Hartburry's Skrell Application

BYOND Key:Hartburry

Character Names:Eddie Clark, Kitty Durant, Hakra Drat, Norman Hutchberry, sometimes Jace Kifer

How long have you been playing on Aurora: Since June

Species you are applying to play: Skrell

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Diona exempt):Yellow

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?:Yeah

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

Having gotten a Tajara white-list I got my first taste of playing an alien race, it was more difficult that I thought it would be. Having all new rules there were many times where I had to rethink how I play the game. With the Skrell white-list it will help me evolve my playstyle and allow me to furthur progress as a roleplayer.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

The Skrell are the old guard of space travel. They have been exploring space while humanity was still in it's metaphorical diapers. Your average Skrell oftentimes has more opportunities to succeed than your average human or Tajara because the race had already truly established itself in space. It's is also important that you remember the language barrier that the Skrell experience, despite what I think many players think Skrell have emotions, they just are unable of conveying their emotions through the speech they encounter on a space station. Therefore the actions you take have an even larger role in conveying what your character wants/desires more than a human.

Why does this species in particular hold your interest?

They just seem cool, their understanding of life is much larger than any other alien species. Also the language barrier really makes me happy.

Character Name:Dere Sular

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

Well educated and well raised Dere had a lot of things going for him. He was born on Jargon IV and received high education in medicine. It was there that Dere developed a love for biology and how organisms work. He became a skilled surgeon and also learned a bit about genetics and xenobiology. With his knowledge and his financial backing Dere headed off to the inner colonies where he wanted to learn more about the species that he found most fascinating... Humans.

However while traveling the inner colonies Dere was scammed and proceeded to lose most of his money, broke on the street Dere proceeded to earn money as a freelance surgeon. Working for those who could not afford the proper surgery Dere operated on a multitude of people with varying success, however he developed quite a name for himself, word spread of the Skrell surgeon who worked for cheap with cheap tools for cheap people. After a couple years of doing this Dere was visited by Nanotrasen officials who gave him two choices, be turned over to the police for his illegal work or be shipped out to Nanotrasen's state of the art space station the NSS Aurora where he would work as a surgeon in the station's medical sector. Dere chose the latter.

What do you like about this character?

I think I like the idea of playing this character, for one he will be played as extremely cocky and I think I might make him a bit of a specist because of his experience with humans in the slums. The cockiness will be fun to play because of the fact that humans can't recognize a Skrell's tone of voice, this also ties in with him being a specist.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

0/10 I suck, jokes aside I don't like to rate myself

Notes: If anyone would be willing I wouldn't mind a concrete example of a Skrell slurring. The Skrell wiki is kinda written vaguely and I couldn't get any clear examples. The same goes for the name, I think that it is an appropriate Skrell name but if not I can easily change it.

I'll address those two points:

In regards to your first point, I am pretty sure that I address that with the Skrell beginning space travel while humanity was in it's metaphorical diapers. This is rather true, the amount of progress Humanity has made since 2016 is remarkable which is why I used that metaphor.

In regards to your second point, I was thinking more that it was impressive that he was able to preform surgery using those tools which is why Nanotrasen had interest in hiring him. I guess that is fairly Mary Sueish but I dunno, my character will definitely have his faults.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...