Travis Davis Security reports

the_furry

OOC: So I want peoples opinions on my security reports for the game. I’ve never done a report and could not find any references on how to do them so I took the critical incident template and tweaked it. I tried to make the punishments realistic and to that I do want to explain two things (because I’m sure someone is going to say something about it). The two major events involving grand theft, the first one is noted there that it is purely circumstantial evidence against Travis. He has contributed a lot to NT and so they do not want to outright fire him on purely circumstantial evidence but they do want to rule out any safety issues so I thought tracking implants was fair. Also would be fun considering any HOS on shift at that time can demand it randomly. Figured any officers that hate Travis could have fun with that. The second major incident Travis was found to be vital and saving the lives of a few people and thus was acquitted of the charges. The reports doesn’t go into in-depth detail because I thought that these reports where more of a summary as the full report would be held in centcom (that and for max character reasons).

*edit 1/24/2015*

Nanotrasen Security Report

Active Posting: Telescience

Date of Incident: 15112456

Employee: Travis Davis

Charge: Grand theft, damage to NT equipment

Summary

Using Telescience Travis Davis stole security items including body armor, emp grenades and stun batons then attempted to use them to disable a security droid. He states he did this due to an ongoing emergency and the droid was accidentally made rouge. He states the droid posed a danger to the crew and needed to be destroyed. ERT responded and disabled the droid. Camera feeds did show the droid harming several crew members.

Sentence: absolved due to extenuating circumstances.

Date of Incident: 17102456

Charges: Grand Theft

Summary

Travis Davis is a suspect of an ongoing investigation of grand theft concerning the disappearance of secure items held within the vault. The details of the thefts are classified however it is known that Travis was working in Telescience at the time and teleporters were involved in the theft. However camera footage shows that the teleporter in the telescience lab and Travis appears to not have been involved. Considering his previous suspensions Travis is allowed to work with the agreement that he receives tracking implants and random searches if the current HOS deems it necessary during any shift. Failure to comply will result in immediate suspension until the investigation on Travis clears him of any charges.

Sentence: Tracking implants decided upon by the current HOS.

Date of Incident: 01102456

Charge: minor theft neglect of duty

Summary

Travis Davis using Telescience had taken a security circuit board from tech storage and built a security computer in the Telescience lab without the authorization from a head

Sentence: doc in pay

Date of Incident: 23092456

Charge: Trust Passing

Summary

Using the telepad and the assistance of a droid, Travis accessed tech storage without permission from a head. His stated reason was that he was improving the map of the station. He states we will gain permission from a head from now on.

Sentence: Temporary suspension and doc in pay.

Edited by Guest

This is my biggest concern with your records: Why would a company hire a person to run an experimental teleporter, something that can supposedly take almost anything that isn't bolted to the ground, with a long history of "tresspassing" and "grand theft"? That is a huge liability concern for NanoTrasen, that someone who committed 2x Grand Larceny, a rather major felony, to work in a company which could take company property due to history. A lot of employers looks down on workers who have repeated crimes, especially ones involving robbing.

That is a problem I notice with a lot of security records, actually, that there are major felons as big as the days are long and yet people still work in the company. What makes your character more valuable than someone who has a smaller and more cleaner record? Why would the company hire your character to be a figurehead when you have in your history that you beaten up and robbed grandmum of her slot machine money? What has your character done in order to atone for crimes? These are the things people should consider when writing a security report.

This is my biggest concern with your records: Why would a company hire a person to run an experimental teleporter, something that can supposedly take almost anything that isn't bolted to the ground, with a long history of "tresspassing" and "grand theft"? That is a huge liability concern for NanoTrasen, that someone who committed 2x Grand Larceny, a rather major felony, to work in a company which could take company property due to history. A lot of employers looks down on workers who have repeated crimes, especially ones involving robbing.

