Ion Rifle Adjustments

Haveatya

25 minutes ago, Carver said:

Permanence does not apply to synthetics, unlike the other species which are wholly unrevivable.

I have noted an item earlier in this thread which is repeatedly forgotten, Screenshot_23.png.ff9352681a06dbe36129ba9b5c780420.png

If you are a traitor (or anyone with telecrystal access), one of the few roles which has 0 back-up (contrasted with station roles) then you should be using this like you'd be wearing armour if you were concerned about lasers or ballistics.

I will now list alternate methods of disabling Ions or their users for non-uplink roles - particularly relevant to specific G2 players whom desire to be nigh-unkillable.

• Wizards: Magic Missile - A staple, especially assuming you're capable of basic dodging (i.e.: every model but G2) you will force your opponent to run the fuck away or get floored.
  • Chemists/Scientists: EMP mixes of your own - Ions are energy weapons, easily capable of being drained - and unlike the Wizard's Destroy Technology spell, this method can be used without risk to yourself.
  • The Forgotten Methodry: Disable the Hand - Curiously, shooting an Ion Rifle wielder in their hand with a suitably non-terrible ballistic firearm will disable them as easily as their rifle disables you.
  • Space Fighting - NBT-only: Jetpacks - No matter how slow you are, you're near-impossible to hit if you're in space with a jetpack where racial move speed doesn't apply. NBT-only because the asteroid map shuts this one down on all but the cooling z-level, but still worth remembering if one decides to revive this complaint down the line.
  • The Anti-Valid Salad: Avoidance - If you spot an enemy wielding EMP weaponry and don't believe you're capable of fighting them, then don't. Not every fight is winnable.
  • Shawshank Redemption: Escaping Prison - Surrender is a valid option, and for an antagonist you have numerous methods (Implants or having a partner to help) to allow you to prepare a prison escape with ease.
  • The Group Antagonist: Healer Positioning - Imagine you're a party in an MMO when you're fighting as a group. You, the vulnerable member, should avoid drawing the aggro and let the tank (organics) soak up the Ion/EMP. Stay in back, stay safe. This is the standard method of any remotely competent crew IPC, as well.

Lasers are a non-factor easily avoided by donning armour. Ions are a fair response to a 'species' that is revivable, trivially repaired and wholly immune to standard disabling methods (HALLOSS) whilst being notably tanky (G2s in armour being near-immortal against every single thing but Ion/EMP, which leads me to be curious of your intent).

Play smart, instead of asking for a nerf to one of your singular racial weaknesses.

Please, your sarcasm and hostility is not productive to this type of discussion. 

16 minutes ago, Pratepresidenten said:

I dont really see this as sarcasm and hostility. Looks like cold, hard facts to me.

And this looks perfectly sensible to me. If you dont wanna be dicked by the rifle, play smart or wear protection.

If there was protection against Ion weapons killing me almost immediately, this thread wouldn't exist. Irrelevant, No one here that agrees me believes the Ion Rifle should be removed. We're asking for it to be updated and more in line with the combat changes that have occurred over the past few years. Many counter arguments have been others telling me and people in support of this suggestion that we're powergamers and/or bad. Others are saying that because X and Y can't kill you easily, Z should kill you instantly, which is not a productive train of thought. I would not even consider the changes offered as a nerf, just a change in its purpose from an all-in-one synthetic deleter to a tool in successfully engaging an IPC. The same way that Flashbangs or tranquilizers are treated against organics.

• Gem locked this topic