Bunky Become Machine - IPC App

BYOND Key: BunkyB

Character Names: Oliver Kurtis, Asmaa Hanania

Species you are applying to play: IPC

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: 

Please provide well articulated answers to the following questions in a paragraph format. One paragraph minimum per question.

Why do you wish to play this specific race: After having spent a while writing and playing Dionae characters; I'd like to branch out further into other species. I don't have the motivation to apply for the more complex species, Unathi, Skrell and Tajara. Between Vaurca and IPC, I had to go with IPC; previously, I had much experience with IPC characters and writing/playing IPC characters of my own, skills I've learnt from other servers may be easier to apply here.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human: 

An IPC, or Integrated Positronic Chassis is a highly complex machine that bares a humanoid appearance, playing as an IPC would often require you to adjust your roleplaying to show that you aren't exactly human, this can be accomplished in a few ways:

Language: IPC's have their own unique language they can use to communicate with other IPC's and synthetics, they also posses slang terms and honorifics for this language.
Of course, IPC's own language is not the full extent of how they can alter their communication, as a machine, you can choose to take influence from pop-culture and speak like a machine using certain keywords such as; Affirmative, Processing and other computer-lingo. Integrating these types of words into general speech is great way to express yourself as an IPC.

Clothing and Appearance: Although most chassis' posses a reasonable humanoid appearance, some chassis, like the Zeng-Hu Mobility Frame, have distinct parts that alter their silhouette making them appear less human, you could make the choice to adjust your loadout to show these limbs, appendages or parts to make yourself appear less human.
Some humans have difficulties interacting with machines, including IPC's, resulting in a handful of IPC's attempting to look as professional and relatable as possible, covering themselves in suits, dresses and anything that makes them look friendlier and more appealing to humans.

IPC's can age similar to how humans can age, the longer they work and experience damage, the worse off they'll be; IPC's that have sustained a lot of damage may move slower, posses speech malfunctions and even have mismatched parts. An IPC's lifespan could be dramatically shorter or longer based on the circumstances they're in, whether they're owned or not is a huge factor in an IPC's upkeep.

Character Name: HephtG1-Al13

Please provide a short backstory for this character: 

HephtG1-Al13 is an older Hephaestus Generation One Industrial Chassis that was initially constructed at the HPS Amóni. Prior to the finalization of the of HPS Sidirourgeío Hephaestus Industries expressed a need for EVA Workers and Freighter Crew, deciding to producing a large batch of G1 chassis': Al13 is one unit from the 'Al' batch produced from 2417-2418, fifty units were produced not including spare parts, the chassis' that were produced had been neatly divided into their roles prepared for finishing the construction of the Sidirourgeío.

Al13 was amongst twenty-four other G1's assigned to one of Hephaestus Industries many freighters with the assigned task of re-supplying and re-fuelling the various construction sites around the Sidirourgeío, Al13's primary directive was, unsurprisingly, slugging around large crates and boxes from freighter-to-site and vice-versa. Al13 often conversed with any other G1's they could; trying to co-ordinate the most effective methods of hauling the boxes they did until the Sidirourgeío finished it's construction.

From twenty-four peers, to five peers, to ten subordinates; not long after the construction Hephaestus Industries top of the line facility, Al13 became a lower level management IPC, quickly and effectively submitting orders and guiding the IPCs under them, remaining in a lower lever administrative position until the introduction of the Hephaestus Industries Generation Two Industrial Chassis. The G2 wave hit hard and fast, all of Al13's subordinates being scrapped, repurposed or reassigned; due to the position Al13 held, they were able to remain relevant for a few years until their eventual dismissal from active work, being stored somewhere for later use.

The formation of the Stellar Corporate Conglomerate gave Hephaestus Industries an opportunity to show initiative and get rid of their older models, deciding to distribute unused G1's among the megacorps in the SCC. Awakening from low-power mode to a room they've never seen, Al13 found themselves on the NTCC Odin, being one of the G1's contracted out to one of NanoTrasen's stations.

Al13 is contracted to work as a Cargo Technician aboard the NSS Aurora.

What do you like about this character? Al13 allows me to understand how to play IPC while liaising with one of the lower effort jobs on-station. I really like Hephaestus Industries lore however I can't write a good human Hepht character, perhaps Al13 will be a better attempt.

How would you rate your role-playing ability? I have recently made a large effort to write a lot more for my main two characters, giving them fully fleshed out flavour-texts and giving them their own unique speech patterns. I think I've developed a better sense of how to roleplay from the time between my previous Dionae application and this IPC one.

Edited by BunkyB
further updates

Hello, thank you for applying. Are you able to greatly expand on the backstory? As is it is too bare bones and calls for a two paragraph minimum. I recommend trying to tell a story with it. Moreover, for the question about how they differ from humans, you get into what an IPC is but not how they differ from humans. Are you able to expand on that?

Hi! Sorry for taking so long to reply.
My intention with Al is to not have much of a character to start with, moulding them to form as I go along; as such I don't really have much of an idea on how I can expand on their backstory. How would you suggest I write more?

As for how IPC's roleplay, I may not be able to add any more to that for the next couple hours, adapting the wiki to writing takes a while for me, I have difficulties, I'll try my hardest, though.

Edited by BunkyB
spelling

I recommend looking into past applications that have been accepted. The story is a great place to demonstrate ones understanding of the concepts inherent to Auroran IPCs. Especially given this IPCs age, certainly they've gone through certain events or experiences that have shaped them into the synthetic they are today etc etc.

Ultimately the story is a way of proving that the wiki was read but more importantly understood. As such the blank slate archtype isn't suitable for whitelist applications.

There's no particular rush on expanding on the application as well. I like to wrap up every app 3 days from when it was originally posted however I can extend that period two more days if you'd like.

@niennab I've updated the role-playing section, it's not as good as I think it can be but I don't know what else to put in. I think I'm running out of time for this.

I'll recycle this app at a later date if the question still isn't fleshed out enough.

Most, if not all, IPC's are constructed to augment and fill a workforce and are therefore given the directive to complete their assigned work; IPC's of varying complexity may complete their work in different ways however, it is important to the IPC to see the job done.
Another one of most IPC's 'key directives' is to ensure their own safety, IPC's are expensive and almost every IPC is aware of their cost, regardless of if they are owned or not: A free IPC may be incredibly cautious around hazardous sites as they may not be able to afford their own repair, whilst an owned IPC, although still cautious, would divert less attention to the danger. 

The way an IPC thinks can greatly vary depending on the complexity and age of their positronic brain, an outrageously expensive IPC may be able to develop habits and complex memories while functioning in it's work, remembering and identifying their colleagues, superiors and subordinates different names, features and traits.
Compared to the highly complex IPC's previously mentioned, lower-end IPC's may not be able to process all of the information to a standard that the higher-end IPC's can, often leading to said lower-end IPC's not being able to progress far in their line of work, if being able to at all.

@The Stryker Is this enough, or should I expand more?