Jackboot Mod Application

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Basic Information

Byond Account:

Jackboot

Character Name(s):

Houssam Jawdat, Greg Ryan, Constantine Augustus, Buthaynah Jawdat, Sirasairot Uaekis, Yasif Gafar, Akela Fathiyya

AI Name(s):

Urpal2.0/Mobile

Preferred means of contact:

Skype; Steam; Oracle of Delphi

Timezone:

(UTC-07:00)

When are you on Aurora?:

Now that classes have started up again, I have less time than previously. Expect me on in the evenings during weekdays, and anytime after noon-late nights on weekends.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?:

Almost a year, now.

How long have you played on Aurora:

I'm so bad with recording timekeeping. I think since July of 2014; about 6 months.

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?:

I've gotten a bit knowledgable, and have dabbled in mapping - though my skills are extremely rusty. I'm going to say that outside the rare or niche mechanics not widely used, I've got things down pat.

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?:

I was gamemaster on a small (9 player peak) server that no longer exists. As well as this, I have been event-host on Aurora twice - while it did not include moderation per-say, it familiarized me a bit with the button and command locations again.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?:

As far as I remember, I have only been whitelist stripped from command once on Aurora, when I was discovering new game mechanics and going about using them in a very light-RP kind of way as CE, as well as making poor judgement calls in regards to SoP and the like.

Personality

Why do you play SS13?:

It's fun! I like the 2D spessmen, and enjoy the depth and complexity of the game juxtapositioned against either the insanity of hippie or the srs of heavy/medium RP servers. And growing outside the random laughs and low brow humour, I've discovered that you can actually tell pretty cool stories with SS13 as the medium.

Why do you play on Aurora?:

It's the best high RP server on the Hub, in my opinion. The staff are great, and the community is good. We have a good core of great RP'ers, and I enjoy the stories that arise from tossing in my characters with those of others and seeing how it all meshes in the roleplaying. All my memorable events and fun events have been on Aurora, and I play it almost exclusively nowadays.

What do moderators do?:

Moderators are the Legionnaires at Admin disposal; they serve the administration and server by handling ahelps and player issues, and ensuring that the game is proceeding in a fair and fun way for players.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?:

Aurora is a High-RP server, and that means a moderator's job is to ensure that roleplay is followed and maintained during the round. Along with this, moderators deal with ahelps and answer questions about game mechanics when asked by confused or new players, and dealing with troublemakers or griefers.

Why do you want to be a moderator?:

I've been playing Aurora for quite some time now, and have joined the development team as a lore writer. I want to invest further into Aurora's success, and decided to try an application to be a moderator so I can achieve this goal, if accepted.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?:

I'm eager to learn from my mistakes, and enjoy helping people with issues or learn how to play the game or RP. I feel that being a humanist is a good point here; it's an ongoing campaign of mine strive to solve problems in a rational way, and see the goodness and potential in all human beings, giving my full consideration and withholding non-rational judgement on a person's character.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?:

My philosophy is to have as little affect me emotionally as I can; I have practice controlling my emotion or stress, and rarely let it impact my judgement or decision making. Of course, being a human being without formal training in stress management, I can grow terse in my response if something has ticked me off in it - though this tends to manifest itself in terse, formal responses. As for insults, i've handled barbs thrown at me for quite a long time, and can shrug them off - I have yet to meet an SS13 player that has matched the vitriol of individuals and groups I handle IRL.

Anything Else You Want to Add:

I admit that I've made mistakes - the depth and complexity of SS13 mechanics coupled with Aurora being one of my first heavy-RP servers after a brief fling on Exogenesis meant that I had a bumpy ride of learning what x, y, and z all do coupled with the high expectations placed on players. Through my experience and observing the experiences of others, I feel that I've grown with enough knowledge and experience to better both my Aurora experience and that of other players from a moderation standpoint, and not just from a lore developer standpoint.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll speak my mind on this.

Yes and no. Yes, in the sense that you appear to be someone who can disassociate themselves, and are potentially capable of doing a good job at being a moderator (that is, looking at issues objectively, placing yourself in someone else's shoes, so on).

However. And here's the "but." Not only are your actions and your conduct are abrasive, a lot of the time, needlessly so. When you consider that the job of a moderator goes right against such conduct, meaning, you will often find yourself in a situation where you need to deescalate an issue, instead of escalating it, I fear you may fall short.

I have been told that you were informed of this by another member of staff, if not two (I do believe Valkrae talked to you about it. If not, ring me up, I'll talk). So, under the condition that you review and conduct based on the issues that they have raised, I do believe you'll have better luck next cycle. Basically: I see potential, but there are just a few issues that need to be swiped away before running through the gates again.