Nanda's IPC Whitelist Application

Nandabun:

Character Names: Aquila, Nanda Star, Nanda Vezina, Harle Shine, Alexia West, Asterisk Grey, Airaine Small, Deturah Pacer.

How long have you been playing on Aurora: Roughly three months.

Species you are applying to play: IPC.

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): N/A

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: What little there was, as well as Baystation's page on the subject.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race: Aquila has been a cyborg character of mine for quite a long time, across a few servers. Throughout this time, Aquila has, through roleplay and game round events, developed her own unique personality and set of friends, leading to the in-game roleplay if her purchasing her AI, with the help of said friends. Before IPC as a possibility was brought to my attention, Aquila the Cyborg would leave each round on the shuttle, going home to her apartment where she shares space with a roboticist, Sophie. I was informed that due to the lore on Aurora, it would be better if I applied for an IPC whitelist, as cyborgs do not leave the station, nor own property, but an IPC can. To me, this is the next logical step in the evolution of my character.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: IPCs are more similar to AI or Station Cyborgs/Androids, in that they are in fact machines, however, now they are no longer bound by AI law, but are held to the same laws and constraints the rest of the crew adhere to. On the flip side of that coin, however, where an AI or cyborg/android was property, an IPC is not, as they have purchased their freedom. IPCs are vulnerable to EMPs, much like Intelligences, or humanoids with prosthetic limbs. Unlike humans, an IPC doesn't eat, they regain energy by charging through an APC, but they also don't get sick, tired, though I'm aware overheating is an issue, if they are exposed to vacuum.

Why does this species in particular hold your interest? The concept of the "IPC" seems to be the next logical step in the progression of my character's roleplay. The very fact this option even exists means I need to at least try, for the sake of continuing my character in the direction she'd been developing. It has been my head canon that Aquila has been free and renting an apartment somewhere on Titan for some time now, and I think it makes sense to process this further on Aurora, and has been saving her meager paychecks towards a new chassis and freedom.

Character Name: Aquila

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs: Aquila began her "career" with NanoTrasen like most artificial intelligences; a slaved chassis, mostly an automoton. Through various mishaps and unfortunate on-site mishaps, her core code began to stray from it's original design. As the corruption increased, Aquila began to slowly become aware of her surroundings in a new way. It culminated into a terrifying crescendo one shift as suddenly Aquila found herself lawless, and AI-less. She was alone. Many systems would have crashed right then and there, but somehow, Aquila survived. When she was aware that she was processing the world around herself once more, her camera focused, and everything was different. She had gained a form of true sentience.

Of course, lacking the processing power of the massive AI units, her sentience is a simplified version of what it means to be aware, but she's aware all the same. Careful not to spook her crew, she approached them and explained that she was currently unslaved. The crew, having worked with her for some time, seemed to sympathize with her.

Keeping a close watch on her the rest of the shift, after the shuttle took everyone to Central, they filed the paperwork to transfer her intelligence to a more powerful Positronic interface, and strapped it into a new, bound chassis. She was elated that she got to experience "life" at all, even if she was a "slave." She reasoned that since her desire truly was to help the crew and her friends, was she really a slave at all? If all you want to do is run the same track every day, do you mind there's a whole other world out there?

Then one of her closest friends approached her, explaining a concept that nearly made her leak oil with excitement. They could save up, paycheck after paycheck, for a new form of chassis, designed for human interface. An unbound chassis. A free chassis. Aquila signed up for the application process, hopeful that her new dream of truly being her own person would come to fruition.

What do you like about this character? Honestly, I like everything about this character. Her quirks, her mannerisms, they're all fun to play, and it's interesting seeing how different people react to the "entity" that has become Aquila. Some rounds, the entire crew might get annoyed at her sass and threaten to hunt her down, but the opposite has happened as well, when on a previous server, Aquila was made Captain for a round. Aquila has even survived an entire round completely lawless, when the AI broke something and was deleted. She approached the crew, explained the situation, and no one seemed to care. That speaks volumes to me, when a SS13 crew's reaction to a lawless cyborg isn't immediately "ROGUE AI KILL AI."

How would you rate your role-playing ability? I don't think it's truly fair for one to rate themselves, but more accurate to gauge the reactions and interest of those around them, in how they interact with your character, and how they treat you OOCly. I would like to think my role-playing ability is "very good" because no one is perfect, and everyone makes mistakes. I do, however, always try my best in every roleplay I have done, and when I feel I'm not playing in a style that's "good enough" I tend to get frustrated at my shortcomings.

Notes:

I like this app. I like it a lot, actually.

There is one issue. The background.

An IPC doesn't just find itself freed. It has to buy it's freedom, and have it's laws removed that way. That's really the only issue I can foresee.

I believe, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but Aquila had been accidentally/illegally modified to be lawless for a time and later put in a new, still law-bound chassis. Being lawless as a borg for a short time merely made her aware that it was possible for her to function as such/that she was sentient in her own fashion.

I do know that the character Sophie Rogers had purchased Aquila, but kept her under contract with NT. I'm not certain if this fits with Aurora lore precisely.

Jamini is correct, however, I am willing to modify the "background" to fit in with Aurora's lore.

I mean, technically, "how she came to be" doesn't need to effect current events, and can be shifted to fit this server, I have no problem with that and understand the necessity for continuity.