SierrAKomodo's Head Whitelist Application

BYOND key: SierraKomodo

Character names: Sairis Helosi, Ariana Eshlian, Ziva Mo'Taki, Kylan Lo'Rah, Katana Alpha/Bravo/Charlie/Delta, Rasine Ha'kim

How long have you been playing on Aurora?: A month and a half

Why do you wish to be on the whitelist?: I feel it's just a natural progression of one of my charater's careers with NanoTrasen, to become a Chief Engineer

Why did you come to Aurora?: I heard things about this server being very good for roleplaying from a friend.

Have you read the BS12 wiki on the head roles you plan on playing?: Yes

Please provide well articulated and argumented answers to the following questions in a paragraph each.

Give a definition of what you think roleplay is, and should be about: Roleplay is essentially creating stories of some form or another, with multiple people taking part in the creation/writing of these stories. In some cases, a player's contribution is just as a single character within the world. In other cases, the contribution is as multiple characters, or as some form of 'game master' who controls the entire world around the characters. Roleplay is about making these stories fun and interesting for everyone involved, whether they're an antagonist, protagonist, or someone that's just there.

What do you think the OOC purpose of a Head of Staff is, ingame?: The OOC purpose of a head of staff is to make sure the players are doing their jobs/roles correctly, and that things are setup properly to ensure the round is fun for everyone. For example, the Chief Engineer should be making sure the station will have power, the singularity doesn't escape, and atmos is functioning properly. Failing at any of these three (Barring antag actions) can prematurely end/ruin the round for everyone.

What do you think the OOC responsibilities of Whitelisted players are to other players, and how would you strive to uphold them?: A whitelisted head of staff should serve as an example of how to properly play a role/character aboard the station. That doesn't mean your character has to be a prim, proper, by the books stick in the mud, but the character should be competent and know what they're doing, whether they're an asshole to their subordinates or give out hugs to everyone on a routine basis.

Please pick one of your characters for this section, and provide well articulated responses to the following questions.

Character name: Sairis Helosi

Character age: 34

Please provide a short biography of this character (approx 2 paragraphs): Sairis was born on June 19, 2422, aboard a military station in the Sol system. She grew up with a pilot as a father, and a station engineer as a mother. Upon turnign 18 and completing her basic education, she began work aboard the station as a civilian janitor, sometimes working with her mother and picking up on various engineering tricks that helped with her janitorial duties. At the age of 23, in the year 2445, Sairis made a decision to move on from civilian duties, and officially enlist with the Navy. She spent three months in basic training, then an additional four years with the Naval Academy, studying mechanical engineering. She graduated from the Academy in the year 2450, at the age of 28, and began her Naval career as a shuttle engineer, working with pilot Mathias Arcole.

Three years of work aboard the shuttlecrafts, always working with the same pilot, the two had become close friends, then more, and had become engaged in 2453. A month later, however, their shuttle crash-landed during a NanoTrasen funded transport operation, and Mathias was killed in the resulting impact, unable to be cloned. Sairis was also severely wounded in the crash, and was medically discharged from the Navy following an extensive operation and recovery period. Approximately half a month following the crash, she was approached by a NanoTrasen representative with a job offer as a station engineer. She accepted the offer, but also requested janitorial or cargo duty be added to her roster. The contract was signed on August 15, 2453. A week later, she was assigned to the NCS Cyberiad as a cargo technician and station engineer, based on which positions were required for the shift. After two years of work aboard the station, she received a promotion to Quartermaster, and was placed in charge of the cargo division for many shifts in the next two years. As 2457 rolled around, a routine psych eval required for all personnel revealed high levels of stress due to events aboard the Cyberiad, and she was immediately transferred to the Aurora - A calmer, research based station - In the hopes of avoiding a mental breakdown.

A month and a half later, Sairis is working aboard the Aurora as a Station Engineer and Quartermaster, and has put in a request for promotion to Chief of the Engineering department.

What do you like about this character?: Sairis was my first character I ever started playing on Space Station 13, and is a direct clone of an original character I came up with many, many years ago for some science fiction story plotting stuff I did. She's hard working, loyal to those she considers friends, and despite her occasional attitude and sometimes unfriendly demeanor, she means well and does what she can to help others - Although sometimes someone pushes her too far and gets smacked.

What do you dislike about this character?: I do sometimes feel like she gets a bit bland; There could probably be some more work put into her personality and such, but that kind of thing only really develops as I play the character. Ziva's still my favorite character on the Aurora, but I do like Sairis.

Do you think this character is fit to be a Head of Staff?: Yes.

Why?: I think she's come a long way from being the QuarterBitch on another server, to a quartermaster/engineer on the Aurora that is much less aggressive, knows more about the engineering job, and actually cares about the safety of her fellow crew. She does have experience with 'heading' a department as a cargo quartermaster, even if 90% of the time she doesn't have any cargo technicians and has to do those tasks herself.

Please provide well articulated and argumented answers to the following questions.

How would you rate your own roleplaying?: I keep having to answer this question! It's certainly seeming to be better than where I thought it was when I posted that Tajarran app a while back. People love (and hate, oddly enough. I thought Ziva was adorable to everyone!) Ziva and Katana, and I don't think I've ever had a complaint about my roleplaying ability as a character or an antag.

Extra notes: Someone wanted me to make Ziva a chief engineer. Can you imagine that? Chief Engineer Ziva? That would end horribly.

She's threatened to burn the skin off of other members of the crew. Not sure if that's Chief Engineer material.

That was on one occasion! Literally once, and she didn't plan on actually doing it. Nasir's actually attacked people and he's a chief engineer :P (I also might have forgotten that was Sairis I was playing, not Ziva at the time)