Fix Botany

Aetherscald

So I just found out that botany has been dumbed down to being a not fun job, even WITH mutagen. I'd like for the developers to fix that and maybe integrate certain things in like nutriments that have a chance of mutating the plants, a drying rack so people can smoke their food, potato man cloning, and maybe even bring Xenobotany back for the people who know how to make that work (i.e no one).

When I went on Aphelion they had drying racks and they had smoking pipes available as a loadout item. One round I decided to be an old man who made the whole public garden area into a wooden smoke shop for people to chill out in and get their favorite flavor of smokable. Hell I even sold the HoS dried grass. It was good shit and it has the side effect of keeping people fed somehow. Please it bring it back to snuff.

Don't forget to make corn + hatchet = corn cob +hatchet = cob pipe. Aphelion weirdly didn't have that feature so I could only sell my wares to people who started out with pipes.

Also maybe add in some sort of restricted chemmaster for botany to have an easier time of traitoring or making actual reefer from dried grass injected with ambrosia space drug?

So I just found out that botany has been dumbed down to being a not fun job, even WITH mutagen. I'd like for the developers to fix that and maybe integrate certain things in like nutriments that have a chance of mutating the plants, a drying rack so people can smoke their food, potato man cloning, and maybe even bring Xenobotany back for the people who know how to make that work (i.e no one).

When I went on Aphelion they had drying racks and they had smoking pipes available as a loadout item. One round I decided to be an old man who made the whole public garden area into a wooden smoke shop for people to chill out in and get their favorite flavor of smokable. Hell I even sold the HoS dried grass. It was good shit and it has the side effect of keeping people fed somehow. Please it bring it back to snuff.

Don't forget to make corn + hatchet = corn cob +hatchet = cob pipe. Aphelion weirdly didn't have that feature so I could only sell my wares to people who started out with pipes.

Also maybe add in some sort of restricted chemmaster for botany to have an easier time of traitoring or making actual reefer from dried grass injected with ambrosia space drug?

• 3 weeks later...

Botany, IMO, is just fine as it is. In Aurora, at least, it's meant to feed the station, not much else.

While the RP of a smoke shack sounds interesting - it would be just as interesting to have some sort of vegetables market from botany, where people could come and take fruit and vegetables as they like.

IIRC, the corn pipe thing already works right now.

Finally, botanists already can have a VERY easy way to antag. I know, by name, four different plants that could kill someone (two of them are mushrooms). And "reefer from dried grass injected with ambrosia space drug" is COMPLETELY illegal in Aurora, and you would most likely get arrested for it - so that's a huge no. Then there's the issue of Botany actually distributing chemicals they're not supposed to. There's a reason that there's only two locations with a chemmaster - both restricted. They're powerful.

So overall, I am COMPLETELY against this because it sounds like it's just a ploy to turn botany into a massive drug lab.

Then there's the issue of Botany actually distributing chemicals they're not supposed to. There's a reason that there's only two locations with a chemmaster - both restricted. They're powerful.

I believe you mean the Chem Dispenser, because the Kitchen itself has a ChemMaster.

This is already a thing here.

Otherwise, no, the point of botany is not to make drugs, it's to provide food. However, Hypathia actually had the system for plants where each had different attributes. Growth speed, yield, potency, etc. You could selectivelly grow the favorable ones to produce the best sort, not to mention it had a random chance of major mutation. Botany was actually fun and had a scientific feel to it.

Otherwise, no, the point of botany is not to make drugs, it's to provide food. However, Hypathia actually had the system for plants where each had different attributes. Growth speed, yield, potency, etc. You could selectivelly grow the favorable ones to produce the best sort, not to mention it had a random chance of major mutation. Botany was actually fun and had a scientific feel to it.

Pssst. we have a similar system already. use an analyzer on the products and plants to get the stats an breed the ones you really want. just remember a pepper with a potency greater than 80 will kill tajarians and humans who don't seek medical help.

Edit. we are planning on adding xenobotany when we move to the ground map. it will give us a much more advanced breeding system

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Botany is a miny, baby RnD. They're supposed to experiment with the plants. If it's provided in the seeds machine, they're allowed to plant and grow it.

Aphelion has Xenobotany, which is the primary reason I began playing it. And it's an amazing department. Adding Xenobotany would be better than this, and actually including the lumen system that is half-assed in Aurora's code.

Just remember a pepper with a potency greater than 80 will kill tajarians and humans who don't seek medical help.

If you manage to get a syringe, and both Botany and Kitchen access, you can notably become a third Chemist as Chef/Botanist and use the CondiMaster to whip up various medicines, extremely potent poisons, and the like via extracted chemicals from your botanical creations.

It requires a lot of work and a bit of coordination, but completely changes the extent of what you can learn, play with, and do in Botany.

Edit. we are planning on adding xenobotany when we move to the ground map. it will give us a much more advanced breeding system

Oh gods yes.

Also, I made multiple suggestions on how to make botany a better role other than just "give food to the chef" because we have food vendors otherwise that can do that as well. I made a forum a bit ago about it, said it would be shelved for now since they're dealing with more, more important things.

Pssst. we have a similar system already. use an analyzer on the products and plants to get the stats an breed the ones you really want. just remember a pepper with a potency greater than 80 will kill tajarians and humans who don't seek medical help.

I swear I've tested it and it wasn't working recently. After several generations every plant was showing identical stats, I'm gonna try again today to check.

Otherwise, when is this mythical new map going to be implamented? Also, why is it so fucking huge?