That is a problem I notice with a lot of security records, actually, that there are major felons as big as the days are long and yet people still work in the company. What makes your character more valuable than someone who has a smaller and more cleaner record? Why would the company hire your character to be a figurehead when you have in your history that you beaten up and robbed grandmum of her slot machine money? What has your character done in order to atone for crimes? These are the things people should consider when writing a security report.

heh I knew this would be an issue, one thing I do want to point out. These reports are all during my time on the station. before hand travis had a clean record. granted I agree with you, the only thing that has kept him from bring fired is both circumstances are unique, the first was he saved people doing it because security disabled at the time and It was later it would be recognized that he acted correctly. it would still be a report because security did get involved. the second he did not actually commit the crime(as far as anyone can tell), its a report as a warning because of a crime that was committed

heh I knew this would be an issue, one thing I do want to point out. These reports are all during my time on the station. before hand travis had a clean record. granted I agree with you, the only thing that has kept him from bring fired is both circumstances are unique, the first was he saved people doing it because security disabled at the time and It was later it would be recognized that he acted correctly. it would still be a report because security did get involved. the second he did not actually commit the crime(as far as anyone can tell), its a report as a warning because of a crime that was committed

I would still totally fire you if you tried working in Science Department if I was a head while you were on.

The reasons being that still, you abused expensive testing equipment for things that were not only illegal, but utterly petty.

If anything, this shows to the company that you cannot follow directions and are a troublemaker. If you accumulated three major crimes on your security history working there, I'm sorry but you would had been chucked out the door long ago.

The details of the thefts are classified however it is known that Travis was working in Telescience at the time and teleporters were involved in the theft.

This screams guilty. So much guilty that it's not even funny. Do you really think that swiping your ID on an airlock to open it (especially in a SECURE area which is, by the way, all of the Science department) would not create a log? If anything, that's the first thing NT would check in the investigation to see what time you entered and left. They figure out who was in it at the time it occurred, and hey-o! Look who's out of a job! Immediate charge of grand theft, and NT could even brand you a terrorist because you were stealing items from a room that had a nuclear weapon. Travis Davis wouldn't survive a single day in a max security prison.

Before you say "there was other people in the room", NT would hold them guilty as well for being accomplices.

I know you already have this on your character's security records and I say you should scrub it immediately because Travis would not hold a job after that. Don't even try to bring up "he's helped people with it before!" or "he's really good at his job!" because you were stealing from a vault. Now, as a finishing note, do not keep things that would get you fired as canon.

The details of the thefts are classified however it is known that Travis was working in Telescience at the time and teleporters were involved in the theft.

This screams guilty. So much guilty that it's not even funny. Do you really think that swiping your ID on an airlock to open it (especially in a SECURE area which is, by the way, all of the Science department) would not create a log? If anything, that's the first thing NT would check in the investigation to see what time you entered and left. They figure out who was in it at the time it occurred, and hey-o! Look who's out of a job! Immediate charge of grand theft, and NT could even brand you a terrorist because you were stealing items from a room that had a nuclear weapon. Travis Davis wouldn't survive a single day in a max security prison.

Before you say "there was other people in the room", NT would hold them guilty as well for being accomplices.

I know you already have this on your character's security records and I say you should scrub it immediately because Travis would not hold a job after that. Don't even try to bring up "he's helped people with it before!" or "he's really good at his job!" because you were stealing from a vault. Now, as a finishing note, do not keep things that would get you fired as canon.

then I need to make this more clear because I was intending that someone stole shit from the vault. Travis was in telescience but the cameras (which I assumed is always being recorded) has him doing nothing wrong just working. The items that where removed was removed by teleporter but it does not appear to be from the teleporter in the telescience lab that Travis was using. Thus it would be purely suspect and coincidence. however because of his prior crimes he would be considered a suspect (even though it appears he be completely innocent) so they agree to allow him to keep working.

