Stephanie Weisgarber - Xenobotanist

Za'Akaix'Zygr Zo'ra - EMT

Species you are applying to play: 

Dionae

What color do you plan on making your first alien character: 

N/A

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?:

Yes

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format.

Why do you wish to play this specific race: 

As somebody who enjoys pushing the boundaries of the types of characters I'm comfortable roleplaying as, I'm really fascinated by the different opportunities there are RP-wise with the Dionae as a race. A lot of the characters I play tend to err on the side of lawful neutral, and the ones that don't fall into that category tend to be a little more aggressive/confrontational. While empathy or being emotional obviously isn't a character trait unique to Dionae, the ability to really, literally feel the exact same experience someone else has through the consumption of blood has, to me, a lot of very interesting potential for roleplaying. 

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: 

They're plants, and there are a few consequences of that mechanically. Firstly, they need radiation, usually in the form of light, to get up and work or do whatever they have decided to do that day. They're completely ambivalent to changes in atmosphere or pressure, potentially making them good for non-emergency EVA roles like Xenoarchaeologist, Shaft Miner, etc. Diona gestalts are also an aggregate of individual nymphs, each of which has their own personality to roleplay out, and their own individual memories to be held responsible for, and potentially lost. Nymphs can consume the blood of others to gain their memories, experiences, and knowledge, and nurture in the form of blood consumption has a greater bearing on the gestalt's personality than nature.

Character Name:

Kindness of a Wounded Mother, Lab Assistant/Scientist

Please provide a short backstory for this character:

Erin Carpenter was a low-level bank teller working for an Idris branch in the same skyscraper as her meager apartment dwelling in the Eridani Federation. She worked the job to earn her living in between her time spent at an internship and Bishop Cybernetics, and her work as a graduate student at the Epsilon Eridani Academy of the Sciences. Although very industrious, and brilliantly intelligent for her age, Erin's frequently found her time and attention dominated by these three responsibilities, leaving little time for her to spend with her family, or a relationship, both of which she desperately wished she could have. Perhaps even too desperately. 

As Erin progressed through her internship, she found herself interacting more and more with her direct supervisor Michael Yung, a very charismatic Eridani suit who was always very happy to listen to and console her about her recently troubling life. As the two spoke more and more, conversations became increasingly more flirtatious, and the two found themselves in a clandestine office romance, which was strictly against the policy of her branch. Regardless, the two continued the relationship in secret, until news of Erin's pregnancy by Michael came to both of their attention. At first, Yung completely avoided Erin, but when that stopped working, Yung, having been backed into a corner, fired Erin, falsely claiming she had been caught stealing a single client's card information on security camera footage. The slander offered only moderate damage to her reputation while still getting her fired, but the damage was just enough to have ruined her life. Yung thought little of it, as another equally beautiful teller would come to fill Erin's role within the next few weeks, both occupationally and romantically.

Erin, unable to find other work to pay her tuition and other expenses, and being exiled from her family for having done what she did, became a dreg, any potential she would have as a future scientist squandered. Her child, after she was born, was given up for adoption, which became a great source of pain for Erin throughout her adult life. As a very intelligent and respectable woman, she distanced herself as much as she could from other dregs. She never dyed her hair, or took on the punk lifestyle that those who live on Eridani's surface are wont to. Her only interaction with other dregs was occasional repairs she did under the table for gang members with augmented limbs and organs; she was otherwise a hermit. A hermit who, one day, happened upon a cluster of dionae spores, covered in a threadbare layer of ambergris, likely weathered upon its entry into the atmosphere. Knowing none of these seeds would last on Eridani's horribly polluted surface, she took the seeds into her care, growing them in an abandoned greenhouse a short ways away from her home.

In the absence of a significant other, a child, a family, an ambition, of anything she had lost the day she was fired from Idris, her only source of genuine joy in the world became the care of these nymphs. As each spore germinated in the barely functioning hydroponics trays in the greenhouse, there became enough to, after some time, form a 4' tall diona cyclops from the battered seed pod she had found. The aggregate of these nymphs referred to themselves as the experience they had felt most in their life, Kindness of a Wounded Mother, and having been gifted her blood and felt all that she had felt, strived to help Erin move to the nearby Tau Ceti system and escape her poverty. Kindness of a Wounded Mother quickly tested out of more elementary classes at the same university Erin attended, and now holds several science degrees related to bluespace and phoron technology. However, they're currently defending their right to their degrees while working aboard the NSS Aurora as a lab assistant, while sending the money they earn to Erin to help her afford her flight off of Epsilon Eridani, and into Tau Ceti.

What do you like about this character?

I like that they're a synthesis of their human parent's ambition and intelligence, the calm, serene nature intrinsic to Diona, and their sense of empathy towards the suffering of others. I also intend to make softness and a sometimes overly-kind or coddling demeanor one of this character's flaws, which is not currently something I have for any other character. I'm interested in the roleplaying opportunities that are present in this character, and how I can use them to make everybody's round a little more interesting and fun. 

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

8/10, and getting better the more I play on the server. 

Hi there!

Firstly, I enjoy the application.  It seems well thought out, and the character concept is frankly extremely interesting!

I do have some questions though. 

1) Dionae are not capable of receiving citizenship from the Eridani Federation. Would this affect your application, or do you plan to incorporate it? 

2) How does KoaWM view this adopted child? Similar to a sibling, or more so just an obstacle? 

3) Where do you see this Diona down the line?

Thanks for applying! I'll be waiting in anticipation for the answers.

57 minutes ago, Caelphon said:

Hi there!

Firstly, I enjoy the application.  It seems well thought out, and the character concept is frankly extremely interesting!

I do have some questions though. 

1) Dionae are not capable of receiving citizenship from the Eridani Federation. Would this affect your application, or do you plan to incorporate it? 

2) How does KoaWM view this adopted child? Similar to a sibling, or more so just an obstacle? 

3) Where do you see this Diona down the line?

Thanks for applying! I'll be waiting in anticipation for the answers.

1) With that being the case, I would want to rework their backstory to have them be a stowaway in a cargo shuttle headed towards the Republic of Biesel, and gain their citizenship, education, etc there, provided that that is possible in the lore. Nymphs can scatter and hide in places where humans can't, and maybe sometime in KoaWM's past, an opportunity arose that they saw and couldn't refuse, despite the emotional consequences of leaving their mother figure behind.

2) The child that Erin gave up for adoption (and she did give her child away, and so they're no longer with her, not sure if I made that clear.) would be to KoaWM like an estranged sibling. Because KoaWM's entire history of receiving blood gifts comes solely from Erin, they have a tendency to think of themselves as something between an adopted child of Erin's, and her real blood-related child. While KoaWM may seek out information about Erin's child passively, they're primary focus right now is earning enough money to help Erin earn her citizenship, working as much as possible.

3) Likely advancing further through the ranks of NT's science department, maybe settling for a salaried research position, their reasoning being that it's the most consistent way of earning their income. Their ideal living arrangement would be with Erin and her estranged child (once found), in a small dwelling somewhere less populous than the bustling Mendell City. Probably somewhere relatively quieter on New Gibson or Luthien, where they could put any place resembling the vast cityscapes of Eridani behind them.

Hope this helps!

• Yonnimer changed the title to [Accepted]Loco's Diona App
  • Yonnimer locked this topic