to sign a long-term contract with nanotrasen, primarilly in the field of internal security and logistics, serving some years as she consistantly sought to push further and further along.

What do you like about this character?:Probably not the easiest question, it's a bunch of things. I'm quite proud of all the work I've put into them over the four years or so I've played 'em, I consistantly enjoy playing them out and adding onto their story.

What do you dislike about this character?:It always sorta wore on me how I wrote this character into a corner in terms of their personality, abrasive, short tempered, so much as I love playing 'em I frequently end up in more stand-offish interactions with other characters and that tends to lead to 'less' interaction as a whole.

What do you think makes this character fit to be a head of staff?:Well, a few things. Their assertiveness, knowledge of corporate regulations, SoP, but probably most importantly I'd say their experience. Jane is one of my older(both OOCly and ICly) characters with years of experience under her.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: Well, I'd rate it about 6/10, I put a good amount of effort into my characters, building them up, building up related information and whatnot, and I like to think I play the roles I choose effectively.

Extra notes:I initially had nothing but after writing way too long of a backstory blurb i figure I'll put it here. http://pastebin.com/CcAqN7vw

Played with him on a few different servers for what four years now and its always good to see them as HoS as you know the jobs going to get down well and the jack boot will be swiftly applied to law breakers. Can be a tad zealous as Jane but that fits the character more a firm and fair which contrasts with Amari who seems more refrained.

Uuuuhhhh, not sure if the last two posters are real players, but anyways.

I had issues with this character, Jane Price, mainly because it's that sort of "shitcurity" and edgy attitude coming out of her, "You pushed me with harm intent? I'll fucking flash you." kind of thing, which happened a lot. I don't see it fit as a head of staff, I'm unsure of other characters, hence I never met them.

-1 man.

I'm not sure you understand the procedures we operate under here, as you assume we use the Baywiki SOP, which we don't. So I want to ask a few questions.

1. If the Captain suddenly dies during standard operation of a health issue (non-disease related) , who is the defacto acting Captain?

2. When are a Search Warrant and Arrest Warrant, NOT required?

3. What is the highest form of on board regulation?

4. What is Internal Affairs role in relation to the command staff?

5. At what point is the Captain overstepping their authority? When are they allowed to overstep it?

6. Are executions permitted?

1. From what I recall, there would be no immediate de-facto captain.

2. Search warrants aren't necessary on code blue, during the processing of an arrest or when you've clearly seen the person with contraband or similar. Arrest warrants aren't required during any given situation where the individual needs to be taken into custody to prevent danger to the crew or station(IE, crewmember axing randoms.)

3. In general? station directives.

4. Not sure I understand how you mean. In terms of the immediate relation of an IAA to a head of staff, they're generally expected to serve up suggested courses of action based on their knowledge of

NT regulations, corporate interest, etc.

5. When they countermand existing regulations or the authority of higher personnel(duty officers, central command mandates, etc). Presumably only under exigent circumstances and even then not lightly.

6. Not last I checked.

I like Price. She's efficient and knows her stuff. However she's the typical over-aggressive security officer. If she feels that she is working under someone with less skill of knowledge than her she will instantly attempt to flee the department. She would even go as far as to be barking demands to head of staff during red alert situations.

These flaws make me wonder as to the authenticity of the player behind her. I can't judge solely on that though considering that might just be her personality and I've not interacted with cdb's other character.

I can support on a mild basis with some skepticism. I know an inproperly used whitelist can be revoked so I say give it a shot.

I've played with CDB oftenly on our previous server, but not nearly as much on Aurora. While their character Jane-Luc Price can be a tad bit overzealous at times, they without a doubt, know everything there is to know involving Security, and a good chunk of the game, really.

As was previously stated, a Whitelist can be removed as was with a previous player, and even though I highly doubt that it'll have to come to something like that with CDB, they are very deserving of a chance to prove that they can be an excellent HoS.

I'll be honest. Price is one of the worst security characters I have ever seen. They act like an abusive officer even when in investigative roles such as detective. That character should not be trusted as a Head Of Security by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd like to be proven wrong and see Price as a good character for the job, but this has not happened yet and it would take quite a long and vastly different track record for me to trust Price with the role.

Could CDB handle being a Head of Staff? I've only ever seen them in action as Price. From what I have seen, no. No CDB can not be trusted with that much power. Especially not as Price.

Either see about making a new character for the role or RP Price in a way that is more becoming of a Head of Staff. As Price is now, this application should not be approved or even considered.

don't suppose I could get you to be a tad more specific than "Jane is abuse"? any particular situation that strikes out against you? It's hard to address or work towards mending bad behavior when only given a very vague definition of what you've done wrong.

I did some soul searching by walking along a dock at sunset while listening to "Dust in The Wind" and came to a realization. "We've had a few detectives named Price haven't we?"

After some deep introspection that came about as I was teaching a small mid-western town how to dance again, I found that Miss Jane-Luc looks nothing like the specific Price that I had once known. It probably helped that they had a similar name (John? Jess? Jessica? James? Jeremiah?), but again, that Price is not this Price.

Once I knew that the Price was not quite right, I sought about an epic journey to see just who this Jan-Luc Price is. After a long and arduous Montage that included such trials as running through the crowded Philadelphia streets with "I'm Gonna Fly Now" playing in the background and learning the basics of the ancient art known as Kar-a-te between the lines of Joes Espito's "You're the Best Around", I had finally come to a firm conclusion. "Meh. Jan-Luc's probably not that bad. Probably."

Inspirational tales aside, CDB obviously is not the person I thought they were. Multiple people vouch for their RP and about as many warn that Jane can get a bit too "into it". CDB can probably handle the role. I ghosted and watched Jane in action for a bit and did not see her do anything particularly game-breaking or power-gamey.

I retract my previous -1. Let's see how this goes, eh? Now if you will excuse me, I have to go learn about myself and the world around me by spending time with members of different cliques in Saturday Detention and put off writing anything until after we've all come to a mutual understanding of respect and friendship.

I wouldn't say Jane was Shitcurity, more a stickler to the rules and clings onto them without much flexibility. But at the same time, while other Officers sometimes can't be really fucked to do anything (there's a hand full of them) Jane's usually getting stuck in with it.

My only advice, being a HoS (that people may or may not like) is to wind down a bit, not be so abrasive and learn to be a little flexible but with a stern resolve.

I suppose I can see that, I will say in my defense that it seems like few officers(and even a few HoS's) don't seem to really...care, about upholding the little regs, things like "Get a warrant for arrests, don't just let crew have weapons without permits" etc and it feels like at least 'one' person should be pushing for these things to be adhered to.