"Your honor, due to extenuating circumstances the prosecution has decided not to pursue the death penalty in the case of Everyone vs. Travis Davis." :P

I like that you're trying to take responsibility for the various things you've had Travis Davis do, but I'm not sure this is the best way... you know, unless you plan on joining the crew as a janitor from now on. If I were you I'd accept the non-cannonness of your character's past crimes and strive to do better in the future. We all fuck up and do stupid shit from time to time, what matters is getting better about it.

Mmm, Furry, small little problem. Karima was found innocent on that incident. Her record is basically clean. Her lawyer spun the story that whatever she confessed was illegitimate, as those confessions were a result of unofficial interrogation, manipulation, fear tactics, threat of physical injury, and bullying. She heavily played her "I'm a Tajara abused by the system, have pity on me" card.

They then fabricated an elaborate alibi. Her prints were on the androids because she works as a roboticist. The android that went berserk was terminated, and no evidence could be lifted. The most she got was a very, VERY stern warning that if evidence pops up against her in the future, she's out the door. But Karima is in all essence, one very lucky Tajara.

She was also taken aside and told to never speak of this. Which is why she is terribly skittish and clams up when someone asks her anything related to it.

heh sorry neb I will correct that part.

What I don’t get is why everyone is saying Travis would be receiving the death penalty or out the door and in jail. This security report has him committing two minor crimes that can boil down to failed to follow proper procedure. He did not ask for permission to be in tech storage nor for permission to build a computer. Of all crimes that there is to commit on this station, being in advance tech storage without permission has got to be one of the lowest security risk crimes you can commit (all he had to do was ask the engineer, the roboticist, the captain, the hop, the RD or the CE). Really so many people have access to this you can hardly call it trespassing. Now most companies I know do not send you out the door and fire you for a first time offence to a minor crime like this. Most companies do not want to spend half a million training an individual just to look for a dumb reason to fire him. Now I can easily see that Travis is on his last leg because it is clear he does not follow directions very well, but to outright fire him for such minor crimes is a huge waste of company resources(even if you try to argue scientists are a dime a dozen the training for them would still be expensive).

The other two major crimes are more of a note on his record rather than an admission of guilt. Security reports aren’t just for crimes that the character commits (at least from what I understood). Any time a character bears witness to a crime that would go under their security report even if they were simply a witness and not the criminal (which is the intention I had for the other two major crimes).

What I don’t get is why everyone is saying Travis would be receiving the death penalty or out the door and in jail. This security report has him committing two minor crimes that can boil down to failed to follow proper procedure. He did not ask for permission to be in tech storage nor for permission to build a computer. Of all crimes that there is to commit on this station, being in advance tech storage without permission has got to be one of the lowest security risk crimes you can commit (all he had to do was ask the engineer, the roboticist, the captain, the hop, the RD or the CE). Really so many people have access to this you can hardly call it trespassing. Now most companies I know do not send you out the door and fire you for a first time offence to a minor crime like this. Most companies do not want to spend half a million training an individual just to look for a dumb reason to fire him. Now I can easily see that Travis is on his last leg because it is clear he does not follow directions very well, but to outright fire him for such minor crimes is a huge waste of company resources(even if you try to argue scientists are a dime a dozen the training for them would still be expensive).

The other two major crimes are more of a note on his record rather than an admission of guilt. Security reports aren’t just for crimes that the character commits (at least from what I understood). Any time a character bears witness to a crime that would go under their security report even if they were simply a witness and not the criminal (which is the intention I had for the other two major crimes).

You stole shit with the Telepad.

Circumstance doesn't matter. You stole equipment from security, who are actually trained to use the equipment, using expensive company testing equipment. End of story.

Circumstance doesn't matter. You stole equipment from security, who are actually trained to use the equipment, using expensive company testing equipment. End of story.

well thats bull and unreasonable. If i'm next to a cop and the cop gets shot, and I pick up the cops gun and shoot the guy that shot the cop. I'm not gona be arrested for murdering someone and theft of police equipment. any charges will be dropped because I saved the cops life. so yes circumstances matter, alot. which is what happened in the last case of grand theft, the first one travis was not involved it's more of a note because of his prior history and the fact that if he makes one more mistake he'll be out the door.

