TheCritsyBear's Moderator Application

Basic Information

Byond Account:

TheCritsyBear

Character Name(s):

Android (Andy), Android (Generic Android), Christopher Ursieu, Snake Samurai, Nibbles, Nibbles II.

AI Name(s):

Andy, Android (Also Andy.)

Preferred means of contact:

In order of preference; Skype, Steam, BYOND, Teamspeak, Private Messages, E-Mail, Phone Calls, Text Messages, Paper Mail, Letters Attached to Horse Heads in my Bed, and lastly, Actual, Physical Speaking.

Timezone:

UTC-05:00 (EST)

When are you on Aurora?:

This is most likely a negative point, but it's difficult to predict. Lately my schedule has been a little strange, but previously I was on every night from 1 AM to 7 AM.

Experience

How long have you played SS13?:

6 years. Not to imply that I was playing it constantly during that time.

How long have you played on Aurora:

July of last year? I'm not totally sure, to be honest. I used to know.

How much do you know about SS13 (Baystation build) game mechanics?:

I am a devoted data-miner and a master wiki-enthusiast. I know anything that is needed to know in any practical sense, and even some non-practical knowledge to add some spice to it.

Do you have any experience moderating for an SS13 server?:

No, but I'll write more about that later.

Have you ever been banned, and if so, how long and why?:

I was banned, once, when I was new. I started ranting about how the roleplaying server I was playing on was covered in poop and buttbots (Thank god for Baystation.) and I couldn't escape the *farts anywhere.

I was also banned because an admin on a different roleplaying server started playing really loud music, covered the shuttle with a flashing gif of a bagel, and blew up the station. I said "What the hell was that?" and was subsiquently banned for "Fag."

Personality

Why do you play SS13?:

The roleplaying. Plain and simple.

Why do you play on Aurora?:

The roleplaying. Additionally, I've made some friends here. The community and quality is the best I've found so far.

What do moderators do?:

When someone is butthurt, or genuinely confused, they make an ahelp. There are so many ahelps that admins can't get to them all. When something breaks, there isn't always an admin there to fix it. When someone is being naughty, an admin isn't always online or immediately there to help. That is where the moderators are used, and what their duties entail. Trusted enough to fill in for an admin when none is there, but not enough to provide with the tools of their superiors.

What does it mean to be a moderator for our server?:

To sustain a fun atmosphere, ensure roleplaying integrity, and to bring justice to those who would besmirch the rules.

Why do you want to be a moderator?:

What can I say? There are a lot of bad things that happen when I'm on but an admin isn't, and the only reason is a lack of staff to cover that timespan. Additionally... I'm a sucker for events and helping people out.

What qualities do you possess that would make you a good moderator?:

An IQ ~150. A kind, but logical approach to helping people. Full knowledge of the rules, as well as common sense to fill in when there are none to cover something. Experience maintaining control over ~30 people at once and ensuring the fun times of all.

How well do you handle stress, anger, or insults?:

While I don't become stressed or anger very often, I often respond to insults quite defensively, in that I attempt to calmly rebut the claim. Never rage, however. When I become stressed, I normally just take a minute to do something else. When I become angry, my fury usually rears its head as a higher propensity to use big words.

Anything Else You Want to Add:

While SS13 has never been a venue wherein I have moderated, I do have experience being in a position of power in many other places. If desired, I will list them, but it would take up unnecessary space if nobody requested it. While I don't know any of the commands for SS13 per se, I am very good at learning on my own, and can learn quite quickly. So, it shouldn't be a problem.

I'd be interesting in knowing where else you've moderated.

I only ask out of curiosity and also cause I have experience moderating outside of ss13 too.

Well, the first place I was ever in a position of moderation was as an admin for a Minecraft server. Very little correlation between this and roleplaying, but there was a lot more griff and a lot more angry kids. I was a Game Master in a World of Warcraft Pure-RP Private Server, but as I recall, the roleplaying quality was truly, utterly horrible. I was a moderator for a roleplaying clan, who brought their RP to many different venues, such as NWN, Warcraft 3, ect. Anywhere where RP was possible.

(Edit:) I forgot at least one. I was a moderator for a HL2RP server on Gmod. Very taxing as it's a pretty strict setting, and everyone either wanted to be a Superhero Maverick or Robo-Cop but with a penis that likes to follow anyone of the opposite gender.

I've personally run a Neverwinter Nights server as a Dungeon Master, for a few months, as well as my own private server on WoW.

Currently I am yet again a Game Master for a WoW server, but it's not very demanding as it's a Hamachi server that's only on occasionally.

I know, these aren't very impressive when I've written them all down, but they all involve at least a few roleplayers and people who don't get along with anyone else ever.

I am curious. Since this is a hot button topic, what would you perceive as the balance between a fun environment and a roleplay environment? Hopefully I expressed the question well enough. Feel free to lock it down with examples, as needed.

Perhaps I am not the best person to ask that question, because to me, they are the same things. I'm afraid I can't really form a bias either way, as in my opinion, to neglect fun is to neglect roleplay, and to neglect roleplay is to neglect fun. I come to the server to RP in a fun game, not just to RP, and certainly not just to play a fun game. To me, the game wouldn't be fun if there wasn't any roleplaying, and there wouldn't be any roleplaying if there wasn't any fun.

• 1 month later...