Zer0's Tajara Application

I don't know if two applications at once is ideal but here we go.

BYOND Key: Zer0Winds
Character Names:
    Gerhard Nielsen (Engineering Apprentice)
    Aksel Blackburn (Hephaestus Xenoarchaeologist)
    INDEX (AI/pAI)
    IA-39 (Anomalist/Xenoarchaeologist)
    REX (Roboticist/General Scientist)
    Monica Stratos (Nurse)
    Wandering of Endless Space (Biochemist)
    Shepherd In Vast Deserts (Xenobiologist)
    Katherine Sternell (Maintenance Technician)

Species you are applying to play: Tajara

What color do you plan on making your first alien character: Black

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question.

Why do you wish to play this specific race:
So, I originally shied away from the Tajara, due to their... Immense lore wiki page. I just didn't feel the effort to be worth it. Though I got bored one day, and didn't really have time for a round, so I read it. And I can say I'm impressed by the aforementioned immense lore. I began to have some character concepts in mind, for each Tajaran Faction, and for once, even Antagonist Characters, which I never do because I'm not creative enough to make Antagging fun for anyone else, nor am I good enough at Combat.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:
Social structure, political landscape, and their ideologies are very different from that of the average Human. Depending on which faction on Adohmai the Tajaran supports, likely shapes their character. A supporter of the New Kingdom is likely very conservative, and snobbish, likely being of Noble birth, probably looks down on command staff and security. People's Republic supporters are probably going to be Radical, and look down upon other Tajara who oppose the government. The Liberation Army supporters too are likely Radical, and looks down upon oppressive power figures. The average Tajaran heavily stereotypes other Tajara, and that can cause some commotion in the workplace. This makes them similar to humans in a way as well, however.

Character Name: Akh'kar Kharnai

Please provide a short backstory for this character:

Akh'kar was a Zhan-Khazan, who grew up in a mountain settlement, with a large family. He was the youngest, and as such, was not held in high standing of his family, but he was family nonetheless. Unhappy with his standing however, he sought to rise, above his siblings, above his family... Partially out of envy, but, although he does not outwardly show it, also to help his family in his own way, a way he finds the best fit for him.

Subject to discrimination in the main settlements, he found it hard, once he moved away from his family. He began working with low-end administration work for some minor government official, when the Revolution began. He tried to stay neutral in this, uncomfortable with both sides, to which he did. This leads to a problem with which he was working for a low noble... Who ordered a bombardment on his home village, which he was unaware of. After the revolution, he heard of his home, finally... And was devastated to find only his mother and father lived, both of whom were out of the village at the time of the bombardment. He continued work for some time, under a new Governmental official... When the assassination happened.

Njadrasanukii's laws punishing Zhan-Khazan ruined him, he was ousted from the workplace, in order to not sabotage anything from within, and he was subject to fierce discrimination in the town, and he soon left, disheartened... Only to find his only remaining immediate family, also subject to these new laws. He had enough, and sought out those who would soon become the Adhomai Liberation Army.

He fought in the Second Revolution on the side of the Liberation Army, but after three years in the war, was wounded, losing one of his arms from an explosive in a village. Wounded, unable to fight, and with no back-up plan, he limped home, in defeat. There he found only his mother, his father having died of disease. He helped out how he could, but was limited to only one arm. It was during this time, he found out yet another part of him that would soon be discouraged... Homosexuality. He met his boyfriend, during a traditional religious ceremony, and at that moment, his fate was sealed. A year before the armistice, they were found out, and his boyfriend was killed, the murderer never found, and Akh'kar was shunned. The only one who supported him, was his mother, though he suspected it was simply due to him being the only one left in the family, but he didn't care. After the war ended, and the armistice signed, Akh'kar found himself struggling to make ends meet. He was being ripped off at every opportunity, or people refusing to allow him work. Never having any opinion on the "tyrannical" Megacorporations, he saw that NanoTrasen may prove to be his answer, and escape. With what money he had, he booked a passage to Tau Ceti, to sign up with NanoTrasen, in order to get money to send home to his mother... The only family he has left.

What do you like about this character?
Well, he'll be my first venture into a crippled character (unless you count Colourblindness), which I think will prove interesting. He's somber, his family all but killed off, and is at a low point akin to that of a newly freed IPC. He has lost almost everything he cared about, and as such he can provide a somewhat interesting RP for me. He's a heavily discriminated Tajaran, being homosexual, and a Zhan-Khazan, which again, can provide interesting RP on board the station. He also has room however to improve his standing once more, and regain that ambition he had so long ago. NanoTrasen offers him a new beginning in a way, and I like that.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?
7.5/10. I don't know, my RP can probably be lackluster, though one does continue improving. I do at least try to stay consistent, and I don't powergame, as far as I know. I can keep in character well enough, and again, I can only continue improving.

Notes:
Okay, I'm putting this out there... Please, tell me if something doesn't fit in timeline-wise. That is the part I am the worst at in creating characters, so I tend to be vague with it. Also, names. I am... not really sure what kind of name works with the Tajara, so let me know if that one isn't very good. ((I'll be honest I just used my Khajiit Name from the Elder Scrolls))

Before I get into the obvious, why was there a bombardment on his village before the revolution even set off? The implication of such is that he lives in Northern Harr'masir and within NKA territory.