No no no, the death sentence thing was a joke. Laugh, goddamn you. LAUGH OR IT'S THE AIRLOCK FOR YOU!

But they are right those are pretty fireable offenses. You're also right that competent telescientists are a valuable commodity, however. So perhaps the company sent him to some manner of rehabilitation program and gave him another chance...

No no no, the death sentence thing was a joke. Laugh, goddamn you. LAUGH OR IT'S THE AIRLOCK FOR YOU!

But they are right those are pretty fireable offenses. You're also right that competent telescientists are a valuable commodity, however. So perhaps the company sent him to some manner of rehabilitation program and gave him another chance...

heh sorry with everyone else giveing me the "he'll be fired" thing I didn't know it was a joke XD. what you just said is exactly my thought which is why he has two docs in pay and was suspended for a good time. He is on his last leg, one more crime and he will be fired (which was what I was intending). even being suspect in a crime (of which there's good evidence he was not involved with) is causing grief for him because he now has to undergo implants when ever an HOS wants.

being in advance tech storage without permission has got to be one of the lowest security risk crimes you can commit (all he had to do was ask the engineer, the roboticist, the captain, the hop, the RD or the CE). Really so many people have access to this you can hardly call it trespassing.

No. That's not how it works. Just because lots of people have access to it, does not in any way, shape or FORM tell you that it's okay to go in there unauthorized. If you think that's how corporate regulations work, then maybe we should make murder legal solely because everybody is capable of murder, right? Wrong.

Now most companies I know do not send you out the door and fire you for a first time offence to a minor crime like this. Most companies do not want to spend half a million training an individual just to look for a dumb reason to fire him.

Okay, lets take a look from Nanotrasen's view. Your telescientist on a station just used experimental equipment ranging at thousands upon thousands upon thousands of dollars. You'd think that's fine. He's using it for resear-- He did what? He used it to steal equipment from the company?! Yeah, no. He can no longer be trusted as a telescientist. I want him OUT of the science department, and shafted into another department of his qualifications.

They wouldn't care about what they spent on you. To keep an untrustworthy individual working as a telescientist is to risk losing even more money and resources. They have 0 reason to keep you in that job, and will be presented with one of two options: Firing you outright or (Edit: ) keeping you working but on a lower priority facility or occupation on Aurora.

I realize this is petty, but the most important mistakes to me were...

accidentally made rouge

Rouge; a red powder or cream used as a cosmetic for coloring the cheeks or lips.

Rogue; a person or thing that behaves in an aberrant, faulty, or unpredictable way.

doc in pay

If the employee is salaried or exempt, there are still a few circumstances in which an employee absence or other event will allow you to dock pay.

well thats bull and unreasonable. If i'm next to a cop and the cop gets shot, and I pick up the cops gun and shoot the guy that shot the cop. I'm not gona be arrested for murdering someone and theft of police equipment. any charges will be dropped because I saved the cops life. so yes circumstances matter, alot. which is what happened in the last case of grand theft, the first one travis was not involved it's more of a note because of his prior history and the fact that if he makes one more mistake he'll be out the door.

Circumstance doesn't matter here. You didn't just pick up a weapon. You stole it from the armory using testing equipment that's supposed to be used for just that, testing. That's way beyond what you're supposed to do, and in fact, according to SoP, in the event of an emergency, you're supposed to keep your head down and wait for security and ERT to fix the problem. You are not go to steal their equipment and go Rambo.

Throwing my two pence into the ring after I had a chat with Furry on smaller of how Davis operates being a little meta/power gamey matters a week or so ago. So No Hate but here are some details from my perspective.

