[Denied]Gr33dy Whitelist Application - Dionae

BYOND Key: Gr33dy

Character Names: Jati Hunt, Gamma Unit Cyborgs.

Species you are applying to play: Dionae

What color do you plan on making your first alien character: a darker almost grey color, I really like the idea of the Dionae being grown on a colder planet and having bark like a browner burch tree

Have you read our lore section's page on this species?: Yes

Why do you wish to play this specific race:

They seem really cool and unique with lots of RP potential. I also enjoy that they seem more difficult to play. I find there to be a lot of potential for creativity in aliens with as many pros and cons as Dionae and can't wait to see what I can do with them in the future. For now though I really enjoy how when they drink blood they gain memories, lots of potential with my drinks at the bar with that. I also like how they are pacifists meaning that I will be able to use consistent rules of engagement by only fighting back in self defense or in defense of others.

Identify what makes role-playing this species different than role-playing a Human:

Dionae are very different due to their speed and "mind" structure. The mind structure leads to lots of potential for characters, such as a tyrannical tune type that has their authoritarian nymph devoured in an attempt to shorten their power struggle in case of their death to preserve memories and see who the new authoritarian nymph will be. Maybe one who is addicted to blood and tries to buy some when the merchant comes around. Humans can not do this, they don't have gimmicks, I personally love gimmicks when making a character as building around them gives me a good starting point. Additionally as I play mostly cyborg it will get rid of a few limits I've had with character building and things I can use. 

Character Name: Endlessly Devoured Flowing Onward.  

Please provide a short backstory for this character: This is the character I was talking about earlier. As the name suggests this Dionae would be a tyrannical tune type who, to remain stable in case of their main nymph dying would collectively consume their corpse to retain some of the information that one would be storing and keep the power vacuum in check. They would attempt to talk, yell and argue about who would become the new head nymph based on memories consumed. This one rule of the gestalt would hopefully keep the in fighting to a minimum in case of death. As such their personality would be a bit jaded as a whole after a transfer of power as some memories would be emotionless and dulled. Death could almost be looked forward to by the lower nymphs, luckily for the head, they don't make the rules. The promise of power would likely keep peace among the lower ranks as well as they wait for their moment to be the head. They were born on a Adhomai in the snow covered dirt, evolving to survive in cold areas, inversely this would negatively effect their quality of life in warmer places. That and the fact that fire could destroy the whole gestalt, meaning the nymphs would not be able to gain their turn as the one in power, has given this Dionae a childlike fear of fire.

What do you like about this character?

I like how they have so many ways to evolve even after death. Provided only the head would be killed in the event of that death of course, the character could simply evolve and change over time, thats one of the things I love about cyborgs, they just grow as a character after they die. 

While it seems like you at least have understanding of Dionae Mind Types, there's not much here to show your understanding of other aspects of the Dionae.

Furthermore, you haven't actually made a backstory, in the backstory paragraph, instead only focusing on the personality, which isn't inherently a bad thing, but you need to balance out both personality and history. How did the Gestalt form? Why did the one nymph take charge of the whole? How did they come up with the name? Do they follow any religion, such as the Eternal? Which sect of the Eternal do they follow, if they do? And do they belong to any major Diona Cluster?

28 minutes ago, Zer0Winds said:

While it seems like you at least have understanding of Dionae Mind Types, there's not much here to show your understanding of other aspects of the Dionae.

Furthermore, you haven't actually made a backstory, in the backstory paragraph, instead only focusing on the personality, which isn't inherently a bad thing, but you need to balance out both personality and history. How did the Gestalt form? Why did the one nymph take charge of the whole? How did they come up with the name? Do they follow any religion, such as the Eternal? Which sect of the Eternal do they follow, if they do? And do they belong to any major Diona Cluster?

