[Accepted] TheMaskedMan2 - IPC Application

BYOND Key: TheMaskedMan2

Character Names:

Susanne Sai (Civilian and Service Roles)

Ka'Akaix'Pikt K'lax (Station Engineer)

Za'Akaix'Vii K'lax (Security Officer)

I also play as Cyborgs/AI common-ish but I don't keep a consistent name with them.

Species you are applying to play: IPC

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): Exempt

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes, of course I have. It's pretty interesting.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: Well, first of all, I have always found artificial intelligence rather fascinating, and I am rather curious and intrigued by what I can be capable of achieving with a unique personality such as this. I'm interested in the different types of interactions and behaviors a Synthetic Intelligence would be capable of that makes it different than the usual interaction.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: Well, need I mention that they don't require food or air? Let's go through the list.

Hunger = Power: IPC's require electricity instead of food, which they may retrieve from the classic charging station, or by interfacing with an APC.

Oxygen and Pressure = IPC's are unaffected by atmospheric hazards, unless it is a vacuum. Which they are vulnerable to, as well as heat. This requires them to take a suit cooling module with them instead of oxygen internals.

No Pain = Synthethics quite simply, don't feel pain. This means combat situations that aren't directly debilitating, will not affect an IPC, they don't have to worry about taking painkillers or other such things.

Chemicals and Medical = Quite simply, chemicals don't affect IPCs at all, unless it is damaging, such as acid. Furthermore medical treatment is entirely different for an IPC, requiring cables for burn damage, welders for brute damage, and help from robotics for severe damage.

As for what would make roleplaying different for an IPC? Quite simply it depends on the model and the characters specific history. An IPC may not be designed with a very strong positronic brain, and may be a simple worker. On the other hand, the IPC could be an extremely expensive Shell chassis with a highly developed positronic brain that makes it all but indistinguishable from humans. In conclusion, RP will vary, depending.

Character Name: Psi

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs Psi is the 23rd model in a line of IPCs with a focus on human interaction and social ability. Psi was also the 23rd failure and was subsequently dumped. The machine afterwards had to pawn off it's services to whoever would pay. The error within Psi's positronic brain would be the mismatching of emotions, and a faulty processor resulting in it's body language routines essentially being virtually non-existent. This unfortunate outcome results in an IPC, that while functional and efficient in it's actions, tends to invoke responses of it being "Disconcerting" or "Strange" from it's coworkers. It would not be uncommon for them to occasionally "lapse" and respond emotionally to a negative event in a positive manner, or vice versa.

Fortunately, while this error in expressing itself may come off as strange, it has no bearing on the actions it would take in a scenario, and merely alters the expressive actions it takes to "Socialize" with others in it's situation. NanoTrasen in particular took an interest in the IPC for it's complex positronic brain for a cheap price, downsides being unimportant if it doesn't tamper with efficiency. After some brief servitude in other NanoTrasen installations, they eventually find themselves being shipped to the Aurora.

What do you like about this character? When making this character, I thought back to how other IPC's i've interacted with in game are usually within one of two groups. The "Completely Emotionless Machine", and the "Pretty much as realistic as a human." So I figured I might try something new and go for something inbetween. The general idea here is that PSI is a baseline IPC that was declared a failure for it's quirks, and that NanoTrasen bought it for it's efficiency and knowledge, the mega corporation not really caring about some quirks if it doesn't effect how well it does it's job. Psi is also a fairly self-aware and is not by any means a "Simple IPC". It is rather aware of it's supposed downsides, though it has trouble understanding what it is doing wrong, and I plan on using this as hopefully a long term goal for character development. Thinking about slowly improving themselves over time.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? I'm going to generally repeat what I have said on my previous application here. I believe in my roleplaying capabilities fairly well and I believe i've definitely gotten better over time. I believe I would put myself at a high 7-8. I believe when it comes to making a character feel genuine, I do well in that regard. More specifically, I have always been an improviser, I believe I adapt remarkably well on the fly, and I like to remain reactionary. I have never been one for long winded plans set in stone. I prefer instead to set a base or skeleton, and see how it evolves through the actions of those involved, developing the character further in that manner. I have always has a fascination for becoming someone or something different from myself, and putting my shoes into them.

Notes: Well thanks for taking the time to read my long winded rambles once again. I'm fairly proud of this application and I do hope you enjoyed it. I will remain around to answer any questions or critiques you may have on it. I expect my backstory to be the weakest part as i'm much stronger in action improvising over writing a story, but I hope you can send me any parts you have particular problems with and I can address them! Thank you for your time!

+1

This guy, I don't know fucking how, but I run in to his characters nearly every time. I'll run in to Pikt, Vii, or borg. I've yet to meet Sai though. But from what I've seen and roleplayed, this guy is a fucking legend. He sticks to the lore, he isn't afraid to talk about it, and when he talks about it, he talks with confidence. I'm against him becoming a IPC purely because that means less interactions with his Vaurca characters. But jokes aside, this fucker is a good guy. +Support.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Hello! I'm sorry for the delay in your application.

You have positive feedback and you have a good grasp of IPC lore. I also like your character's refreshing theme of being in the uncanny valley in their emotions rather than the two tropes you described.

Application accepted!