Point one. Davis comes in as a xenobiologist to quickly breed slimes for more crystals to extend the telescience pads range. When enough has been collected the lab is often left untidy, as he heads off to the telescience lab which has general access. While you may style him as a telescientist you do not join as a scientist meaning at all times you are at least neglecting one duty you have been assigned to do. Often if not always without consulting heads of staff. A janitor can hop the bar or kitchen counter and serve a meal and dish out booze better than any chef or bartender, and ignoring tresspass he is neglecting to scrub those floors. Which is what NT is paying him to do. So these charges listed above are most likely falling under this as well are they not? Meaning corporate would look at it and go "Why the fuck was he in there to begin with!?" Sure you are trained. But you are being paid to manage slimes.

Point two. Companies have insurance. They pay a lot of money to have it. A rumor of these charges and him being in the same room would have him barred from the lab until investigations were complete and several review boards went over it to ascertain his part, character and every other detail of his life before he was let back in, which would take months if not years, and if at any point he was found to be unreliable, unable to follow instructions or broke the regulations in the smallest way, they would be forced to fire him, non-optional otherwise the science wing or more likely the entire station would have to fund any damages to the station, and likely medical issues as well. Because having a known risk who takes guns and moves wounded people halfway across the station and does every task but the one he is paid to do, makes him uninsurable, if the RD lets him stay it makes the science wing uninsurable, if the captain does not fire the RD who lets him stay and Davis, the station is uninsurable. As such keeping Davis would mean staff would pay for cargo use, medical bills, fuel, food, power, meteor strikes and even ERT. Can't pay you don't get it. Even if it cost the company 6 billion to train a new guy from scratch it is cheaper than keeping Davis around.

The line circumstance matters, not hugely in this matter, Character matters, I am not meaning how you built him. I mean the mettle of the man. He wants to be a hero, at the flash point. And he wants to use that pad to do it. In stopping this droid could he have not ported into the RDs office and locked it down if there truly was no one else that could access it legally? On top of that why port in, he can construct a computer himself, why not get a control board from where he has lifted them before, or just remove the windows in the way. Because he needs to use the pad to do it. He needs to use experimental technology for tasks. On paper this looks like a man who would teleport a drinks machine into the lab so he would not have to walk so far for coffee before sticking it back, other people needing it or planing to use it at the time be damned.

And the biggest issue of this is self justification, Davis when confronted ICly about these smaller issues and from the way you have worded your replies in the bigger issues too. Sees no issue with his action, he may say he was wrong and handled it poorly and won't do it again, but the fact is you would not want to trust his word on that. The moment he says anything you believe anything but that. Because Davis skips steps and cuts corners. He doesn't communicate his actions and worries before acting. He will lie about small things like wearing safety gear, not ask about going into telescience just assume that having access and history gives him the right to use it, leaving the lab a mess, getting additional gear for this telescience work. Pulling wounded people out of hostile environments, not knowing the full details, pulling hostiles out into the sealed pad room to contain them, to arming himself with stolen gear. All the while watching your every sensor and every camera for a chance to do so. And Davis thinks that is okay. That is proper, and that not letting him do that is a bad thing.

No matter how good, how skilled, or how poor the evidence is on these bigger issues. Davis himself and the smaller issues would make you ask why we hired him, why haven't we fired him. If he got out of these issues. When Travis Davis Xenobiologist arrives on station. he would have a two officer armed escort to xenobiology, and they would sit in that airlock and if he left they would follow his every move and if he so much as touched the telescience door the would fill him full of volts and move him to the perma brig until the next shift if he ever came back. And if any of the grand theft charges stuck in any way shape or form, 10 years plus in a cell would be a real minimum.

Throwing my two pence into the ring after I had a chat with Furry on smaller of how Davis operates being a little meta/power gamey matters a week or so ago. So No Hate but here are some details from my perspective.