As for the backstory, they would have started out in the unforgiving cold, It would make sense that they would band together in an attempt to insolate heat and find survive. Some of the nymphs of this "spawning" would of course not make it and the gestalt would eat them to try to learn where they went wrong and how they ended up dying. This would effect the gestalt long term with as the gestalt becomes desensitized to this act. They would see how other gestalts would fall due to disorder within their nymphs and they would note they would need a leader. They came up with a rule that they would gain a leader nymph and from that point forward would devour the old leader in case of their death to avoid conflict and choose a new leader based on who gained the most memories from the old leader. The name would be chosen as, years down the line their leader would have likely died a few times, they would have been devoured many times throughout their time in the wild so they could move on and survive, Endlessly Devoured Flowing Onward. After years in the cold wild they would have likely eaten many life forms, including human like life to learn all they can. As they would learn of society they would try to naturally join it and leave the wild behind. Using the skills they learned from ingesting the blood of many life forms they would try and eventually succeed to integrate themselves into society. They follow no religion at the moment and belong to no larger Diona Cluster. 

As for the other aspects, I have read the wiki pages on the Dionae and believe I have a good understanding. If you do not think this is the case I am more than happy to look into them more.

I'm not the best at diona lore, and have some catching up to do before I can really say on this application. You seem to have a good and chipper attitude and a genuine interest! But the application itself is fairly barebones on Endless. Theres a lot about the Tyranical Tune type and cold wilderness, but not a lot about who the character really is. I don't really feel a sense of who the character is, so much as how they transfer nymph power and drink blood. I'm also a bit puzzled by the sentence about human-like life, and wouldn't mind clarification, or also, possibly, how they were made on Adhomai and how that factors into their life.

Of course! So essentially when I said human like life the word I was looking for is more along the lines of organic life but could not quite find the words at the time. And as for who the character is, I imagine them as someone who has a fairly relaxed and jaded when it comes to death as they sadly would have experienced a light amount of it vicariously through there past leaders. (this is inspired by some of the other Dionae I've seen on the station who seem afraid for losing members of their gestalt I wanted to play around with that and make it so if they died the other nymphs might even be happy.) They would be very in touch with their desire to drink blood and other living things as they did it for a large part of their life. The taboo nature of such acts would be almost lost in the context of Dionae culture.  Of course in civil society they know its wrong and refrain from doing so, for this reason they are unable to work in medical with all the blood that would be there it would be torture, just knowing that all of that knowledge floating around in there would be lost or going to someone else. Other than that they would be a normal and helpful member of the crew, working in robotics to learn more about robots and help the borgs that often get stepped all over. They have a soft spot for the people deemed lesser by the greater population due to their time on Adhomai, seeing those being treated poorly by the authoritarian government on it and being treated badly by it would give them a need to protect those who need it most. On Arora that's often borgs and what not. They take great pride in their work, always making sure the borgs are fully upgraded and happy (as happy as a borg can be) in their shells. They would also spend lots of time in the library trying to read about all the things they could not on Adhomai. They would often find themselves presenting as scholarly and try to self improve. A gentleman who is deeply into the strange wide world of space, being close to xenoarcheology and being able to hear the latest finds would also be a joy for them. I do hope I'm portraying the kind of vibe they would give off. I can't wait to develop this little dude more on the station provided this gets accepted. I'll admit I don't think I'm that good at starting a characters story but I have always excelled and LOVED the development of characters. Please let me know if its still a bit bare bones, I really like this character and if they are not in a good place right now for acceptance I am totally willing to take feedback and improve them. Thank you so much for your time ❤️

Hello, after some discussion I'm gonna have to deny your app.

Your answer to the questions are fine, however, the character's backstory is fairly lacking. Ideally, it should focus mostly on where they came from and how they got to Biesel and began working on station rather than just an explanation of the personality. You'd want their backstory to explain why they have the character traits and opinions on things that they do. 

The team also has some concerns over your play with the game, most specifically when it comes to antagplay. If you have any questions regarding this feel free to DM me.

I do also want to add that Dionae from Adhomai are not allowed as they are pretty much nonexistent. You are free to reapply in the future, however, I'd suggest waiting at least a month, ideally two.

• Yonnimer changed the title to [Denied]Gr33dy Whitelist Application - Dionae
  • Yonnimer locked this topic