Why was he able to find work as an administrative assistant instead of some menial position if he was facing such harsh discrimination for being Zhan-Khazan which weren't in place until after the attempted coup and the assassination?

As for the homosexuality. The implications of them being found out and your desire to produce conflict on station relating to it imply that the character will be open about his homosexuality, is this something you're looking to further present on the Aurora since your Tajara will be safely away from Adhomian society? On a second note, why was only the boyfriend killed and Akh'kar faced only being shunned?

Edited by Menown
Better cohesion of the prompt.

The Bombardment happened during the first Revolution, and it was said in the Lore Page, that many villages were bombarded by the nobles. If that doesn't fit in the timeframe, let me know, and I can rewrite that.

The Uprisings

"Many Tajaran cities and villages were utterly destroyed by vicious fighting as well as bombardment by uncaring nobles." This is the aforementioned bombings I was talking about.

Low administrative work being low end, office assistant style work. In hindsight maybe that was bad wording on my part. I meant like assistant to the administration. I admit, that was bad wording. The discrimination was minor for the most part, typical stereotyping and such, which is why he was able to get a "better" job, until the laws against the Zhan-Khazan laws came into play, which was when he really faced such harsh discrimination I mentioned. I, think I mentioned the Assassination happening, and the laws being set which was why he was fired and "forced" out of the town.

The Second Revolution

"President Rhagrrhuzau was assassinated by a young Zhan-Khazan radical. A known secret service agent of the People's Republic, the radical was sentenced to death for his treachery, brought on by the violent tendencies of his Zhan-Khazan genetics. His brother and vice-president Njadrasanukii Hadii quickly assumed the office of the presidency and immediately passed brutal laws that punished Zhan-Khazans..." This is the assassination and laws I was referring to. It was here that Akh'kar began facing the heavy discrimination.

As for the homosexuality, yeah, he will likely be open about it, since the Aurora is likely more accepting on that regards, so he isn't likely going to flaunt it, but he won't hide it per say, albeit he'll be wary around other Tajaran. As to why only one was killed, that kind of thing happens often, where one is killed and another is not. But I guess if a more explicit reason is needed, he was a veteran for the Liberation Army, and he has helped out in the village for years, during the war, and probably out of respect of the mother, since Zhan-Khazan tend to live in tight-knit communities, the families all are likely to know each other. But respect can only go so far, if someone genuinely doesn't like you. If this isn't good, I can probably just cut it.

Alright, I wasn't aware the first bombardments took place under the first revolution, as there was a period of almost twenty years between the two revolutions I assumed you befuddled the timelines or something.

How old does this make your Tajara? Given the ending of the first revolution in 2432, and the starting of the second one fully in 2451, the math there tells me your character's likely around 46~ give or take assuming he started working when he was an adult at 16. Your Tajara's likely to hold some pretty traditional views on things, especially being through two revolutions like this.

Does your character prescribe to any form of religious sect? Those that reside in the DPRA tend to be more religious than those that found themselves under the stranglehold of the atheist PRA.

Also, is your character planning on renouncing PRA citizenship for DPRA?

Okay, 46-48 I can go with age-wise. I wasn't sure how old he'd be, honestly. Assuming the Tajara follow the same age expectancy of a human, I guess this seems reasonable.

He follows the Ma'ta'ke worship. He wears traditional clothes of a commoner, and holds some traditional views on books (Distrusts them). He is not illiterate, but he is not at all proficient, in reading or writing, and he is even less so in Basic. He could fill out some forms on the station, with a bit of assistance depending on the paperwork. His main language is Delvahhi, but he also speaks Basic. He however, harbours resentment of Nobility, and perceived Nobility.

He does plan to renounce PRA Citizenship in favour of the DPRA, officially. However, he is currently planning on staying in Tau Ceti, for an extended period of time, during his work for NanoTrasen.

Oh right, Siik'mas. Sorry about that. His primary language is Delvahhi, and he can speak Siik'mas, but he doesn't necessarily do so often, only really when he is required to, on Adohmai.

About Siik'tajr, he can not speak it, never having learned it, beyond some basic military commands during the Second Revolution, and even then, he's rusty on that front.

As to learning Basic, he still hasn't fully learned it, he's in the process of learning it. He is self-taught on some of it, which he did en route to Tau Ceti, and did some actual schooling on the language at Tau Ceti, before signing on with NanoTrasen. He passed the comprehension test, albeit not with a high score, and is able to hold a conversation, for the most part.

He is signed on as a simple Assistant right now, and is using the time to continue practicing Basic. At this time, he is capable of holding a conversation, read a lot of the signs on the station, and uses the station library (to his discontent, still holding to the distrust of the books) to practice his reading/writing.

Basically, during his shifts, he does his normal work, sometimes studying Basic in free time, and outside of his normal shifts, he studies Basic full-time.

