Ejundersc0re's Diona Application

BYOND Key: Ejundersc0re

Character Names: Leah Conally, Anatu Parish, Rayna Parish, Terezinha Scarsi, Amy Hallray, HELIX, SUNFIRE.

How long have you been playing on Aurora: About three months I believe.

Species you are applying to play: Dionaea.

What color do you plan on making your first alien character (Dionaea & IPCs exempt): N/A.

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: I have.

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

I think the Dionaea are a really interesting race that has a lot of roleplay potential, and I'm very fond of their quirks. More specifically, I'm a big fan of how certain players on the server roleplay Dionaea; especially their speaking mannerisms. While their speech methods aren't the ONLY thing I find interesting, it's something that has specifically captured my attention when dealing with them in-game, and something I hope to add onto in my own way. While I currently don't have an exact idea for how I want my specific Dionaea to speak, I do hope to add to our respectable Dionaea crew in the future.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

The Dionaea aren't "individuals" in the same way that a Human, Tajaran, Unathi or Skrell are, but instead are a complex mass of multiple organisms working together. Unlike the individual, which formulates opinions and beliefs of their own, as well as making decisions based on these beliefs, the Dionaea emulate those entities which they were around as adolescents, picking up their traits and personalities. I think this makes for interesting roleplay potential, because it's quite literally limitless. A Dionaea could have practically any personality as long as it were subjected to the proper circumstances and conditions, and I think this is really awesome.

Why does this species in particular hold your interest?

I like trees.

No but really, I'm a huge fan of their mannerisms and it really makes me want to play one. Additionally, as I stated above, they have an almost limitless roleplay potential due to their method of obtaining personality. I also like the fact that the Dionaea tend to be extremely curious, yet oblivious to personal space and privacy; often times putting other characters (including my own) in awkward situations. And last... I find the fact that they are really slow hilarious. Something about watching them inch along doing their jobs as the crew divert around them makes me laugh every time.

Character Name:

"The Frigid Sting of a Winter's Gale Biting the Back of the Throat as a Breath of Fresh Air Enters the Lungs of the Wanderer" as the full name.

"Frigid Sting" in-game.

Please provide a short backstory for this character, approximately 2 paragraphs

A bright light blinds us. As it fades our world comes into view. Grey, cold, and desolate. This is the world we live in. An invisible force keeps us from leaving. Keeps us from escaping into the great blackness beyond. We turn. A large round creature of white stands before us, with a sphere of pink at the top. It vocalizes. We do not understand the strange noises. The creature reaches out to us from above. A flash of movement. A drop of red. A cry of pain. We understand now. This is Man. It stares at us, clutching its wound. Its eyes filled with anger. It turns away, picking up an object as black as the abyss we wish to escape to. It returns, covering our world. Light fading. We lie dormant...

A rumble! The light returns, red like the wound on the Man. We have not moved. How long has it been? We do not know. Our world rumbles again. A sound emanates from above us. The sound of Man. Different, yet the same. Suddenly our world tumbles. We are lower now. The invisible force has shattered. We are free. The cold, grey expanse lies before us. We run. A hole in the ground. We enter. Follow the tunnel. The rumbling gets stronger. It is dark. We feel tired. We must escape. Suddenly, a light ahead. We exit. The expanse of cold gray is replaced with yet more. We see the blackness. The infinite void is ahead. We run. An object is outside. A circle of blue and white. It is getting closer. Growing in size. Orange and red begin to fill the invisible force. Warmth. We watch as the circle draws closer, and wait...

We wake. What has happened? Where are we? It is cold. The gray is replaced with white. We turn. The gray is strewn along the white. Orange and red lick at the grey from tendrils of warmth. We explore. Man lie throughout the grey. We bite. A drop of red. Knowledge. These of Man are gone. Their home of cold and gray destroyed. We move. Man is still here. Their vocalizations come from over the gray mass. We climb atop the gray mass and look down on Man. There are two. One kneels beside the other. The laying Man is covered in the red of death. He gasps. The kneeling Man is shouting! We do not understand. We approach. We absorb the knowledge of the laying Man. The red. This Man is leaving this world. There is nothing to be done. We understand now. The thin kneeling Man with long brown tendrils surrounding a face of beige. A bulge of opaque covers the mouth of Man. They whisper apologies. Eyes filled with sadness. The laying Man departs. The thin Man stands. It's eyes filled with anger and regret. We follow as it wanders...

It goes far. It does not acknowledge us. The mass of grey disappears behind the white. The Wanderer takes a breath. It is fading. It completes it's journey to the mass of white. It stands atop, victorious, yet defeated. A flash of red. Another! But not the red of death. This is different. The Wanderer drops a grey disk. It flashes red again. The Wanderer removes the opaque mouth cover. It breathes. The wind stings it. A frigid gale. The fresh air enters as the Wanderer collapses, a cylinder of blue rolling away. We move. We bite. A drop of red. A cry. The Wanderer too weak to move. We understand. We move as quick as we can. The fresh air from the circle of white is not for Wanderer. We retrieve the blue cylinder. We struggle to move it, but we do. The Wanderer takes it weakly. The Wanderer attaches the opaque mouth cover to the cylinder, then puts it on. The Wanderer falls limp. A roar. We turn. Another grey mass approaches from the heavens. The Wanderer will be saved…

What do you like about this character?

This character I plan to put into my growing list of Atmospherics-related characters. I'm incredibly excited to see how this turns out, and I'm hoping I can quickly get this application approved (or denied so I can re-apply), and get in-game! I'm honestly not entirely sure how exactly I'm going to roleplay it yet, so it's going to be an initial challenge, but I'm confident I can bring something interesting.

How would you rate your role-playing ability?

This is a difficult question to answer, as assessing yourself is always an interesting experience. I'd say I'm a fairly competent roleplayer, and I always try my best to improve. I know that I personally can metagame or powergame a bit at times, but I've been straying away from that as much as I can. That being said, I've plenty of times walked right into a nuke ops or traitor trap when I knew exactly what was going to happen, because I knew my character wouldn't be able to tell the difference in real life. Overall I tend to be fairly observant when roleplaying, and try to remain conscious of my actions.

Notes:

Thank you for your consideration! Feedback is appreciated.

I've interacted with many of Ej's characters and I have yet to be disappointed. His characters seem to be well thought out and he does an excellent job of bringing them to life.

I have only had good experiences with Ej's RP, and I am happy to see that we'll be getting another high quality character soon.

+1.