Replacing Genetics

Its been said in OOC a few fair times that some people think the "genetics" part of genetics should be thrown away, since its rare you ever seen genetics used without it being abused. Adding the new organ printer adds some practical use to genetics outside cloning, but the actual DNA modification part is still just as bad.

How you see genetics being practiced today is stuff like making goat's milk that you can process into silk, or Kevlar, or making glow in the dark goldfish. How about we introduce something like that? You can collect certain genes from certain mods, like webs from spiders, space breathing from carp, and implant it in embryo's of other animals. It could give use to cows, chickens, goats, and other animals that never/rarely get ordered. Get a cow, insert genes from a spider, and bam, you got a web/silk maker. You can then sell the fruits of science's labours through cargo, and bam, you have interdepartmental communication, and a system thats hard to abuse.

You mean the thing where you can put out species limbs on a human, or the other way around? Would that really be a "genetics" job? Now that I think about it, how does a "geneticist" fit in the same category as a "biologist?" Making Frankenstein monsters by adding other species limbs doesn't really seem like it would fit the job title of a geneticist. As it stands, with the ability to make proto-creatures, the two would be good working together, but their jobs are very different.

Some of the mutations have 'fluff' benefits if you actually roleplay the research, which I admit people don't actually fucking do that much but still, things like hulkism could be the key to defeat muscle atrophy in space. I mean, genetics has a lot more than superpowers that we don't seem to have game wise. Genetics is why most crops today can resist herbicides and why corn looks the way it does today. I mean rather than replacing it, it would be good to build upon it to create new foods, animals with new traits and other shit like that, that's what I'd like to see.