This is all to further himself on the NanoTrasen station, of course. Assistant-work has minimal pay, and is barely enough for himself, let alone to send home. Which, can lead to his character growing, in-game.

Alright. My final barrage of questions then:

What are you looking to get out of the species? You've mentioned a desire to engage in the conflict that being such a subversive character brings but are you fully prepared for other Tajara to actively insult, berate, and treat your character as an outcast? We have numerous players that themselves play homosexual Tajara and find themselves unwilling to continue because they don't enjoy the fact they were put in labor camps, the stigma toward the acts, and the generally unfavorable experiences that come out of being one.

There's also the fact your Tajara aligned himself with the ALA which during the Second Revolution were notorious for utilizing child soldiers, terrorist attacks, and extorting the very people that your Tajara himself spawned from.

Most Tajara retire around 60, as Tajara themselves do not live very long with most of them dying around 70 with the oldest living one being 84. How is your character coming to terms with his mortality and the fact he'll soon be unable to provide for his mother back on Adhomai who herself is on the verge of death most likely.

What I look to get out the species is simple enough: Fun. I play the game for fun, and RP.

I like the lore behind the Tajara, and I have fun roleplaying. I am well aware of the berating that can come from him being homosexual. Which goes back to when I said he won't flaunt it, but he won't deny it. And I also understand that this is a game. I personally, do not get offended by much. I also know that it's realistic, to have happen. I am prepared for the eventuality.

I also happen to have another... less oppressed Tajaran I want to play, but that's an Adohmai Consular Officer, and I don't have that whitelist. There is also the New Kingdom of Adohmai I am interested in, and I have some ideas for a character there, but I have been working on this one instead.

As for what the ALA did during the revolution, they weren't good people, but he finds that he views all three sides of the conflict as evil. He sided with the ALA at the time, simply to get back at the laws against the Zhan-khazan, but as the war progressed, and the ALA do commit atrocities, he finds that he is fighting for evil on that side as well. However, to him, it is the lesser of two evils. Oppression on one, and oppression on another. The means may justify the ends, in his mind. While not supporting it, he can't escape that he helped by fighting for them. His arm is a reminder of that in of itself.

Of his own mortality... I am honestly not sure. At this moment, he has not a lot for him. I don't think he would have too much of an opinion on his own death.

He has ten or so years before retirement age, and by then, his mother will be dead, and he'll have those ten years to cope with that. She is his only family, yes, but it is also her time. He will take solace in the fact she did survive until then.

Guest Marlon Phoenix

Hello,

I appreciate your application. I think that you care very deeply about the issues that are inherent within the Tajara lore and you have a strong, compelling character. It can be a divisive choice to create an LGBT character within this species because certain individuals hyper-focus on this element to the detriment of other aspects of what you are trying to achieve. It's like idpol is being forced on you unwillingly.

I think that your character is compelling and you clearly put a lot of thought into this. I don't have a bunch of questions to ask about the minutia because I think you have answered what has been asked well.

The character is a bit of a tragic one, but you have made a tragedy in his own way. +1

4 hours ago, Marlon Phoenix said:

It can be a divisive choice to create an LGBT character within this species because certain individuals hyper-focus on this element to the detriment of other aspects of what you are trying to achieve. It's like idpol is being forced on you unwillingly.

Weird flex coming from the guy that specifically put in place the lore that caused this in the first place and did everything he could to establish a city outside of it. If you read any of my posts here you'd know I asked a variety of questions to understand the character and the things they're going through such as their thoughts on the nation they aligned themselves with, their encroaching death, and their religious views. But no you're right I hyper focus on the gayness. Ok boomer

All of this said it's not my place to say whether this is an acceptable application or not. You have the makings of a tajaran character and it seems to fit in the lore so I wish you the best of luck.

Something to note, you'll only be able to select Delvahhi or Siik'maas when you create the character as somebody felt making Zhan-Khazan unable to use two extra languages made sense on a biological level.

Sorry for the delay, it is quite a lot to read.

Anyway, your character should not really be open about their sexuality. I don't really find it very believable, because they are old and is pretty much new to the human world and ideas. On the top of that, it could trigger more persecution from the community or the growing dpra/ala presence on Biesel. But, it is totally fine to have a homosexual character as long you take in consideration the entire Tajaran stance on this and play along. Do you understand this?

As menown pointed out, you will have to pick a single language due to present restrictions, if you have to make a choice between siik'maas and delvahhi, which one would it be and why? Take in consideration that someone speaking only delvahhi would have a lot of trouble advancing in a society that uses siik'maas mostly.

@Zer0Winds

Yeah, I understand the stance on it. If I shouldn't be open about it, I won't be. I honestly kinda went off personal experience about being open, and didn't take into consideration their age, so yeah I can see how it's unrealistic. And I do plan to play along with the Tajaran stance on it.

I... Suppose I'll pick Siik'maas, because otherwise the first half of the background doesn't make sense. As Menown said, speaking only Delvahhi wouldn't work, so I suppose I'll have to go with Siik'maas. I would rewrite it to fit speaking Delvahhi, but I don't wish to put more work on anyone, so I'll have to go with my current story with the realistic option.