Repairing a hull breach, and construction questions

Nanako

Question

Apologies if these seem a bit newbish, i've not done much construction, still getting the hang of it

I was called to repair a hull breach today as an engineer, and the process took a lot longer than expected, i'm not even sure i did it correctly

The first major thing that comes to mind, is mistakes. How do you fix them? For example, i accidentally built a wall when i meant to make a reinforced wall. I couldn't figure out how to go back a step, or tear it down and start over. The wrench doesn't seem to deconstruct them. How do you deal with building something in the wrong place by accident?

The second thing is grilles, i hate these things. When i need them gone, i usually smash them with a crowbar, but that does still leave behind a broken grill, and i can't figure out how to pick that up, or move it out of the way

Then there's windows. Most windows on the station use a setup that seems odd to me, a grill in the middle, surrounded on all sides by single-pane reinforced windows. At least, where it connects to something other than more window. How do you actually create this setup? And how do you deal with one of the panes getting broken and needing repaired.

The thing i think i messed up, the middle of three windows was smashed out, and i repaired it with a metal wall. possible problem is, the sides of the window tiles facing the wall had no panes on them. Does that compromise hull integrity? I had no idea how to re-add those panes

4 answers to this question

Cut the grille, step into the hole, create a window with a sheet of glass, create a grille with rods, step out of the hole, rotate the glass to cover the gap and then screw/crowbar it into place.

You can also click on the grille while holding reinforced glass to place the window that way as well.

-Welder will remove the plating on a normal wall; reducing it back to girders, a wrench will then remove that.

-Reinforced walls require a whole toolbox, baring a multitool, to dismantle.

-Grilles can be removed instantly and entirely with wirecutters.

-To put a window on a grille, click on a grille from an adjacent tile with a sheet of glass or reinforced glass. Then screwdriver the window into place. You will always place a window on the side of the grille facing you.

-If you can't get to the far side to place the other window, you can crowbar, then screwdriver a placed window then rotate it with an action in the right-click toolbar, then attach it to the other side with screwdriver, crowbar, screwdriver.

-Hull integrity, provided there is a solid barrier between space and the inside, it is secure. It doesn't matter if the window is on the inner side of the tile, or the outer side of the tile.

........XX.................XX

........|.........or.........|........Provided that there is a straight line between the outside and the inside. Grilles on their own, and wall girders, do not block air

Out....|...In........Out...|....In.....movement; neither do fully unscrewed windows.