[Accepted] GhostInSpace's Permaban Appeal

BYOND Key: GhostInSpace, SpectralSquid

Total Ban Length: Permaban

Banning staff member's Key: Garnascus

Reason of Ban: Broke into the Captain's Quarters to "have some fun", coupled with an extreme abuse of escalation of force and self-antagonistic behaviour over the last three months.

Reason for Appeal: I like the server and would like to continue to play on the server. Aurora is the only server that offers a gamemode vote, so it's the only RP server that offers the ability to experience each gamemode from both the perspective of standard crew and antagonists. My character had his IC reasons for infiltrating the Captain's Quarters which unfortunately Garnascus did not find acceptable. I have a better idea what sort of behaviour constitutes self-antagonism now. I would very much like to continue to play on the server.

Hey man, if i recall during this incident. you werent antag at the time so this is unfortunately INCREDIBLY over the line and coupled with your history at the time i felt a perma-ban was justified. What do you think self-antagging is now? why do you think its so over the line for a non-antag to break into the captains office and steal items?

Hey man, if i recall during this incident. you werent antag at the time so this is unfortunately INCREDIBLY over the line and coupled with your history at the time i felt a perma-ban was justified. What do you think self-antagging is now? why do you think its so over the line for a non-antag to break into the captains office and steal items?

Strictly speaking, I don't think what I had my character do during that session was over the line at all. I am a fan and a practitioner of organic roleplaying— or call it reactive roleplaying if you prefer. What I mean by this is I develop my character's personality and backstory, and I act in character and react to the actions taken by other characters and thus allow other characters to react IC to mine.

In the particular session that led to my perma, my character was receiving no assistance from Security despite pointing out a major security risk (in this case it was an Assistant equipping themselves with insulated gloves) and there was a character on the Aurora who was claiming to be a mercenary bounty hunter making repeated requests over general comms to assassinate my character, while simultaneously assassinating my character's character through repeated insults.

My character's intention in breaking into the Captain's Quarters and looting everything of value (specifically two e-pistols, a hand teleporter, and the Captain's spare ID card) was to attempt to sell them to the Traitor Antagonist on station at the time for fat stacks of ingame dosh. The Traitor at the time was the aforementioned Assistant that had procured the insulated gloves. Either that, or he was simply going to keep them as souvenirs of a bad day at work.

I personally believe that my character's decision to break into the Captain's Quarters from spacevoid in a hardsuit had developed organically IC, and I am sorry that I wasn't able to illustrate that to you through our discussion over adminhelps. Jake Stahl, my skin at the time, is a criminal. He is a crook. He has contacts to the Tau Ceti black market, and has a criminal past, so I thought some illicit action would be justified.

All that being said, my personal perspective on self antagging is this: If you are committing actions that fall into the Redlisted area in the Corporate Law handbook, or your combined infractions are amounting to a permabrig sentence, then it is probably self antagging and you shouldn't do it without some sort of OOC approval (such as by speaking with an Admin over ahelps) or if you are in an Antagonist role, in which case you have more freedom in your actions.

Having a criminal backround is fine, even using that as an excuse to commit a SMALL crime every now and again is also fine. Using it as an excuse to break into one of the most secure places on the station and commit grand theft is NOT fine. you would be terminated from employment because of this and sent to prison because of that. do you understand why we limit this kind of thing to our antags? If everyone on the server is looking for opportunity to horribly breach corporate regulations and do stuff like this then we cant really call ourselves a high-rp server.

I get what you're saying. My character isn't really looking for excuses to break into the brig (Edit: whoops I meant to say Captain's Quarters, but yes, the Brig as well) on a shiftly basis though. He frequently does it while acting as an antagonist (done it once as a Cultist and once as a Revolutionary, broke into the Brig once as an Operative) or if the circumstances are extreme, like a massive bomb detonating in the departures area and the command pods are the only escape pods left.

That being said, the Captain's Quarters isn't all that secure. If you have access to a voidsuit and outer space, you can break in easily enough. The combination is: screwdriver, crowbar, screwdriver, rotate window 90 degrees, wirecutters, screwdriver, crowbar, screwdriver, rotate window 90 degrees, bing, bang, boom, you're in.

the mechanics and ease of getting in are irrelevant here. its straight up against the rules for a non-antag barring SEVERE extenuating circumstances. You are free to do it whenever you are an antag. You may feel justified doing this as a non-antag but the bottom line is its straight up against server rules, no debate is going to solve that.

Im fine with lifting your ban so long as this sort of thing isnt repeated. at the very least if you ever think you might have IC justification to do something you should ahelp about it and ask. there have been times we have let things slide as long as people ask permission.