Flpfs IPC Application

BYOND Key: Flpfs
Character Names:
Laura Sari - Roboticist
John Tilap - Security Officer
Species you are applying to play: IPC
What color do you plan on making your first alien character: N/A
Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question.

Why do you wish to play this specific race:
I have been interested in IPCs for a bit now, I like the lore and RP style that is totally different from playing a Human character.
Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:
IPCs, different from humans, make every choice based on cause and effect, with self preservation as it's top priority and while they do mimic Human behavior due to their design, they will never behave as fully human.
IPCs are also always designed for a purpose, making them usually unable to seek other fields of occupation other than the one they were designed for.

Character Name: HHPU-1281
Please provide a short backstory for this character:
Hephaestus Hazardous Prospector Unit, number 1281, is a second generation industrial frame, manufactured at the HPS Amóni, designed for mining and logistics, with it's primary focus on executing dangerous mining operations in environments that are not safe for organic life.
While some may say that the HHPU line is simply generic, it is quite the opposite, HHPUs are very well designed and quite expensive, it's hardy frame being made to resist long hours of operation and punishment, this combined with advanced decision-making capabilities to avoid it's destruction in environments where a single slip can prove deadly, HHPUs are considered an expensive but lucrative investment.
The area where the designers of this model did not invest much time in is interaction with organic coworkers, due to it's autonomous design.

What do you like about this character?
I like the fact that while HPPU appears to be cheap and simple, it is in fact a top of the line model, and while it might not be the best talker, it will surely prove itself worthy and get the job done.
How would you rate your role-playing ability?
I would say it's good enough.
Notes: None

The application is very bare bones and calls for a two paragraph minimum. Moreover although I am open to allowing those new to the server to apply for applications early on, their application will be judged more harshly. Can you expand of the backstory?

2 hours ago, Flpfs said:

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

Moreover can you expand on this section here?

Expanding on what differs IPCs from Humans
Different from Humans, the IPC is a machine designed to operate on a basis of input and output, cause and effect, without the random variable of human behaviour. That means while a Human is influenced by biases, instinct, and emotions in making in its decisions, the IPC will simply take in the information it's presented with, and react to it accordingly, this means that IPC behaviour is repeatable and will never be random, if you present the same input to the IPC, it will always give you the same output, the IPC will never behave in an odd or aberrant manner like Humans might.
With self-preservation as it's top priority, the IPC will never behave in a way that will result in its certain death like a Human might do, while a Human security officer might, for example, sacrifice himself by jumping in front of a bomb to save the lives of his friends, the IPC will never do that, as that would surely result in its death. This, however, does not mean that it will never help people, while the IPC will surely save its colleague from gunfire, it will never act in a reckless manner and run towards gunfire to be a distraction.
While IPCs are designed to mimic Human behaviour due to its design, it will never fully manage to do this, with degrees of success varying by the model, and even it's emotional processes will operate on its binary model. Many mannerisms and social cues are lost to IPCs, and often even IPCs designed for service occupations will sometimes have problems interacting with Humans.
Also different from Humans, IPCs are purpose-made, and while over time they may learn traits or hobbies, only very rarely you will see an IPC switch its occupation.

Expanding on character's backstory
HHPU-1281, after being manufactured, was assigned to Mars for a year of mining as it's first posting and despite its shortcomings in socialization, 1281 attempted to talk with its coworkers during its downtime. This led to it developing a strong Martian accent and having a positive opinion about it's fellow human and unathi coworkers. 81 was the subject of constant pranks on the worksite and has developed a sense of humour some might call interesting.
Two weeks before its assignment was complete, 81 and a drill technician were injured when a mining charge malfunctioned in front of them, 81 was heavily damaged, and the technician knocked out. While 81 did manage to rescue itself and its colleague, the blast caused severe damage to its chassis. Hephaestus decided that repairing the chassis was simply not worth it and just decided to sell 81 at an auction. NanoTrasen saw a profit in acquiring a highly specialized mining unit, even while it was damaged, and ended up purchasing 81. Now repaired, 81 must adapt to its change of owner and new working environment in the NSS Aurora.

Edited by Flpfs
edit allowed by loredev

While this app is very bare bones, I have RPed with both of their stated characters and I think they would be an excellent fit for an IPC whitelist.

You obviously know the basics of how to roleplay and beep boop as a robot, so why not +1!

Sorry for the partial delay.

On 01/08/2020 at 02:00, Flpfs said:

81 was the subject of constant pranks on the worksite and has developed a sense of humour some might call interesting.

What do you mean by this? How does the sense of humor manifest and why is it interesting? Moreover although Heph hires a lot of Unathi, there's no mention of them on Mars. What chassis is the IPC?

@niennab

81 is a G2 frame.
About it's sense of humor, it manifests mainly when interacting with it's fellow workers at cargo. Secretly ringing the desk of a distracted desk worker, placing funny hats on technicians that sleep on the job and even once dressing up as a wizard for costume day, 81 has learned from it's fellow miners on Mars that lighthearted fun is a good way to build new relationships.

I sat on this for a bit but I am going to have to deny the application for now. The application is nearly there, but there with a lack of feedback, a new account and a few questions, I am on the fence about it all.

I think this is a very interesting point however.

52 minutes ago, Flpfs said:

81 has learned from it's fellow miners on Mars that lighthearted fun is a good way to build new relationships.

I recommend fleshing out the backstory and reapplying. As an example of concerns I still have, if 81 was able to pull themselves and another miner to safety, how were they damaged enough to warrant being sold all together?

Nonetheless feel free to apply in a minimum of three days.