Point one. Davis comes in as a xenobiologist to quickly breed slimes for more crystals to extend the telescience pads range. When enough has been collected the lab is often left untidy, as he heads off to the telescience lab which has general access. While you may style him as a telescientist you do not join as a scientist meaning at all times you are at least neglecting one duty you have been assigned to do. Often if not always without consulting heads of staff. A janitor can hop the bar or kitchen counter and serve a meal and dish out booze better than any chef or bartender, and ignoring tresspass he is neglecting to scrub those floors. Which is what NT is paying him to do. So these charges listed above are most likely falling under this as well are they not? Meaning corporate would look at it and go "Why the fuck was he in there to begin with!?" Sure you are trained. But you are being paid to manage slimes.

Point two. Companies have insurance. They pay a lot of money to have it. A rumor of these charges and him being in the same room would have him barred from the lab until investigations were complete and several review boards went over it to ascertain his part, character and every other detail of his life before he was let back in, which would take months if not years, and if at any point he was found to be unreliable, unable to follow instructions or broke the regulations in the smallest way, they would be forced to fire him, non-optional otherwise the science wing or more likely the entire station would have to fund any damages to the station, and likely medical issues as well. Because having a known risk who takes guns and moves wounded people halfway across the station and does every task but the one he is paid to do, makes him uninsurable, if the RD lets him stay it makes the science wing uninsurable, if the captain does not fire the RD who lets him stay and Davis, the station is uninsurable. As such keeping Davis would mean staff would pay for cargo use, medical bills, fuel, food, power, meteor strikes and even ERT. Can't pay you don't get it. Even if it cost the company 6 billion to train a new guy from scratch it is cheaper than keeping Davis around.

The line circumstance matters, not hugely in this matter, Character matters, I am not meaning how you built him. I mean the mettle of the man. He wants to be a hero, at the flash point. And he wants to use that pad to do it. In stopping this droid could he have not ported into the RDs office and locked it down if there truly was no one else that could access it legally? On top of that why port in, he can construct a computer himself, why not get a control board from where he has lifted them before, or just remove the windows in the way. Because he needs to use the pad to do it. He needs to use experimental technology for tasks. On paper this looks like a man who would teleport a drinks machine into the lab so he would not have to walk so far for coffee before sticking it back, other people needing it or planing to use it at the time be damned.

And the biggest issue of this is self justification, Davis when confronted ICly about these smaller issues and from the way you have worded your replies in the bigger issues too. Sees no issue with his action, he may say he was wrong and handled it poorly and won't do it again, but the fact is you would not want to trust his word on that. The moment he says anything you believe anything but that. Because Davis skips steps and cuts corners. He doesn't communicate his actions and worries before acting. He will lie about small things like wearing safety gear, not ask about going into telescience just assume that having access and history gives him the right to use it, leaving the lab a mess, getting additional gear for this telescience work. Pulling wounded people out of hostile environments, not knowing the full details, pulling hostiles out into the sealed pad room to contain them, to arming himself with stolen gear. All the while watching your every sensor and every camera for a chance to do so. And Davis thinks that is okay. That is proper, and that not letting him do that is a bad thing.

No matter how good, how skilled, or how poor the evidence is on these bigger issues. Davis himself and the smaller issues would make you ask why we hired him, why haven't we fired him. If he got out of these issues. When Travis Davis Xenobiologist arrives on station. he would have a two officer armed escort to xenobiology, and they would sit in that airlock and if he left they would follow his every move and if he so much as touched the telescience door the would fill him full of volts and move him to the perma brig until the next shift if he ever came back. And if any of the grand theft charges stuck in any way shape or form, 10 years plus in a cell would be a real minimum.

phew chewed up, though I do appreciate the directness and clear explanation of the situation. when someone actually sits down and calmly explains using convincing arguments why I am wrong, I am well convinced. I may keep extremely minor crimes because I do like the idea of him being in a state of "one more violation your out the door". I also like the impression that he gives off that he means well but he does cut corners and because of that he will likely never be RD. other than that, I am incline to agree with you, scrap the security reports I shall try again :D